S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Rollbar Incentives

Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Rollbar Incentives

Hello S2K Challenge Participants,

Safety is a very important issue that we would like to stress during this upcoming series. In an effort to strongly encourage safety, we have provided a two-fold incentive plan:

1) Those running rollbars/cages will have points subtracted from your total, giving you more room for additional mods.

-0.25** = roll bar installation
-0.50** = roll bar installation with bucket seat and FIA-approved 5+ point harness
-0.75** = full roll cage installation with bucket seat and FIA-approved 5+ point harness

2) Sponsor deals - I am currently working with a couple shops that will offer special rates for S2K Challenge Participants.

Bethania Garage - The makers of the Hard Dog rollbar is offering free shipping for S2K Challenge participants ($70 value). A "participant" is considered a driver that will attend at least ONE of our events during the 2010 season. Please first PM me, and I will give you the owner's contact number, and a "password" so that the owner knows that you are actually an S2K Challenge participant. Here is a link to their products.

http://www.bethania-garage.com/s2000.htm

I personally just ordered the S22DH w/ brackets (double diagonal w/ lowered harness bar /stock seat belt brackets), which will probably be a popular choice. (Pictured is the single diagonal)

Note to Mods: I read the forum rules and I hope this is not considered a "group buy." This is a discount offered solely to S2K Challenge Participants, similar to Evasive's discount program during the 2009 Season. If the mods have any questions, please PM me and I will be happy to work with you regarding this...thanks!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, sounds good! I'm hearing that this deal is about as good as its going to get. How much more is the double diagonal over the single one? Also, do you plan to do the install yourself? If so, I'd love to watch or assist to get an idea, especially for when you need to cut the wheel well.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by albertg,Feb 5 2010, 01:48 PM
Ed, sounds good! I'm hearing that this deal is about as good as its going to get. How much more is the double diagonal over the single one? Also, do you plan to do the install yourself? If so, I'd love to watch or assist to get an idea, especially for when you need to cut the wheel well.
It's an extra $50.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM

^^Thanks. Yeah, I saw it after I posted. I must've glossed over it the many times I've been to that page as I was never considering the double diagonal before. Still leaning towards the single.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=albertg,Feb 5 2010, 02:46 PM] ^^Thanks. Yeah, I saw it after I posted.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everyone should jump on this now. I have a feeling that it won't be long before there are new guidelines regarding roll over protection for the S2000 or stronger enforcement of the broomstick test at our local tracks.

Either way its the smart thing to do

-Rob
Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob.ok,Feb 5 2010, 01:21 PM
Everyone should jump on this now. I have a feeling that it won't be long before there are new guidelines regarding roll over protection for the S2000 or stronger enforcement of the broomstick test at our local tracks.
Why?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think what he is trying to say is...."before its to late".

In other words, our cars will HAVE to have a rollbar to be on the track.
Buy now and save $70 bucks.

Pics of mine since the other thread got deleted.

I have mine wleded in the front and cut the bulkhead in half to use the lowerbar and a stock seat at the same time.
Swap is easy and fast.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Feb 5 2010, 06:00 PM
Why?
Because it's been ignored for far too long, and it's unquestionably the smartest choice anyone could make in regards to safety. Besides is there any reason why one shouldn't jump all over the opportunity to save a few bucks and get the proper safety gear?

As far as regulations go....I've been watching and wondering how long the s2k will be allowed to run without proper roll protection in a competition event like the s2kc for a while let alone HPDE. We've got it pretty easy out here in regards to getting onto track; in a convertible with roll hoops well below the majority of drivers heads (who can not pass the broomstick test). Just look at the rest of the nation. S2k is not allowed on ViR without SCCA approved roll protection. All takes is one unfortunate accident before it's mandatory with our local track and clubs too. I personally don't want to see that set of circumstances being the reason why a policy like this would be enforced. I think that the clubs and tracks are thinking along the same lines, and will enforce it before it becomes and issue (meaning, one that could potentially be avoided through stricter regulations)

I pushed hard to have safety incentives for s2kc participants and I'm totally on board with this program as well
-Rob
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see nothing recently that has changed that would cause a sudden mandate to require S2000's and similar cars to have aftermarket rollbars. Unfortunately S2000's have been rolled over at the track for a while now.

While I agree that having a rollbar is the smartest choice, I have no desire to see it forced down my throat. I personally know the risks and I choose to accept them. Which has a greater risk, potentially hitting my unprotected head on the roll bar during an accident on the street or rolling over on the track? All that being said, I do plan to get a roll bar installed in my car this year.

We tell all the newbies out there to not street race and to take it to the track, but of course having the requirement of a roll bar is a huge barrier that would prevent most S2000 owners from doing so. Either they don't go and continue to street race or they get a sedan, which doesn't necessarily offer any more protection in a rollover than the S2000. I've organized many track day outings for the Bay Area crew, some having more then 20 cars. I know 90% of the cars wouldn't have been able to make it if such a restriction was in place.

Quick Reply: Rollbar Incentives