S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Recently Purchased '05 S2K, Lowered

Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently Purchased '05 S2K, Lowered

I am new to the forum and as an S2K owner. I purchased mine 3 months ago. I have been doing track events with NASA, AROSC, TCRA and others for 2 years, first with my SVT Focus, now with a track prepared '94 Toyota Celica. I am in HPDE III with NASA and run TT's with AROSC and TCRA. I've had the S2K on the track briefly - until the differential/r. axle let go out of turn 3 at WSIR. That's another story. My concern now is whether a lowered S2K is a detriment to the stock suspension, or an improvement. All I know about the lowering is that it has shorter Espelir springs. I don't know how much it is lowered. At the time of purchase I had a 4 wheel camber kit (SPC 67220) installed in order to attain proper alignment. I've learned the hard way about the vulnerability of the front spoiler lip and about watching road humps making contact under the car. If I want to use this car on the track should I restore the stock set up?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tracked my S2000 for many years with espelir spring and stock shocks. Emilio is one of the fastest guys here, and he is on Tein springs and oem shocks. It works, not ideal, but could be worse for sure. I like springs because they tend to not over lower a car, and allow for a bit more static camber.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 AM

The obvious downsides of running just springs are that your suspension system will be underdamped (depending on the spring rate), have less shock travel,and will have a less than ideal roll center. However, I am running Tein s tech springs with stock shocks and I noticed a large improvement over stock. The car has much less body roll and IMO a more track favorable handling balance with the stiffer rear end. For the money, easily the best modification you can do (besides a roll bar).
Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM

I really appreciate you guy's very prompt input. I was considering restoring to stock - or at least raising height to normal, maybe with heavier springs, since the car is to be my street driver for now and will only get rare track use. Moreover, I am having the differential replaced as I write this and I don't need other costs. I will be going with my track prepped, but far inferior handling/performing, Celica for now.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 PM

you said you bought a camber kit?? The S2000 has fully adjustable camber from the factory. Im pretty low but i was still able to run the UK spec alignment with no mods.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Tien S Techs and had no problem getting UK alignment as well.

If you are new to the "S2K world" you are on the right track...there is wealth of information between the search engine and the members on this forum. I would continue to search or post questions here before any purchase to save yourself from unecessary costs and wasted time.

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM

I am running -2.0 camber front (maxed out) and -2.5 in the rear with s techs no problem.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run stiffer lowerring springs about an inch drop and I picked up at least a second at Roebling!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Again, I'm really impressed with all of your quick responses. Only recently did I get this car onto WSIR. A NASA instructor did the driving and I went along for the ride. The instructor is a sponsored race driver and has driven other S2K's. He was mostly pleased with the handling and power for the couple laps that we did. He felt that the rear end was a "little loose" but the tire pressures wern't checked before going on the track and I don't know what brand they are (they are in good condition). So the lowerd springs seem to be good on the track. Once up to speed on the second or third lap the driver thought that the clutch needed adjustment, he thought that it was "slipping." Then I could smell what I thought was a hot clutch. Shortly thereafter the car broke out of turn #3 going up the hill. No power to the wheels in any gear. All believed that it was the clutch despite only 45K on the car. In fact the right rear axle had separated from the differential throwing grease onto the exhaust. It was determined that the differential is damaged and the axle bent and these are being replaced with a used parts. The right rear was damaged before I got the car and the control arm was replaced. Apparently the differential was damaged during that accident and the axle bent when it separated on the track. The Honda repair shop said that the clutch is okay and that all can be repaired, but as much as I want to put it onto the track again, eventually, I am concerned about the integrity as a result of earlier damage.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM

lowering springs on stock struts will make the car handle worse, yes.

Quick Reply: Recently Purchased '05 S2K, Lowered