S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Questions from track first-timer

Old 03-26-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from track first-timer

I am preparing for my first track event, HPDE on a 2 mile circuit. I have been reading as much as I can to prepare, but have a few questions for those that have done this before. I am hoping to take my stock car and have fun and learn to drive better while minimizing cost and risk of mechanical failure. I figure it makes more sense to improve the driver before I chuck a bunch of cash into mechanical upgrades or performance mods.

1. Brakes - There is a spectrum of opinion posted out there. Some say stock pads are just fine, others say you had better install street/race pads and race fluid before you go, and bring spare pads/fluid to the track to swap onsite. Are stock pads and fluid OK for a 2-day HPDE event (in beginner class)? Or will I suffer brake meltdown and not be able to drive home?

2. Tires - I have my OEM S02s with about 4000 miles on them. Will they survive? Is 32PSI cold good tire pressure to start with?

3. Top up or down? The event apparently allows it either way. Does it matter or just personal preference?

4. Oil and fluids - I am running whatever oil the dealer put in 1000 miles ago. Should I change the oil to a known quantity - Castrol or Mobil 1 - before the event, after the event, or both? Likewise, I have some of the LE differential fluid - same question.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I appreciate any advice. Anything else I should be aware of?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There was a whole thread about this a little while back. I wish someone would find it and add it to the faq list. Anyways -

brakes - You're PROBABLY fine with the stock pads and fluids if it's your first ever day. It's possible, depending on the track, your skill level, and how much you improve that day that you could exceed the limits of the stock pads and fluid. Just keep an eye on the brakes on the track and if they start to feel like they're not working as well as they had been back off a little bit and then check them out when you get back to the pits. If you start going to the track regularly you'll need to upgrade pads and fluid.

S02's - You should be fine with your S02's. I ran S02's at the track for the first two years I tracked the car.

top up/down - You'll lose some time with the top down due to aerodynamics but you're probably not concerned with time anyways. Visibility is better with the top down. Since it's your first event I'd recommend top down but it's really a personal preference question.

oil/fluids - you're probably fine as long as everything has been changed per Honda recommended intervals.

Oh, and one more thing. Have fun and don't get crazy
Old 03-26-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My experience..

1. brakes. OEM went to hell on my first track day a really detracted from enjoyment and safety. I recommend better pads and fluid.

2. Start with street tires at 34 cold and adjust as you gain experience.

3. I have learned that top up is not only better in the air but reduces distractions.. down for parade laps.

4. Fluids as in manual are fine.

Show up ready to learn and have fun. Sleep the night before is very important.. alert with the right attitude will make it a good experience.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you'll be just fine with your car the way it is. Go have fun, be courteous and safe. All your questions will be answered after you get home. If you do it right you'll be back to the track having more fun and learning to get faster and what you'll need to do to your car.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

First thing, I recommend you have your car aligned. It's not necessary but my car was not correct from the factory the car would tend to dart under braking before hand (not something you want to experience at 100+)

I like the Honda UK specs for alignment

Brakes, I went for Panther plus pads and super ATE fluid, I am glad I did. If you are comfortable changing
them out then do it. Otherwise keep an eye on your stock pads, If you boil the stock brake fluid you are going to be in trouble.

Stock tires are fine, just check your hot pressure after each heat, 32 to start is good. I think folks here like about 40 hot, (big grey area). Make sure you bring a tire gauge.

I would bring some oil with you to top off since you may burn quite a bit by VTEC'ing so much, you might as well chage the diff oil before hand.

NO PARKING BRAKE. put the car in gear and kill the engine to park. Also try to drive a cool down lap with as little braking as possible.

Top down is more fun, I never drove in the dry with the top down, in the wet I was hitting 125 (top up) the best I got in the dry was 122. (I was carrying way more speed onto the straight too)

Bring a folding chair and a sun/rain shade (Easy up)

Have fun.

George

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 6sigma
I am preparing for my first track event, HPDE on a 2 mile circuit.