Race Prep/Streetability Direction Needed - Page 5 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Racing and Competition
Reload this Page >

Race Prep/Streetability Direction Needed

Notices
S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Prep/Streetability Direction Needed

Old 02-01-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Freq is somewhat cryptic here. Is he subtly trying to warn us off putting a roll bar in a car used on the street? I don't know, but his comment warrants consideration simply because it is He who offers it.

So you have your roll bar covered maybe by some nice and dense SFI 45.1 roll bar padding. You bang your helmeted head into it at a track day - stunned? but no big deal.

If you bang your unprotected head into it while getting rear ended or T-boned on the way home, however, different story. That padding is almost as hard as the roll bar upright!

Just another conundrum for the track day junkie. Makes me want to forget the S and get a race prepped spec Miata.
once you take that green flag in a rugby scrum of 20+ cars and go 3 wide into turn 1 with everybody’s mirrors touching....there’s no going back.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Freq is somewhat cryptic here. Is he subtly trying to warn us off putting a roll bar in a car used on the street? I don't know, but his comment warrants consideration simply because it is He who offers it.

So you have your roll bar covered maybe by some nice and dense SFI 45.1 roll bar padding. You bang your helmeted head into it at a track day - stunned? but no big deal.

If you bang your unprotected head into it while getting rear ended or T-boned on the way home, however, different story. That padding is almost as hard as the roll bar upright!

Just another conundrum for the track day junkie. Makes me want to forget the S and get a race prepped spec Miata.
Originally Posted by miamirice View Post

once you take that green flag in a rugby scrum of 20+ cars and go 3 wide into turn 1 with everybody’s mirrors touching....there’s no going back.
I'd agree with both of those. W2W racing can get expensive in any production-based car. The repeated high loadings put stresses that the manufacturer didn't design for.

Even worse, today's unibody chassis aren't able to survive a public highway accident at 75mph. It is common for the chassis of production-based race cars like a Spec Miata to be trash after an even modest accident. The chassis is twisted in ways that aren't repairable.

The safety issue is manageable...but expensive. A seat and cage that won't be safe or provide visibility on the street, fuel cell, fire system, etc.

Racing and track days are different in the frequency and severity of the accidents. But they occur in both environments.