S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Open car trailers - how long of a beavertail do I need?

Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Open car trailers - how long of a beavertail do I need?

Now that I'm tracking regularly, I'd like to start trailering my car. I'm looking at open trailers. Not too concerned with steel deck vs wood deck, except it seems that all the steel deck trailers come with 4' beavertails and the wood decks come with 2' beavertails. And of course the steel ones are more expensive.

My car is lowered (like 13" H to F at the moment). I realize deck heights will vary among manufacturers, but has anyone had issues getting on a trailer with a 2' beavertail? What length ramps did you have? Most of the trailers I've seen come with 5' ramps. Just want to make sure I don't buy a trailer and can't get my car on it.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holeshot121
Now that I'm tracking regularly, I'd like to start trailering my car. I'm looking at open trailers. Not too concerned with steel deck vs wood deck, except it seems that all the steel deck trailers come with 4' beavertails and the wood decks come with 2' beavertails. And of course the steel ones are more expensive.

My car is lowered (like 13" H to F at the moment). I realize deck heights will vary among manufacturers, but has anyone had issues getting on a trailer with a 2' beavertail? What length ramps did you have? Most of the trailers I've seen come with 5' ramps. Just want to make sure I don't buy a trailer and can't get my car on it.
I had a 16’ open trailer for a year before I sold it and went with an enclosed trailer ( I don’t have side windows in my car as it is a dedicated track car ). It had 2ft beaver tail and was the perfect trailer as I could tow it with my suv at the time. It had 5ft Ramps, which worked, but would just barely touch the front bumper at times depending on where it was unloaded.

A couple things I would keep in mind. If you have the budget, look for removable fenders as it is a giant pain to get in/out. If it comes with the standard 5’ ramps, I would suggest looking to get longer ones. I looked into it and you can get 8ft aluminum ramps for around $250-300 I believe (plus half the weight).

I bought a brand new open car 16ft hauler in 2017 for 1800. I sold it a year later for $1750. Don’t over spend on a used trailer, you can find them pretty cheap brand new and upgrade. I looked for 4 months before I found most used were overpriced and decided to go new. Only regret is I wished mine had removable/flip down fenders, but a standard 16’ car with 2ft beaver trailer works perfect for our cars.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Icer350

I had a 16’ open trailer for a year before I sold it and went with an enclosed trailer ( I don’t have side windows in my car as it is a dedicated track car ). It had 2ft beaver tail and was the perfect trailer as I could tow it with my suv at the time. It had 5ft Ramps, which worked, but would just barely touch the front bumper at times depending on where it was unloaded.

A couple things I would keep in mind. If you have the budget, look for removable fenders as it is a giant pain to get in/out. If it comes with the standard 5’ ramps, I would suggest looking to get longer ones. I looked into it and you can get 8ft aluminum ramps for around $250-300 I believe (plus half the weight).

I bought a brand new open car 16ft hauler in 2017 for 1800. I sold it a year later for $1750. Don’t over spend on a used trailer, you can find them pretty cheap brand new and upgrade. I looked for 4 months before I found most used were overpriced and decided to go new. Only regret is I wished mine had removable/flip down fenders, but a standard 16’ car with 2ft beaver trailer works perfect for our cars.
Thanks! The one I've looked at so far have all had removable driver side fenders. Where the hell can you get a brand new trailer for $1800?!? The cheapest one I saw was like $2800 with no spare tire. Not finding much on the used market in my area right now except for a 20' steel deck for $3k. The new steel deck trailers around here are pushing $4k after tax and tags. I'm pretty sure I could buy an enclosed one for only a little more.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Look at RaceRamps for lightweight ramp extensions.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

THe single biggest factor will be splitter. Ride height matters less. That being said you will likely need some wood and customize your own approach ramps. It also matters if you raise the rear of the tow vehicle. I use to back my truck rears onto wood blocks when I had a really low civic with splitter. Pay attention to how the ramps meet the trailer. Many rest onto the surface of the trailer (ideal). I had a steel big Tex that the ramps pulled out. They were 1.5 inches down from surface of trailer. Doesn’t sound bad for tires but it creates havoc with the splitter
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by miamirice
THe single biggest factor will be splitter. Ride height matters less. That being said you will likely need some wood and customize your own approach ramps. It also matters if you raise the rear of the tow vehicle. I use to back my truck rears onto wood blocks when I had a really low civic with splitter. Pay attention to how the ramps meet the trailer. Many rest onto the surface of the trailer (ideal). I had a steel big Tex that the ramps pulled out. They were 1.5 inches down from surface of trailer. Doesn’t sound bad for tires but it creates havoc with the splitter
Thanks for the insight. Splitter isn't a problem yet, as I don't have any aero. I will keep that in mind for the future though. I did see a guy back his truck on ramps and thought that was pretty clever. I always have home made ramps with me for the car, so I could use them for the truck also.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

An enclosed trailer offers workspace along with just a place to haul the car (and tires). Nice place for a workbench, tools, etc. Heck, you can sleep in it if necessary.

-- Chuck
Old 10-03-2018, 04:07 AM

Quick update: found a used trailer for a good price and picked it up. 2015 Sure-Trac 18' wood deck with 2 foot beavertail. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the fender isn't removeable. If it becomes too much of a hassle, I think I can mod the fender to be removable. I saved like $1400 over the price of a new one, so I'm happy with it. Now I just need a toolbox and a spare tire.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:23 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Holeshot121
Quick update: found a used trailer for a good price and picked it up. 2015 Sure-Trac 18' wood deck with 2 foot beavertail. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the fender isn't removeable. If it becomes too much of a hassle, I think I can mod the fender to be removable. I saved like $1400 over the price of a new one, so I'm happy with it. Now I just need a toolbox and a spare tire.

Thanks for all the help!
Good buy.
I screwed down a extra 2x12 on my wood deck, aligned under the left wheels of the car, to make the door clear the fender.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 1,188 Likes on 922 Posts

The trailer I have been using this years is a co-workers aluminum car trailer. No beavertail, 6' ramps and it loads with no extra ramps, boards, etc. My car is in STR form to give you an idea, so lowered roughly an inch. This setup works great.

I previously rented an aluminum car trailer that had a tilt bed and 4' ramp. It sucked ... I still had to use boards and crap to load without dragging the front bumper. The current trailer I have used is MUCH better.

In either case, without removable fenders there would be zero chance of loading and rolling the windows up unless I placed boards to park the car on so it was taller.. No way I can reach the ignition switch otherwise (trust me, I tried when I forgot and put the fender back on the trailer before rolling the other window up on the car).

Quick Reply: Open car trailers - how long of a beavertail do I need?