S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Opinions Wanted! New S2K Track Driver.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Wanted! New S2K Track Driver.

Hey guys,

So I'm brand new to the forum and have been plotting and planning an S2000 Track/Light street use vehicle for this upcoming 2017 season. My idea was to list what my modifications I plan on doing immediately, my intentions for the vehicles use, and get some experienced opinions on the whole idea.

First off my current experience goes as followed: I currently run and mostly stock NA 97' Miata with the following modifications. (205 wide Direzza Z2's, Hard-dog Roll bar, Hawk HP+ pads, Stainless lines, Added M- edition Torsen Diff, Drop in filter, Advance timing, and as much neg camber as possible front (seriously like -.6...). In total I've got 7 track days under my belt under NASA NE and there HPDE program increasing to solo driver HPDE3. I know if I get any higher in HPDE I will just be in the way of people in fast cars that actually know how to drive. My thought is I could progress with the setup I have and eventually buy a dedicated NA Spec Miata to run the car in a sanctioning body or abandon the Miata phase as fun as its been and pursue and more dedicated TT car to get my feet wet. But I'm under pressure with friends already running TT in NASA. The S2000 comes to mind for the soul reason my fathers getting rid of his stock AP1 00', and its an great platform to jump to from the miata (4 cly, FR, drivers car). So here is my plan.

First off I want to begin my planning with a purpose. Initially start by becoming acclimated to the car but have a goal to participate in NASA's TTD class by the end of the year. I would like to eventually make the jump to TTC/TT5 however I would like to keep it light $$ to start. My though is lower class = less mods = less cost. All that being said here is my first round of mods before the car would see a second of track time, assuming all is perfect on the vehicle.
  • Roll Bar- (Required for NASA) either the Hard Dog or Rock Star garage. Something that has a bulkhead replacement for stock restraints but also that can be setup for safety upgrades in the future.
  • Wheel/Tire- So I currently have the stock staggered setup on the car however I did come into 4 RPF1's 17x9+45 for dirt cheap. My idea is to keep the tires at 225/45/R17 for the soul reason I'm planning on running TTD eventually. I really wanted an opinion on this one cause it would be a light stretch 225 wide on a 9 in wheel. I'd rather take a slightly narrower tire to run the almighty RE71-R's. I wanted to run RC1's but what if it rains.....
  • Brakes- I'm hoping to run a Hawk contingency when running in TTD plus I've heard good things about DTC-60 pads in front but Its kinda up in the air for rear DTC-30? May invest in a Bias Valve and tune it in and Stainless lines. For rotors I may just run cheap blank rotors and interchange them when heat cracks occur. (Unless some can convince me otherwise)
  • Track Alignment- I figured I'd start with the following: Front toe 0, Front camber -1.5deg, Rear toe lightly neg, and Rear camber -1.5 to -2.0. Start with this then use a tire pyromoter to get a better idea on camber.
  • Fluids- Have yet to do research oil viscosity. Any rec's?
  • Reliability- Seems like people recommended monitoring oil/water temps before jumping all over coolers. I think I will do the same. (Plus i'm Northeast = Lower temps), Next I'd like to weld the front upper control arms to prevent failures, Valve adjustment w/ Titanium valve spring retainers, and Robinette's oil banjo bolt mod.
I honestly figure the above basic mods to cost somewhere around 3k+

After I have these thing sorted out I wanted to jump right to Coilovers and safety modifications. Probably the Ohlins DFV's re-valved or KW3's, more track oriented alignment, Racetech RT1000 seat and a proven harness setup.

Again all said and done I'm just curious on what other S2000 track drivers think about my plan and have the opportunity to introduce myself. All criticism is welcome. Thanks again for your time!!!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum and going with an S2000 will put a huge smile on your face!!

I think you are on the right track for sure.
Rollbar is a great investment (I run a RockStar Garage)
Brakes (pads / lines / fluids) are a must in my opinion - safety first!
- Pads - I run Hawk DT60 fronts and Hawk HP+ on the rear and am very happy with this set up
Tires - I run RPF1 in 17x9 with a square set up 255/40/17 RE71R and couldn't be happier with this set up
Reliability - Obviously get the little things done that you need to get done to make sure you can last at the track
Drive It!!!!!!! get used to it start modding from there
Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Filosi13b
Hey guys,

So I'm brand new to the forum and have been plotting and planning an S2000 Track/Light street use vehicle for this upcoming 2017 season. My idea was to list what my modifications I plan on doing immediately, my intentions for the vehicles use, and get some experienced opinions on the whole idea.

First off my current experience goes as followed: I currently run and mostly stock NA 97' Miata with the following modifications. (205 wide Direzza Z2's, Hard-dog Roll bar, Hawk HP+ pads, Stainless lines, Added M- edition Torsen Diff, Drop in filter, Advance timing, and as much neg camber as possible front (seriously like -.6...). In total I've got 7 track days under my belt under NASA NE and there HPDE program increasing to solo driver HPDE3. I know if I get any higher in HPDE I will just be in the way of people in fast cars that actually know how to drive. My thought is I could progress with the setup I have and eventually buy a dedicated NA Spec Miata to run the car in a sanctioning body or abandon the Miata phase as fun as its been and pursue and more dedicated TT car to get my feet wet. But I'm under pressure with friends already running TT in NASA. The S2000 comes to mind for the soul reason my fathers getting rid of his stock AP1 00', and its an great platform to jump to from the miata (4 cly, FR, drivers car). So here is my plan.

First off I want to begin my planning with a purpose. Initially start by becoming acclimated to the car but have a goal to participate in NASA's TTD class by the end of the year. I would like to eventually make the jump to TTC/TT5 however I would like to keep it light $$ to start. My though is lower class = less mods = less cost. All that being said here is my first round of mods before the car would see a second of track time, assuming all is perfect on the vehicle.
  • Roll Bar- (Required for NASA) either the Hard Dog or Rock Star garage. Something that has a bulkhead replacement for stock restraints but also that can be setup for safety upgrades in the future.
  • Wheel/Tire- So I currently have the stock staggered setup on the car however I did come into 4 RPF1's 17x9+45 for dirt cheap. My idea is to keep the tires at 225/45/R17 for the soul reason I'm planning on running TTD eventually. I really wanted an opinion on this one cause it would be a light stretch 225 wide on a 9 in wheel. I'd rather take a slightly narrower tire to run the almighty RE71-R's. I wanted to run RC1's but what if it rains.....
  • Brakes- I'm hoping to run a Hawk contingency when running in TTD plus I've heard good things about DTC-60 pads in front but Its kinda up in the air for rear DTC-30? May invest in a Bias Valve and tune it in and Stainless lines. For rotors I may just run cheap blank rotors and interchange them when heat cracks occur. (Unless some can convince me otherwise)
  • Track Alignment- I figured I'd start with the following: Front toe 0, Front camber -1.5deg, Rear toe lightly neg, and Rear camber -1.5 to -2.0. Start with this then use a tire pyromoter to get a better idea on camber.
  • Fluids- Have yet to do research oil viscosity. Any rec's?
  • Reliability- Seems like people recommended monitoring oil/water temps before jumping all over coolers. I think I will do the same. (Plus i'm Northeast = Lower temps), Next I'd like to weld the front upper control arms to prevent failures, Valve adjustment w/ Titanium valve spring retainers, and Robinette's oil banjo bolt mod.
I honestly figure the above basic mods to cost somewhere around 3k+

After I have these thing sorted out I wanted to jump right to Coilovers and safety modifications. Probably the Ohlins DFV's re-valved or KW3's, more track oriented alignment, Racetech RT1000 seat and a proven harness setup.

Again all said and done I'm just curious on what other S2000 track drivers think about my plan and have the opportunity to introduce myself. All criticism is welcome. Thanks again for your time!!!
Roll bar is not required for NASA on an S2000. I don't think you can run 225 Hoosiers on a TTD S2000, so I would probably stick with the Maxxis RC1 which quite a few TTD cars run on and utilize their very generous contingency. I would run the 225 on a 9 inch. I would run more like -3 front and -2.5 rear camber toe is good. 10w30 in the engine and most seem to like the 75w140 in the diff for a more track oriented S2000. Honestly let your Dad just sell the AP1 and buy yourself a DBW 2006+ AP2 and run it in TTC this year and TT5 next year would be my advice.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Roll bar is not required for NASA on an S2000. I don't think you can run 225 Hoosiers on a TTD S2000, so I would probably stick with the Maxxis RC1 which quite a few TTD cars run on and utilize their very generous contingency. I would run the 225 on a 9 inch. I would run more like -3 front and -2.5 rear camber toe is good. 10w30 in the engine and most seem to like the 75w140 in the diff for a more track oriented S2000. Honestly let your Dad just sell the AP1 and buy yourself a DBW 2006+ AP2 and run it in TTC this year and TT5 next year would be my advice.
Thanks for the advice Tut! I must have got my info mixed up with the all my previous miata info on the roll bar. Can you obtain that much camber out of stock adjustments without adjustable ball joints? Also I have researched late year AP2's however I'd be getting the AP1 for peanuts so budget wise its still in the running for me.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I run the DTC-60 paired with the HT-10 in the rear and it seems to work quite well with front and rear ducting.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
He can run Hoosiers in TTD. but it would need to be a 215 or smaller. that would be +3 on TTD** with 2 points left over for either stiffer springs or a big front bar.

Personally i wouldnt do shit with TTD/C being combined into 5 and no rules set makes it hard to know what will be and what wont be allowed.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by slowd16
He can run Hoosiers in TTD. but it would need to be a 215 or smaller. that would be +3 on TTD** with 2 points left over for either stiffer springs or a big front bar.

Personally i wouldnt do shit with TTD/C being combined into 5 and no rules set makes it hard to know what will be and what wont be allowed.
I eventually want to run Hoosiers R7's but I still want to feel the car out on a very light R-comp/200 tread wear tire. Plus I figured if I do my starting mods and then coilovers/corner balance setup then when TT5 rolls around it will be much like TT4 and be based on avg power to weight and have a good base to start with.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I eventually want to run Hoosiers R7's but I still want to feel the car out on a very light R-comp/200 tread wear tire. Plus I figured if I do my starting mods and then coilovers/corner balance setup then when TT5 rolls around it will be much like TT4 and be based on avg power to weight and have a good base to start with.
As long as greg doesnt **** the S2K which hes flat out said hes planning on adding a mod factor to cars in 5 and the S2K will be probably bummed to 4 because of it.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by slowd16
As long as greg doesnt **** the S2K which hes flat out said hes planning on adding a mod factor to cars in 5 and the S2K will be probably bummed to 4 because of it.
I know i'm newer to the whole HPDE/TT world but that's kinda BS. If there adding mod factor to anything in should be the E36/E46 M3's.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts

If there adding mod factor to anything in should be the E36/E46 M3's.
The winning formula seems to be swap S54 into e36. Since it's dbw, easily detune HP to desired level (250 hp? no prob) while retaining super fat and broad tq curve.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted! New S2K Track Driver.