S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ohlins DFV Review

Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MADANT15
The car went into a wall buttonwillow after hitting a patch of oil laid down by GTR, so they will be off the car and for sale soon.
Nooooooo! Very sorry to hear that.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Looking forward to the next time I'm on the BW CW#13 track. I wish they had tracks like this in AZ.

S2000CR at CW#13 (Fun Ride)
Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pm me if your going to sell depending in the condition
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, I know you are a fan of the KWV3's, but you seem more than a bit pessimistic regarding the Ohlins DFV's. I'm trying myself to decide on which suspension to purchase and am having a tough time deciding between KWV3 or Clubsports, custom-valved non-adjustable Bilsteins from Guy Ankeny, Ohlins DFV, or AST 4150's. FWIW, I'm looking to run spring rates between 500-700#. The car will be both an SCCA STR autocross car and NASA TTC time trial car, as well as being mildly daily driven. Is there a reason you know of that I should cross off the Ohlins DFV from my list of choices? I'm a little worried about rear compression travel and the "combo" single adjustment. Will this type of adjusting be an advantage, or a disadvantage when running 100 lb higher spring rates than the damper was optimized for?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tcjensen, Guy has a very good reputation for autocross set-up. I don’t have firsthand knowledge, but if I was doing an STR build and did not have shocks, that’s who I would go with. Having adjustable shocks can be very nice and that is what I would get from Guy if they are in your price range. Of course the down side to adjustable shocks is you can really mess up the handling, and they take some time to learn how to adjust them, but in the long run it’s nice to know how to adjust shocks.

I would just have Guy do the whole package, shocks, recommended spring rates, sway bars, and alignment specs.

I was thinking about doing this for next year, and Guy is the person I was going to go to, but I am going to try a C5Z06, in street (stock) class.

I also think you really can't go wrong with the AST's or Ohlins all of them are good options.

Robert Jones
Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 PM

Thx Robert. The Guy option would be non-adjustable and would require me finding a cheap set of Bilstein PSS (which is harder than you might imagine! lol). The good news is they'd be custom valved to exactly match my chosen spring rates & I could just focus on driving instead of adjusting

The Ohlins worries me a little bit because I want higher spring rates, and I'm afraid I'd mess up their delicate valving balance with their "single dual" adjustments.

The Clubsports add more than I need to take for NASA TTC class. I don't think I'll get 6 extra points worth of performance out of them vs the AST or Bilstein option. (unless it's raining or something on a given track day )

So I guess I'm down to custom-valved non-adjustable monotube Bilstein's vs. OTS rebound-adjustable AST's.

What's up with all the DFW s2k drivers moving to C5Z06's. You will be #3, lol
Old 11-13-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for Ankeny! This man knows shocks, is a grassroots competitor like most of us and has extensive experience with building championship winning setups. My bilsteins he setup were excellent, rode smooth and didn't require the annual rebuilds of the more delicate bling shocks. This year I sold the bilsteins and stepped up to his 8300 penske setup. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ebdavis
Another vote for Ankeny! This man knows shocks, is a grassroots competitor like most of us and has extensive experience with building championship winning setups. My bilsteins he setup were excellent, rode smooth and didn't require the annual rebuilds of the more delicate bling shocks. This year I sold the bilsteins and stepped up to his 8300 penske setup. Couldn't be happier with the purchase.
I think I remember seeing your setup, built on the PSS9 platform I believe. Guy was telling me if I gave him the 9's, he would just convert them to non-adjustable anyway, so it's kind of a waste. I mentioned the street/race on/off switch-style adjustment option to him, and he even wrote that off, lol. It's good to know he can use 9's if I find those first though. The regular PSS are pretty rare to find used. Most people just bought the PSS9's. But maybe I should consider his Penske setup from the beginning. Nothing but money, right? lol. Would you say the Penske's would go longer between rebuilds thatn AST's ? Nevermind, they are $3200 before even springs and top hats, and look to have NASA points-gathering remote reservoirs. (didn't mean to thread-jack here ... the Ohlins are performing quite well in their OTS configuration here in the Dallas area. Can't knock them at all.)
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcjensen
What's up with all the DFW s2k drivers moving to C5Z06's. You will be #3, lol
With the CR getting put into the same Street class as the C5Z06, I just don’t see it begin able to keep up on most courses. So it was either go STR, or get a different car. I couldn’t bring myself to roll the fenders and lower the CR where it would be scraping all the time. The road to my house has a high center ridge. Also I have been driving an S2000 for a long time, so it will be nice to try something different with toque. I am keeping the CR I still really like it.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tcjensen
Rob, I know you are a fan of the KWV3's, but you seem more than a bit pessimistic regarding the Ohlins DFV's. I'm trying myself to decide on which suspension to purchase and am having a tough time deciding between KWV3 or Clubsports, custom-valved non-adjustable Bilsteins from Guy Ankeny, Ohlins DFV, or AST 4150's. FWIW, I'm looking to run spring rates between 500-700#. The car will be both an SCCA STR autocross car and NASA TTC time trial car, as well as being mildly daily driven. Is there a reason you know of that I should cross off the Ohlins DFV from my list of choices? I'm a little worried about rear compression travel and the "combo" single adjustment. Will this type of adjusting be an advantage, or a disadvantage when running 100 lb higher spring rates than the damper was optimized for?
I'm not pessimistic regarding the DFV's as I have no experience with them. My above comment was regarding "seat of the pants" reviews of expensive parts. Most people will feel an improvement after adding an expensive mod but lap times are what separate the wheat from the chaff.

If I was starting over I probably wouldn't go with KW V3's or ClubSports due to KW's no revalve policy. Any Ohlins product should be considered but personally I want to be able to adjust compression and rebound independently. I can't make any specific recommendations because I've only run the stock, PSS9 and KW V3 shocks. Two of the fastest S2000s in my area run custom valved non-adjustable yellow Bilsteins so I'd recommend taking a close look at that option.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV Review