S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Nasa tt5

Old 08-28-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Do you drive yours to the track? I thought Samed towed his.
I do tow the car. The car has full carpet, a/c, radio, cruise, etc but I am not comfortable driving it on the road with a full cage.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickdayracing
I do tow the car. The car has full carpet, a/c, radio, cruise, etc but I am not comfortable driving it on the road with a full cage.
Are others driving their TT5's to the track? If so, are they competitive? How do they handle tires, etc.? Do there cars remain reasonable street cars, as this is a step or two beyond HPDE?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:34 PM

Are others driving their TT5's to the track? If so, are they competitive? How do they handle tires, etc.? Do there cars remain reasonable street cars, as this is a step or two beyond HPDE?
Its a good mix between trailered and street driven car but most are just a few steps above HPDE and not caged. Some of the street driven guys have tire trailers. When I used to run in TTC I just drove my car to and from the track on RC1s and was competitive with those tires locally. I can't be competitive anymore on RC1s though.
The following users liked this post:
robrob (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's hard to take a competitive track car and drive it on the street. Look at it this way. A competitive track car wont be very good on the street and a good street car wont be very good on the track. You will realize that very soon if you start trying to be competitive and safe in a street car....I do love driving my car on the street to bed pads though lol
Old 08-29-2018, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't daily the car. When not racing, I only use it to go to the grocery store or gym. 5 mile drive max. Except maybe a cage or removing AC, I don't think there's anything in a TT5 build that I would dislike on the street.

@Sickdayracing - thanks for chiming in. I saw your build thread and subbed. It's a good representation of what I want to do with my car (though I may not go as extensive as you have).
Old 08-29-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stooga
I don't daily the car. When not racing, I only use it to go to the grocery store or gym. 5 mile drive max. Except maybe a cage or removing AC, I don't think there's anything in a TT5 build that I would dislike on the street.

@Sickdayracing - thanks for chiming in. I saw your build thread and subbed. It's a good representation of what I want to do with my car (though I may not go as extensive as you have).
Wouldn't your track only car be lower, with stiffer springs, and a louder exhaust than would be reasonable on the street? Wouldn't your street car need to meet emissions requirements and carry insurance that your track only car wouldn't have? Why would your track only car have a speedometer? Why would you street car have shift lights?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Wouldn't your track only car be lower, with stiffer springs, and a louder exhaust than would be reasonable on the street? Wouldn't your street car need to meet emissions requirements and carry insurance that your track only car wouldn't have? Why would your track only car have a speedometer? Why would you street car have shift lights?
Doesn't matter, because toy car. Not daily driven. Everything by CHOICE. Awesome to drive "racecar" on the street because you WANT to not because you HAVE to. Race/track car that you CAN drive on the streets. Enjoyable not to have a big ass truck and trailer. Nice to know that your track-toy CAN be driven on the street as opposed to an SFR that is 100% illegal. Emissions every other year. Even in California, the Nazi-king of emissions standards, a TT5 prepped vehicle is easy to return to emissions legal status and swap back. Honey badger don't give a ****.

FYI, back in the day, Le Mans cars used to be driven to the event. The Porsche 935s of the 70's that dominated Le Mans were street legal and driven to Le Mans. Granted race prep back then differed from race prep today, and street legal back then also differed from street legal today, but with your ancient back ground you should already know all of this.
The following users liked this post:
Afterfire (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Doesn't matter, because toy car. Not daily driven. Everything by CHOICE. Awesome to drive "racecar" on the street because you WANT to not because you HAVE to. Race/track car that you CAN drive on the streets. Enjoyable not to have a big ass truck and trailer. Nice to know that your track-toy CAN be driven on the street as opposed to an SFR that is 100% illegal. Emissions every other year. Even in California, the Nazi-king of emissions standards, a TT5 prepped vehicle is easy to return to emissions legal status and swap back. Honey badger don't give a ****.

FYI, back in the day, Le Mans cars used to be driven to the event. The Porsche 935s of the 70's that dominated Le Mans were street legal and driven to Le Mans. Granted race prep back then differed from race prep today, and street legal back then also differed from street legal today, but with your ancient back ground you should already know all of this.
its kind of nice to have a way to get your crashed or broken car home with that big ass truck. It’s also nice to have rain tires, a cooler, air compressor......already brought home a car 5-6 times that had to be pushed onto the trailer.

i wouldn’t reference “the good old days”. They did what they had to at the time. They also use to wear equestrian helmets and wouldn’t use seat belts deciding they rather be thrown from the car than burn up in the fire.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:13 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@DavidNJ - I'm already committed to driving to and from the track in the S2000, so this discussion is focused around whether the S2000 is competitive in TT5. I live in a high rise apartment building and I have to pay for each parking spot. I'd rather have 1 family vehicle (Q5) and 1 track/street-fun vehicle (S2k). Your suggestion would mean paying for parking on 1) family/tow vehicle, 2) trailer (if it would even fit in a parking spot), 3) dedicated track car, 4) fun street car.

My S2000 is already STR prepped for autocross, so it's lower, stiffer, and louder than what you may consider reasonable, but I love it on the street (for short distances). The only big differences in terms of performance between my car and a competitive TT5 car are Hoosiers, BBK, and a wing. @Bullwings said it well - I get to drive a race car on the streets! If that bothered me at all, I'd just drive the Q5, but I don't.

So, can we please stay on topic about TT5 competitiveness and not go off on a tangent about SRF or Spec Miata?
Old 08-30-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by stooga
@DavidNJ - I'm already committed to driving to and from the track in the S2000, so this discussion is focused around whether the S2000 is competitive in TT5. I live in a high rise apartment building and I have to pay for each parking spot. I'd rather have 1 family vehicle (Q5) and 1 track/street-fun vehicle (S2k). Your suggestion would mean paying for parking on 1) family/tow vehicle, 2) trailer (if it would even fit in a parking spot), 3) dedicated track car, 4) fun street car.

My S2000 is already STR prepped for autocross, so it's lower, stiffer, and louder than what you may consider reasonable, but I love it on the street (for short distances). The only big differences in terms of performance between my car and a competitive TT5 car are Hoosiers, BBK, and a wing. @Bullwings said it well - I get to drive a race car on the streets! If that bothered me at all, I'd just drive the Q5, but I don't.

So, can we please stay on topic about TT5 competitiveness and not go off on a tangent about SRF or Spec Miata?
Back to the topic, yes the S2000 is extremely competitive even with a .7 or .8 A-arm modifier. You you are correct in your estimation that you STR car is only tires and a wing away. The BBK is not needed and I only run it to help component life but it is a .2 hit. Factor in the safety equipment if you don't have it already, this can cost you easily $2k+.

Quick Reply: Nasa tt5