S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

New Tire Time!!

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You're right..they are point modifier. I remembered incorrectly. I just knew I couldn't run them in TT4 lol

Last edited by f20kills; 07-13-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
This is the route I am going. After the "kick in the nuts" when I pulled off my race pads, I am going to need to squeeze my pennies the best way possible
Mr Goetz; we have found that most of the new compound 200TW tires are giving significantly less wear than their previous generation. We used to be able to run a whole weekend (2 separate 8 hour races) on a single set of the original Rivals. We corded a set of the 1.5's after a single 8 hour race at Mid O. RE71's are roughly the same or less durable. Rivals are a bit less responsive on turn in, but grease up less over time.

For us, the Star Spec has been left behind a bit, though we still keep it on hand as our rain tire. You DO NOT want to be on any Rival in the rain.

The NT01 is a darn good tire for old tech, however it's ultimate grip level is probably slightly less than the new Rival or the RE71. What NT01's are good at, is tolerance for heat on the track. They are just more predictable. Better turn in than Rivals, less likely to overheat/grease up than RE71.

Now, at the last couple endurance races, we see more and more teams on RS4. They seem to wear much better than Rival or RE71, at the sacrifice of a little bit of ultimate grip. This is the tire we are going to be using. So I guess what I'm saying is, unless you want to trade off durability for the last bit of ultimate grip, I think you are making a good decision with RS4
Old 07-13-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
Mr Goetz; we have found that most of the new compound 200TW tires are giving significantly less wear than their previous generation. We used to be able to run a whole weekend (2 separate 8 hour races) on a single set of the original Rivals. We corded a set of the 1.5's after a single 8 hour race at Mid O. RE71's are roughly the same or less durable. Rivals are a bit less responsive on turn in, but grease up less over time.

For us, the Star Spec has been left behind a bit, though we still keep it on hand as our rain tire. You DO NOT want to be on any Rival in the rain.

The NT01 is a darn good tire for old tech, however it's ultimate grip level is probably slightly less than the new Rival or the RE71. What NT01's are good at, is tolerance for heat on the track. They are just more predictable. Better turn in than Rivals, less likely to overheat/grease up than RE71.

Now, at the last couple endurance races, we see more and more teams on RS4. They seem to wear much better than Rival or RE71, at the sacrifice of a little bit of ultimate grip. This is the tire we are going to be using. So I guess what I'm saying is, unless you want to trade off durability for the last bit of ultimate grip, I think you are making a good decision with RS4
Thanks for the reassurance Rick! I am set on the RS4s
Old 07-13-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a set of RS4s sitting/waiting for my other wheels to be finished. Haven't seen a lot of feedback on the RS4's, this thread has somewhat reassured my purchase. Look forward to testing them out in comparison to the last set of RS3s i had. Keep us updated Brent!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta

I agree with this. The NT01 are still fine for track use and hold up better to heat. However, they do not heat up quickly. This is something that many autocrossers look for.

The RS4 wears MUCH better than the re71r or rival s/s1.5. It's not as fast, but that's to be expected. Some autocrossers are saying the SUR4G is better than the RS4 though. Crisper turn in, and more grip.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by THMotorsports

Some autocrossers are saying the SUR4G is better than the RS4 though. Crisper turn in, and more grip.

Hmm, that is interesting they are about the same price, I wonder if they last as long.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Ok, I am going to toss a curveball. I can get the SUR4s on closeout for a lot cheaper than the RS4s. Does anyone have any experience with the SUR4s and can provide an opinion? From my research I am reading they are as good or better than RS3s, if that is the case it may be a good option.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I've done 4 trackdays on mine, I like them for the price.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo
I've done 4 trackdays on mine, I like them for the price.
Any comparison to the RS3? The common complaint seems to be that they feel numb. Some even say it is the same compound.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

With all the choices, sometimes it makes sense to let the price do the talking. That's how I ended up with my rivals 1.0 which were never too popular, but the worked well for me. A forgiving tire that offered consistency over use. If I had a complaint it would be sharper handling at lower slip angles, they seem a bit better for a heavy handed driver. Now I am looking for more grip without loosing consistency so either a better EHP tire or a streetable r-comp.

Between the rs4 and Nexen, and a modest price difference I would go with the rs4. Your experience with rs3s would be enough to sell me. However, I am still pretty sold on nt01 for what I am looking for. Check out that thread I linked earlier if you have not already.

good luck either way.

Quick Reply: New Tire Time!!