S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Race Prep/Streetability Direction Needed

Old 01-24-2019, 01:04 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
OP, be fully aware, what may be a worthwhile track mod can also make a street driven car more dangerous.

No free lunch.
Freq is somewhat cryptic here. Is he subtly trying to warn us off putting a roll bar in a car used on the street? I don't know, but his comment warrants consideration simply because it is He who offers it.

So you have your roll bar covered maybe by some nice and dense SFI 45.1 roll bar padding. You bang your helmeted head into it at a track day - stunned? but no big deal.

If you bang your unprotected head into it while getting rear ended or T-boned on the way home, however, different story. That padding is almost as hard as the roll bar upright!

Just another conundrum for the track day junkie. Makes me want to forget the S and get a race prepped spec Miata.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Freq is somewhat cryptic here. Is he subtly trying to warn us off putting a roll bar in a car used on the street? I don't know, but his comment warrants consideration simply because it is He who offers it.

So you have your roll bar covered maybe by some nice and dense SFI 45.1 roll bar padding. You bang your helmeted head into it at a track day - stunned? but no big deal.

If you bang your unprotected head into it while getting rear ended or T-boned on the way home, however, different story. That padding is almost as hard as the roll bar upright!

Just another conundrum for the track day junkie. Makes me want to forget the S and get a race prepped spec Miata.
I'm not disagreeing with the principal of what you're saying, but I think a properly installed rollbar can still be safe without a helmet. My Harddog rollbar is behind the plane of the seat back so it's unlikely one's head would come in contact with it. A full roll cage would be a different story.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 PM

I'm was just musing on a cold and rainy afternoon. Beats actual work.

Yes, I do know quite a few guys who have the Hard Dog in their street cars.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BradtheMachine

Don't forget you have special StopTech pricing all season for participating in the TakeOver events. Contact AZP or I can get you the prices on the lines and whatever else you need!
I did forget! I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow with a list of stuff I'm going to be getting, probably just the lines though.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
A couple of loose ends worth mentioning.

For novice drivers with an instructor, taken from the SCDA site: "Both passenger and driver side seat belts should be fully functional and the same restraint system must be used for both driver and passenger." NASA-NE has the same rule, I believe, as do most other organizations that provide instructors.

For use of a HANS device, one normally needs a harness bar and a race harness - meaning race seats, roll bar and harnesses, plus the HANS. Short of that, OP may want to consider using a hybrid FHR instead. See https://driver61.com/resources/hans-...-buyers-guide/
Since Driver61 was linked, he also has a pretty good Youtube channel with a "university series" for track driving basics.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtbLA0YM6EpwUQhFUyPQU9Q/videos

There's about 20 videos going over the "basics" - braking, weight transfer, where to look, maximizing time on track, the racing line, over/under steer, etc. etc. to more advanced topics like using telemetry, driving at the limit, prioritizing corners for faster laptimes (ie - throwing a way one corner to better setup for the ones following it).

Last edited by Bullwings; 01-24-2019 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThisIsRace (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:09 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsRace
Thanks much for the info! I'm pretty self aware of my abilities/lack thereof in most of life. I'm really looking forward to getting in to it. I'll be taking all of the advice you just gave seriously. Are you instructing at NYST in May?
Im Florida.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Since Driver61 was linked, he also has a pretty good Youtube channel with a "university series" for track driving basics.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtbLA0YM6EpwUQhFUyPQU9Q/videos

There's about 20 videos going over the "basics" - braking, weight transfer, where to look, maximizing time on track, the racing line, over/under steer, etc. etc. to more advanced topics like using telemetry, driving at the limit, prioritizing corners for faster laptimes (ie - throwing a way one corner to better setup for the ones following it).
I'm going to check this out

Found a local guy that sells HANS over here for the NASCAR guys, going to go check him out before I buy my seats to figure out what the best device is for me.

Thanks so much to everyone who has helped me on this journey, I really learned a ton these past few days from you guys
Old 01-25-2019, 12:17 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

A few thoughts:

- get your feet wet in both autocross and track and decide which one you want to build your car for. Putting a rollbar, seats and harnesses might kick you out of certain autocross classes. You definitely won’t be in street and will likely not be legal for STR either. As you start doing this, you’re budget, interest will likely drive where you end up spending more time - circuit or parking lot.

- for your first event, I’d change to SS brake lines and get a better set of pads. You can always stay with factory pads. I only upgraded pads once I was signed off to go to intermediate. It was then that I upgraded the brake lines and pads. Started with Hawk HP Plus and as I progressed moved on to DTCs and then to G-Loc/Carbotech.

- if you decide the road course will be your weekend home, gradually ramp up to aggressive 200TW tires. I was on Hankook all-seasons for the duration of novice and even my first intermediate event.

- and if you’re staying on the road course and only go to autocross because it’s seat time, put your money towards safety mods. At this point, you’ll probably be running intermediate and can stick with a tire like the Continental Extreme Pro contact which is a very good tire among the current lot.

- sign up for car control clinics. Not sure where you’re located, but SCDA has several car control clinics at the skid pad and autocross track at Lime Rock. You’ll get a good 3 hours of time to slide the car around and test the limits in an environment that is less damaging were you to go off. NJMP May also have such clinics but I’m not sure. The reason you want to do this is to come to terms with the limits of the car and get practice in corrective action should you go over the limit.

- you’ll find yourself getting faster as you get more seat time. Here is when I’d recommend you invest in safety mods. Simpson Hybrid is an alternative to HANS. Also start thinking rollbar/cage and everything else. You can also start thinking about data. Recommend something like the AIM Solo or Apex Pro (latter being my choice) over Harry’s LapTimer

- you are now at the limits of the car in stock trim with all the safety mods. At this point, think about improving by maximizing mechanical grip (square setup, swaybars and coilovers - all or any)

- once you’ve benchmarked your performance to the limit of mechanical grip derived from the changes you made, start thinking aero.

- go over your car thoroughly prior to the start of the season and also make sure you check critical components prior to each event (think lines, pads, fluid bleed, bushings etc. )

good luck. We’ve all started somewhere. Each of us gets to where we are through trial and error. Plenty of sage advice on this forum as well as knowledgeable drivers. Pick their brains and make a decision that works for you and your wallet. Most importantly never stop learning or think you’ve reached the pinnacle of prep and capabilities. Always be hungry to learn and regardless of whether you’re in novice, advanced or an instructor group, don’t forget that you’re still learning and make sure you try to absorb as much as you can from everyone at the track. Always be thinking on what you did and how you can improve upon it.

- and god forbid, but if you ever fall off the horse, try and get back on as soon as you can. As one DE classroom instructor used to say, there are two types of drivers - those that have met the wall, and those that are yet to meet the wall.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by A 2; 01-25-2019 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by A 2:
ragtophardtop (04-22-2019), ThisIsRace (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by A 2
A few thoughts:

- get your feet wet in both autocross and track and decide which one you want to build your car for. Putting a rollbar, seats and harnesses might kick you out of certain autocross classes. You definitely won’t be in street and will likely not be legal for STR either. As you start doing this, you’re budget, interest will likely drive where you end up spending more time - circuit or parking lot.

- for your first event, I’d change to SS brake lines and get a better set of pads. You can always stay with factory pads. I only upgraded pads once I was signed off to go to intermediate. It was then that I upgraded the brake lines and pads. Started with Hawk HP Plus and as I progressed moved on to DTCs and then to G-Loc/Carbotech.

- if you decide the road course will be your weekend home, gradually ramp up to aggressive 200TW tires. I was on Hankook all-seasons for the duration of novice and even my first intermediate event.

- and if you’re staying on the road course and only go to autocross because it’s seat time, put your money towards safety mods. At this point, you’ll probably be running intermediate and can stick with a tire like the Continental Extreme Pro contact which is a very good tire among the current lot.

- sign up for car control clinics. Not sure where you’re located, but SCDA has several car control clinics at the skid pad and autocross track at Lime Rock. You’ll get a good 3 hours of time to slide the car around and test the limits in an environment that is less damaging were you to go off. NJMP May also have such clinics but I’m not sure. The reason you want to do this is to come to terms with the limits of the car and get practice in corrective action should you go over the limit.

- you’ll find yourself getting faster as you get more seat time. Here is when I’d recommend you invest in safety mods. Simpson Hybrid is an alternative to HANS. Also start thinking rollbar/cage and everything else. You can also start thinking about data. Recommend something like the AIM Solo or Apex Pro (latter being my choice) over Harry’s LapTimer

- you are now at the limits of the car in stock trim with all the safety mods. At this point, think about improving by maximizing mechanical grip (square setup, swaybars and coilovers - all or any)

- once you’ve benchmarked your performance to the limit of mechanical grip derived from the changes you made, start thinking aero.

- go over your car thoroughly prior to the start of the season and also make sure you check critical components prior to each event (think lines, pads, fluid bleed, bushings etc. )

good luck. We’ve all started somewhere. Each of us gets to where we are through trial and error. Plenty of sage advice on this forum as well as knowledgeable drivers. Pick their brains and make a decision that works for you and your wallet. Most importantly never stop learning or think you’ve reached the pinnacle of prep and capabilities. Always be hungry to learn and regardless of whether you’re in novice, advanced or an instructor group, don’t forget that you’re still learning and make sure you try to absorb as much as you can from everyone at the track. Always be thinking on what you did and how you can improve upon it.

- and god forbid, but if you ever fall off the horse, try and get back on as soon as you can. As one DE classroom instructor used to say, there are two types of drivers - those that have met the wall, and those that are yet to meet the wall.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Wow, thanks for all of the input. Right now I'm focusing on safety mods just because I'd rather have a wrecked car than a wrecked me. Not that I plan on doing anything nuts but like the other posts said, you never know. I can't tell you how much I appreciate each of the points you made. I'm one of those people who always needs to be learning something, that's part of the reason I'm really excited to start this journey.
Again thanks so much, I hope to meet you at an event one day!
Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 PM

Since you are on the Island.

Circuitstudies.com has excellent webinars on Lime Rock and Watkins Glen. Cost about $50 to $75 will be worth it. Very good written materials & track photos. Finding where to turn in at Turn 7 at the Glen alone worth it.

A2 and I plan to run Watkins Glen mid July with SCDA for 95% sure.

I’ll run Lime Rock at some point very early or very late in the season.

I may do the NYST with Brad the Machine in May. Good event that you will enjoy.

Quick Reply: Race Prep/Streetability Direction Needed