Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Racing and Competition
Reload this Page >

My strongly worded email to AEM: Their website is over HTTP!

S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My strongly worded email to AEM: Their website is over HTTP!

 
Old 06-11-2018, 04:35 PM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
RedCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 15,262
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default My strongly worded email to AEM: Their website is over HTTP!



Mods, feel free to move this, but I want it to be known that if and when you log into the AEM website, currently, that your password is going across the Internet unencrypted and in plain text. Also, the PII you enter is also doing the same. Protect yourself, email AEM if you're a customer and tell them you want them to get with the program and protect their customers. This is not okay.

You can also message them here: http://aeminfinity.com/Contact/
RedCelica is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by RedCelica:
Afterfire (06-12-2018), freq (06-12-2018), jp182 (07-15-2018), sirbikealot7 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:34 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 636
Likes: 0
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RedCelica View Post


Mods, feel free to move this, but I want it to be known that if and when you log into the AEM website, currently, that your password is going across the Internet unencrypted and in plain text. Also, the PII you enter is also doing the same. Protect yourself, email AEM if you're a customer and tell them you want them to get with the program and protect their customers. This is not okay.

You can also message them here: AEM Electronics - AEM Infinity

Thanks for taking the effort to email them and also notifying the community.
Sickdayracing is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Sickdayracing:
adrs2k (06-12-2018), RedCelica (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scottsdale, Az
Posts: 1,134
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

The excuse to not run SSL is long gone. They are free now.
Chibo is offline  
The following users liked this post:
anorexicpoodle (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 828
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chibo View Post
The excuse to not run SSL is long gone. They are free now.
So much this.

Also cost should never be an excuse for any business to be irresponsible with their customer info, even non-payment info.
anorexicpoodle is offline  
Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 AM
  #5  
 
DanielB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 453
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Didn't Google say that a soon-to-be-released version of Chrome will block http sites? Or perhaps they will just make it harder to get to them via severe warnings?
DanielB is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 AM
  #6  
 
InsaneSp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,479
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Nerd.
InsaneSp is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by InsaneSp:
RedCelica (06-15-2018), robrob (06-24-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 01:22 PM
  #7  
 
F1_DNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 138
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I registered an account with safe racer a few years ago. My welcome email included my password in plain text! I immediately emailed them and advised them to purge any record of myself from their system to which they never responded. Thankfully I never entered a credit card or anything of the like into their site yet.
F1_DNA is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:16 PM
  #8  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
RedCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 15,262
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

For now I'm doing a password reset each time I log out. This is dumb. Even dumber, httpS://www.aemelectronics.com is...well...encrypted. Maybe they'll be smart enough to add a SAN record to that cert when they have to renew it on Sept 11, and use the same cert for both sites.


Where the hell do I download my base tune from? I talked to my tuner, who said it was suppose to be on their site...not finding it.
RedCelica is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,324
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RedCelica View Post
For now I'm doing a password reset each time I log out. This is dumb. Even dumber, httpS://www.aemelectronics.com is...well...encrypted. Maybe they'll be smart enough to add a SAN record to that cert when they have to renew it on Sept 11, and use the same cert for both sites.

Where the hell do I download my base tune from? I talked to my tuner, who said it was suppose to be on their site...not finding it.
the infinity tuner download/installer includes the base maps
afzan is online now  
The following users liked this post:
RedCelica (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 PM
  #10  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
RedCelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 15,262
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by afzan View Post
the infinity tuner download/installer includes the base maps
Thanks! Just found it under c:\users\<un>\Documents; loaded it and viola, base tune installed. Will see if she cranks in the morning after I change the oil on the other vehicles.
RedCelica is offline  

Quick Reply: My strongly worded email to AEM: Their website is over HTTP!


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands