S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

NASA Southeast Region Honda Challenge 2014

Old 07-09-2014, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NASA Southeast Region Honda Challenge 2014

I finally joined the ranks of a K Pro tuned race car. Worth every penny especially when all your competitors have tuned motors. Special thanks to Jason Su at SujaOne Motoring for the perfect tune to keep my car up to pace with my closest competitor. For the last 2 years I have watched him pull me out of every corner and walk away down every straight. Well, as of my first event with the tune, I finally put him in my rear view!

Saturday's race started off with a bad rolling start. Not used to the extra power I ran up on the cars in front and with them already 3 wide I actually had to hit the brakes, then a miss shift so I went into turn one dead last. Worked my way back up but only got to 4th by the end if the race. Sunday was a different story. Great start and stayed on the tail of my closest competitor for the first 30 minutes, keeping the pressure on, showing my wheel a few times and waiting for a mistake. He over cooked his tires trying to run away but I was still right there. As he had a big drift out of turn 6, my car was planted (thanks to David Isbell's alignment and Papaya Motorsports suspension) I got the drive and passed him. He only got smaller from that point allowing me on the podium with 3rd place.

If any of you are in the southeast area and looking for some good racing come out to one of our events at Road Atlanta, CMP or Barber Motorsports. For the past few years we have been working hard to grow Honda Challenge and all the hard work if finally paying off. If you are running HPDE or Time Trial and looking for the next level of adrenaline, Honda Challenge will not disappoint.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 AM

nice rob I might come out and run with you guys next year
Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 PM

Good job, Rob! You guys are really building the region. HC in the SE is definitely heating up.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice one Rob. I haven't done NASA in a few years. Sounds like you have really got the hang of that car and the tune is right on the motor. I will be at BMP in oct with tracks unlimited.

Emil
Old 08-24-2014, 03:27 AM

Good to hear from you Emil. I haven't seen Michael instructing in a while either. I thought you may have got out of it all together or moved from Atlanta but good to know you're still around.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC correctly HC rules are rather restrictive.

I need to do a little reading, but would a TTB/C prepped car translate well to HC?
Old 08-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by turbo8765

I need to do a little reading, but would a TTB/C prepped car translate well to HC?
Easily into TTB but most likely would need to add weight to make it in TTC. HC rules restrict any internal engine mods but really open to everything else.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquidsation
Originally Posted by turbo8765' timestamp='1408896724' post='23299630

Easily into TTB but most likely would need to add weight to make it in TTC. HC rules restrict any internal engine mods but really open to everything else.
I thought that HC1 S2000's were required to have stock intake, exhaust, and all emissions equipment as well as stock internal engine components? I'd love to hear how you have your car prepped, since I'm just going off of my initial reading of the rule book and I'm sure you know a lot more about the rules than I do. Any details you'd care to share would be great.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
I thought that HC1 S2000's were required to have stock intake, exhaust, and all emissions equipment as well as stock internal engine components? I'd love to hear how you have your car prepped, since I'm just going off of my initial reading of the rule book and I'm sure you know a lot more about the rules than I do. Any details you'd care to share would be great.

Taken from the 2014 rules (under Allowed Modifications - H1, H2, H4):

m) Any air intake system in front of the throttle body (including mass air sensor) may be used (stock throttle
body must be retained).
n) Carbureted vehicles may use an alternate carburetor of the same design and configuration (for example,
a single barrel can be replaced with an alternate single barrel, but not a dual barrel).
o) Any exhaust manifold and exhaust system may be used. All emission related devices may be removed
or disabled. Catalytic converters may be removed. NOTE: Some facilities have rules governing sound
limits. Vehicles must fall within these limits to be allowed to compete.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought those rules didn't apply to the S2000 as it's a "Restricted Preparation Vehicle" and was specifically not allowed the modifications in the section you quoted. I could be wrong. Honestly I hope I'm wrong.

9.2 H1 Restricted Preparation Vehicles Only

Vehicles are not permitted to follow section 8.1a-k Allowed Modifications (H1, H2, H4) except where stated otherwise.

• a) Engines must be completely OEM and conform to the exact specifications found in the factory servicemanual.
  • b) Restricted Preparation Vehicles may use any metal wheel (subject to 7.12(b)
  • c) S2000 and NSX are allowed any brake system as permitted in 9.3 with 50lbs weight penalty.
  • d) S2000, NSX, and TL are permitted the use of Remote Reservoir Shocks with a 25lbs weight penalty.

Note: any shock with an external reservoir is considered “remote”. If shocks with both high and lowspeed compression or high and low speed rebound adjustability are utilized, the weight penalty willincrease to 75lbs during competition.
  • e) S2000 may use any rear shock of same design as OEM (attached external canister) without weightpenalty. Note: Use of remote canister that is not attached to the main shock body will necessitate weightpenalty.
  • f) Restricted Preparation vehicles may use any engine management system
  • g) Acura TL is allowed any brake system as permitted in 9.3.

Quick Reply: NASA Southeast Region Honda Challenge 2014