S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1442894786' post='23754066
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1442809465' post='23752875']
There seems to be some discrepancy on the need for addressing this issue based on cars modification level and the specific track. I have yet to run a catch can or any provisions at the Ridge in WA being N/A on big street tires with an F22/valve cover. I have always bypassed the front valve cover breather because I don't like the idea of getting hot oil vapor circulating through the intake no matter what, and I just leave the factory pcv in place. I never dealt with any oil blow out of the breather filter/valve cover. The valve cover is always clean and after 4-5 20min sessions I see 1-2 x marks on dipstick at most lost. I imagine that is just purely evaporation from the high oil temp. I see no smoke clouds behind me and if there is it must be very minimal because ive never been blacked flagged yet.

I think for those that do have have an issue, the valve cover mod looks to be a worthy one to address the majority of the problem and id consider doing it if i needed.
I agree. For me at Blackhawk Farms with continental slicks I had trouble, but not on street tires. At Gingerman it will smoke for an S2k even on street tires. It is very obvious when it happens.

For cars/track this happens at/to, you need to do this modification. Lets start a list of track people have the issue at:

The S2000 smokescreen track list (with details when available):
Blackhawk Farms Raceway South Beloit, IL (on Slicks)
Gingerman Raceway South Haven, MI (On street tires at Turn 10)
Buttonwillow Track @ Riverside corner (mostly stock CR with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires)

Sebring International Raceway Sebring, FL (AP1 sized RS3v2, stock 05 F22C, first track day)

After going through bishop/turn 14 which is a fast left sweeper, you go hard on the brakes and make a right into 15. I always knew when it would happen because the car would give a quick "misfire" accelerating out of 15, followed by smoke obviously.
[/quote]

Ill add this to the list!
Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Has anyone done this without pulling the baffle off the valve cover?

I understand wanting to pull the baffle to clean up the burrs from drilling and to clean up any shards, but I think that can be accomplished with a de-burring tool and time with vacuums and compressed air.
I do not doubt that would work. But the idea of this modification is to be able to clear your mind of oiling issues. If you have shavings in your engine you added another mental element to the equation.

Clear your mind, take the time to do it as I have described
Old 10-09-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Has anyone done this without pulling the baffle off the valve cover?

I understand wanting to pull the baffle to clean up the burrs from drilling and to clean up any shards, but I think that can be accomplished with a de-burring tool and time with vacuums and compressed air.
I did just that the Thursday night before the HoD Sebring event. I used grease on the drill bit and then a shop vac and then ran some old oil from my catch can through the entire valve cover to try and get any remaining debris. The motor didn't blow up at Sebring, so I think it worked.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did I not see this sooner?!? Subscribed!
Old 10-17-2015, 04:43 AM

Drilled mine last night without pulling the baffle. Using a mill bit, it created very few shavings, and with a shop-vac sucking up the shavings as we drilled, it wasn't as messy as I was worried it would be. Flushed it out with oil, blew it out with shop air, and I feel pretty confident there's not anything significant on the other side of the baffle. Also used de-burring tools to clean up the holes.

Name:  s2000%20Valve%20Cover_zps5yo4clko.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  228.6 KB
Old 10-19-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

So after 2 days of heavy track use I did not blow clouds nor did I burn a drop of oil in my ap1. Maybe it's because the motor is very low miles, or maybe it's the ap2 valve cover. Either way, Im stoked!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know what would be more troublesome to me. The thought of having bolts there all the time that could fall out or the risk of some powedered metal in the oil. Maybe after you do this mod with baffle always installed, let the engine idle for a while and change oil/filter?
Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 PM

Glad to see people are solving the issue by doing this to their valve cover!

Originally Posted by shind3
I don't know what would be more troublesome to me. The thought of having bolts there all the time that could fall out or the risk of some powedered metal in the oil. Maybe after you do this mod with baffle always installed, let the engine idle for a while and change oil/filter?
The bolts are red loctite in place. They will NOT come out.
The following users liked this post:
MARK AUS S2K (12-06-2016)
Old 10-20-2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by shind3
I'm going to drive the car to work tomorrow then change the oil before the next track day.
With the mill bit the shavings were mostly above the baffle where a shop vac could capture them as we milled the hole in the valve cover.

I don't think either way is better or worse, I think as was stated earlier, its probably just personal preference and personal comfort level.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Is there any merit at all to performing this on a supercharged street car that is occasionally taken to the mountains?

Quick Reply: RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification