S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Powdercoating track wheels

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew about that for magnesium wheels (motorcycle industry), but not aluminum. I'm surprised that 300 degrees F has such a large effect.

I guess you could extend this warning to any modifications that required welding--did you heat treat or shot peen post weld?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Aug 21 2009, 09:27 AM
All I'm seeing is a lot of assumptions and no evidence to back up these assumptions.

By the same token, it does NOT mean it isn't okay to powdercoat them.
There have been several plausible reasons given for why powder coating wheels is a bad idea. You also haven't provided any data that contradicts those reasons, and frankly I don't think anyone who can't hold their own in the thread f20kills linked to is qualified to comment.

Note that even the materials engineers on that thread didn't reach consensus. That being the case, I think it's reasonable to say that powder coating wheels may compromise their integrity. Whether you think that gamble is worth it for parts which are subjected to immense loads, frequent impacts, and whose failure will often result in an instant and catastrophic loss of control is a personal choice. Unfortunately, that personal choice could also affect whoever's driving near you if / when one of your wheels fails. That being the case, I think your attitude's pretty cavalier.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Aug 21 2009, 11:52 AM
Note that even the materials engineers on that thread didn't reach consensus. That being the case, I think it's reasonable to say that powder coating wheels may compromise their integrity. Whether you think that gamble is worth it for parts which are subjected to immense loads, frequent impacts, and whose failure will often result in an instant and catastrophic loss of control is a personal choice. Unfortunately, that personal choice could also affect whoever's driving near you if / when one of your wheels fails. That being the case, I think your attitude's pretty cavalier.
I agree that it may compromise their integrity.

You may feel that my attitude is cavalier, but keep that in mind the next time you make a poor decision on the track, because that is more like to effect any drivers near you then some powder coated wheels.

Just think of all of the powder coated wheels out there, and compare that to how few documented cases of failures.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think spoke pattern may have a lot to do with it as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Aug 21 2009, 12:17 PM
I think spoke pattern may have a lot to do with it as well.
But the question is, which is more likely to exhibit a problem?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 AM

yea, leaning towards not powdercoating them, just to be safe.

lsd motorsports in cali said they have some black rpf1's in 17x9.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why risk something like this on the track though?
While I think my rims are still good, there just not good enough for me to risk on the track.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 PM

A local autocrosser and friend of mine had a set of wheels that looked very much like that shortly after powder coating.

Turns out it was just the finish that cracked, and the wheels were fine.

Could be the case here too.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM

...and the plot thickens...
Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM

There was an article in the May '09 issue of 'Sports Car' magazine called 'The Deal with Wheels' that addressed this briefly:

[B][I]'Should you have the need to refinish your wheels, all the experts we spoke to reccommend painting them. "The heating process involved with powder coating can affect the heat treatment of the wheel". "When BBS produces a wheel with a powder-coated finish, that process has been engineered into the design of that wheel, once it leaves the factory it should not be powder coated." '

Quick Reply: Powdercoating track wheels