S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Preparation for first track day

Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Preparation for first track day

Hey guys,

Couple specific questions in preparing for my upcoming (and first) track event on December 22nd @ Buttonwillow.

I bought a set of AP1 wheels (for cheap), hoping to use them as track wheels because 1) I don't want to change out tires on my current AP2 wheels each time I go to autocross/track as I am running & intend to run tires that are enough for the street but not for track, 2) 16" tires are easier on the wallet, and 3) not able to invest, nor see the need in purchasing a set of lightweight, forged 17's yet.

Now, I've searched and read a few threads on tire selection and like the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...rt+Z1+Star+Spec). However, the biggest size available for 16" seem to max out at 225 width for the rear and 205 for front. Now I know these are OEM sizes for the AP1, but was wondering if that would be wide enough for the track. Should I go with a different brand/model of tire with wider sizes, or stick with the Z1's?

I am not 100% certain how I will tow the wheels & tires to Buttonwillow, but am considering getting a tire trailer (ex: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=90153) since my car already has a hitch installed for my bike rack. It is rated for 200 lbs (IIRC), and since a trailer would simply be pulled along the road, I have read that as long as 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer does not exceed the max load on the hitch, I will be fine. So will my bike rack hitch be adequate for a job like this?

If it helps to throw it into the equation... my AP2 is stock with the exception of KW V3 coilovers.

And as a checklist for other things... I will do these before the event:
- alignment
- check all fluid levels and top off as necessary
- bring tire pressure gauge, pump, and other car tools

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest either getting a set of OEM AP1 tires (Bridgestone S-02 205/55, 225/50) or a set of R-comps. I use RA1s (205/55,245/45) but those have recently been replaced by R888s, also made by Toyo.

As long as they have some tread left, you could actually just drive to the event on the R-comps. You definitely could drive there on the street tires. I once did a track day at Laguna Seca on street tires, and drove there from Seattle (via J-Tree!).
Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 PM

I disagree with mikegarrison's suggestion on buying OEM tires, but everything thing else is good info. La Jolla to Buttonwillow is a bit of a trek though, and will kill the tires a lot quicker, especially in you got lots of toe/camber. I think Mike's intent is to recommend a stock stagger, but IMO the OEMs are expensive especially given that the Dunlops are clearly better.

I have lots of autox/track experience on many different tires, including the Dunlops and also the OEMs and hands down the Z1s are better, especially for $50 cheaper per tire ($200 total savings). There are other tires that are bigger (225/245 Hankook RS-2s) but the 225 Dunlops are still faster. My next suggestion would be the Bridgeston RE-01Rs. They last longer, with slightly less grip than the Z1s. Stock stagger can be approximated by running higher pressures in the front (it will also help prevent outside shoulder wear).

I have 2 225/16 Star Specs that I can sell you if you're interested. I bought them about 3 weeks ago and they have 3 autoxes and less than 500 miles, about 80% tread left. I offer becuase stock of this size is low (I had to get them shipped from Tire Rack's east coast warehouse to Cali) and financial difficulties are killing me. Lemme know.

I also know someone selling their tire trailer. It's a small tire trailer with mounts for 4 wheels/tires and a storage bin on it for track tools. It's in the LA area.

One thing I highly emphasize is brakes. GET GOOD BRAKES! If there is one thing I see that consistently ruins a track day, it's not having appropriate brakes. The stock S2000 pads are great, except they fade really fast at track days. If you get track pads, you can jam on the brakes all day with impunity.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Actually, my intention was to de-emphisize the concentration on hardware and just to encourage arriving and driving. As long as the car is mechanically sound, the focus is all going to be on the driver, not the car.

I have no experience about street tires other than the OEMs and the S-03s (that are no longer made). I did have one set of Dunlops (FM901) that were so bad I sold them for about $20/tire just to get rid of them. (They came with a set of wheels I bought.)
Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tracked both a number of times and I definitely prefer the dunlop direzzas over the s02's.

on my ap1 I start around 32psi and bleed them down to around 35psi right after I come off track
Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the input guys I just ordered a set of Carbotech AX6 brake pads, hopefully they'll come in time. Also I am pretty set on the Dunlop Z1's.

Just a bump for more tire trailer input... then I'll be set
Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Feel free to get a tire trailer eventually (and there are plenty of existing discussions about it, so nobody is in a rush to repeat the info rather than let you search), but there's no reason you can't just drive to the event on the Dunlops. Swap the brakes and tires at home, then just go.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 10 2008, 11:07 AM
Feel free to get a tire trailer eventually (and there are plenty of existing discussions about it, so nobody is in a rush to repeat the info rather than let you search), but there's no reason you can't just drive to the event on the Dunlops. Swap the brakes and tires at home, then just go.
You're right Mike... no rush indeed. I will go with that plan!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM

If you're running the AX6, I'd just put them on at home and drive them there and back. Bring your stock pads just in case. But there should be no problem driving there on the AX6. I "daily" on my XP10's no problem.
(But my definition of daily = once a week )

The drive up is far but I've been up to BW twice (And I drive from Mission Valley), and the drive up with my aggressive alignment has little to no effect on the tire wear. In fact, I'm driving up on my NT01's this next event.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by 808_S2K,Dec 10 2008, 11:27 AM
If you're running the AX6, I'd just put them on at home and drive them there and back. Bring your stock pads just in case. But there should be no problem driving there on the AX6. I "daily" on my XP10's no problem.
(But my definition of daily = once a week )

The drive up is far but I've been up to BW twice (And I drive from Mission Valley), and the drive up with my aggressive alignment has little to no effect on the tire wear. In fact, I'm driving up on my NT01's this next event.
I'll be on NT01s and XP10s as well.

OP: You should be just fine running your setup on the street and to and from the track.

Quick Reply: Preparation for first track day