S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing wing

Old 02-12-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's 12" but the angle makes it look tall and wide .

Mine's on a junkyard lid also. I mounted mine as far back also without it hanging past the bumper (the HPM 12" mounts angle back a lot, which helps). The further back on the lid the stiffer, and I also stiffened the lid with foam (insulation stuff from Home Depot) injected into all the channels. It weighs nothing and does stiffen it significantly.
Went from stock to JRZ's. Whose event is on 3/19-20 at Pahrump? I might be interested.

edit: just saw that it's Racer Factory. I had fun running with them last weekend at Willow. I'll try to be there too.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:25 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I just took the GTC-200 measurements and looked at my trunk, damn that' s going to be big. I am curious on the difference a wing like this makes, i.e. lap times,general feel.

Since this is still a street car for me also, I was going to add a Mugen 3-Piece spoiler (that is somewhat subtle) now this wing has me thinking maybe I should bag the Mugen.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:00 AM

All wings aren't created equal. The HPM is a true airfoil design with Gurney (?) flap. I don't know how the the more aesthetically pleasing APR compares in downforce, drag etc. Someone more technically knowledgeable like JZR can expand (there is a huge thread somewhere in this forum), but for me it's the confidence factor in high speed turns that's probably the biggest effect on my laptimes, but others here have proven that the HPM's and JZR's original AABAUW definitely improve laptimes even if you are fearless.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I raced last year here in Canada(a 94 del sol), at legendary MOSPORT....I ran consistent 1.41's, after putting on a front lip and the GTC-200 from APR I was in the 1.37's....nothing else was done, it is a HIGH downforce track, I was going over 200km/h in the back straight, and thru turn 2 and turn 4 I was hitting speeds of up to 165-170km/h. IT MADE A DIFFERENCE. Oh and I never played with the wing, it made such a drastic improvement that i left it alone. If you want a pic of it on a race prepped del sol, i can email it to you.(to see how it looks in race situation)
Old 02-13-2005, 12:31 PM

I think I could be using a more aggressive wing than the Mugen, but I have yet to put the wing to full tilt.

Kyle was quite apprehensive at Willow after the Evo went off. He really wants a cage in the S2000, and I am sure he'd welcome the bigger, high wings that others have.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Seems like it is always the Evo's that go off or hit the wall.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:17 PM

I like the looks of the GTC-200 as well, but I really can't tell you how it compares to the HPM. (I was planning to buy the HPM when I got offered the killer deal on the APR.)

You can definitely see the downforce in this photo coming out of the corkscrew at Laguna. (my suspension is stock, so the car isn't lowered)

Here's JP's wingless car in nearly the same spot. You can see the difference in the attitude of the cars, and the gap above his rear tire.

I'm very happy with the wing. I really noticed the difference at Big Willow a few weeks ago. The rear used to get really light coming through turn 6 and I always wanted to lift as a result. Now the car sits nice and low, with plenty of grip. With the wing, I'm much more comfortable making the shift into 4th right after turn 5.

On the downside, it really dragged in the straights and my acceleration was down. Even with the higher exit speeds it allowed me coming out of nine, I was actually a little slower than usual by the end of the front straight.

Mike, with the extra HP in your car, this shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem. I may go a bit less aggressive on the down angle next time and see what diff. it makes.

Still not sure if I can make Saturday at BW, but 25 CW would give the wing a new test through Riverside. If I just do Sunday as planned, I may leave the wing at home. (anyone think this is a mistake?)

Be careful trying to mount it too far backward. Because of the way our trunks are designed (on the underside) it can be very difficult to find a good spot for the holes if you back up too much. Mine's about as far back as it can get, and I had to be kind of "creative" on the underside to get it safely mounted. The trunk still shows signs of buckling. I'm going to steal Richard's idea about the spray in foam.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:30 PM

Nice shot demonstrating down force!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:36 PM

The credit goes to Karim for climbing that huge a$$ hill to take those photos.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:58 PM

Karim! I wish I would have hiked over there.

I don't think I'm going to mess with two trunk lids and the swap for events to get the wing on. I need to figure out how to prevent the trunk from buckling.

Quick Reply: Racing wing