S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

NASA vs SCCA

Old 01-02-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondakid1
Thank you. After all the feedback I'm looking more and more at rules and locations. I hope I do get to meet a lot more s2000 drivers at the track including yourself.
NASA Mid South will be running events at Memphis and Barber Motorsports Park this year. I would advise you to look into that. I run primarily with the NASA NOLA region, and if you want to see how a NASA weekend goes you are free to come hang out with me January 27-28 in New Orleans. I will also most likely be at the NASA Mid South Memphis event in February. I tracked my turbo S2000 in NASA's TT3 class for the past two seasons. As mentioned this would be the best class for you to run in with a detune. The class is currently filled primarily with M3s from E36 to E92, Corvettes, and Evos. I will be running an Evo this season in TT3/TT4 and selling my S2000.

I don't know how competitive you want to be, and it sounds like it is way way way too early to be recommending what you need to go fast, but you will want to be on a square 245 or a 275 Hoosier on a wheel that won't bump you up a tire width size later this season to really compete in NASA TT3 or TT2. I will also mention that the 2nd best option after NASA is GRIDLIFE. They have a similar HPDE program and offer time attack classing that is a little easier to understand. The closest events they will run to you will be Mid Ohio and Road Atlanta.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondakid1
I sincerely appreciate everything you said. I know there are steps that I will have take to get to where I want to be so no offense taken at all. I guess I should have stated that competitive time attack is my ultimate goal.

I plan to start going to open track days to learn my car more and to push myself as well. I've talked to an instructor who is willing to help me along the way also. Honestly I'm more interested in the personal growth and thrill of being on the track.

This is exactly why I made the post I did, to get this kind of feedback. Again thank you.
I would recommend utilizing the NASA or GRIDLIFE HPDE program and getting help from as many different instructors as possible. Having only one instructor can be an issue especially if the way he teaches is not the way you learn. I am assuming you already know but the only two tracks in Alabama are Barber Motorsports Park which is a big pro level course and Lil Tally or Talladega Grand Prix Raceway (TGPR) which is a much smaller primarily motorcycle track that you may find some cheap open track days at. I would also advise you to be prepared to make the journey to try different tracks. Keep your car a street car till you need to make it a trailered track car.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
NASA Mid South will be running events at Memphis and Barber Motorsports Park this year. I would advise you to look into that. I run primarily with the NASA NOLA region, and if you want to see how a NASA weekend goes you are free to come hang out with me January 27-28 in New Orleans. I will also most likely be at the NASA Mid South Memphis event in February. I tracked my turbo S2000 in NASA's TT3 class for the past two seasons. As mentioned this would be the best class for you to run in with a detune. The class is currently filled primarily with M3s from E36 to E92, Corvettes, and Evos. I will be running an Evo this season in TT3/TT4 and selling my S2000.

I don't know how competitive you want to be, and it sounds like it is way way way too early to be recommending what you need to go fast, but you will want to be on a square 245 or a 275 Hoosier on a wheel that won't bump you up a tire width size later this season to really compete in NASA TT3 or TT2. I will also mention that the 2nd best option after NASA is GRIDLIFE. They have a similar HPDE program and offer time attack classing that is a little easier to understand. The closest events they will run to you will be Mid Ohio and Road Atlanta.
I have a set of 18x10 te37 sagas on the way that I planned on running a 285 on. And I've considered GRIDLIFE also, so that's perfect since I have a friend that competes.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
I would recommend utilizing the NASA or GRIDLIFE HPDE program and getting help from as many different instructors as possible. Having only one instructor can be an issue especially if the way he teaches is not the way you learn. I am assuming you already know but the only two tracks in Alabama are Barber Motorsports Park which is a big pro level course and Lil Tally or Talladega Grand Prix Raceway (TGPR) which is a much smaller primarily motorcycle track that you may find some cheap open track days at. I would also advise you to be prepared to make the journey to try different tracks. Keep your car a street car till you need to make it a trailered track car.
Very useful information on the instructors so thanks. And I figured I would probably hit Barber, Road Atlanta, Nola and Memphis so hopefully it works out