S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals

Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064,Jan 8 2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for posting!

Do you have data or anything that shows the drop off in performance on RS3's, or was it via the butt dyno? And I assume by "heat cycle" you mean "track day" (as opposed to an autocross heat cycle)
They definitely fall off. You don't notice it from the driver's seat - you'll notice it in the times though. You'll come in after a run thinking you nailed it and the time is .5-1sec slower.

And yes the Hankook needs a lot of pressure and camber in STR trim - like mid 40's and at least 3deg up front, with the stock suspension I imagine you would need 3.5-4deg.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNick,Jan 9 2011, 02:29 PM
They definitely fall off. You don't notice it from the driver's seat - you'll notice it in the times though. You'll come in after a run thinking you nailed it and the time is .5-1sec slower.

And yes the Hankook needs a lot of pressure and camber in STR trim - like mid 40's and at least 3deg up front, with the stock suspension I imagine you would need 3.5-4deg.
I agree they do heat cycle out but I think its hard to say when it happened for me because last season I dd my car with the rs-3s on. Any input on after how many autocrosses or track days they heat cycle out? Or any way to tell besides "the times were slower"
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Former Sponsor

My general consensus is the same. RS3's have the most ultimate grip of any of the UHP street tires out there. They don't maintain the consistent grip the Star specs do but their grip when fresh is unmatched.

We've ran the gamut of UHP street tires and RS3's have been by far the fastest tire we've run. AD08's and SS are next in line. IMO if you can afford the price premium don't run anything else but these three tires.

Edit: Have not run the RE11 yet. Supposed to be a great tire as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Great comparison Mike. It was nice meeting you at the track! I am running the RS3's but don't have anything to compare them to. But it seems they do need to be run with more camber. I am at -2.2 fr and -2.5 r and it isn't enough for me. They are wearing quite a bit over the edge of the tires. I don't have a tire pyrometer so I am just judging by the wear passed the contact patch. They are excellent tires though. They grip very well. They seem to begin losing grip after maybe 6-8 hot laps or so though. I wasn't really counting. Just going by memory. But even then they are completely manageable and fun! I will most likely be going with them again for my next set of tires.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks mike for being so helpful at the tracks today (:
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by '09S2K,Jan 9 2011, 07:01 PM
Great comparison Mike. It was nice meeting you at the track! I am running the RS3's but don't have anything to compare them to. But it seems they do need to be run with more camber. I am at -2.2 fr and -2.5 r and it isn't enough for me. They are wearing quite a bit over the edge of the tires. I don't have a tire pyrometer so I am just judging by the wear passed the contact patch. They are excellent tires though. They grip very well. They seem to begin losing grip after maybe 6-8 hot laps or so though. I wasn't really counting. Just going by memory. But even then they are completely manageable and fun! I will most likely be going with them again for my next set of tires.
You need WAYY more camber. The camber will help with static grip during sustained cornering, but more importantly, you won't destroy the outer shoulders.

(For the readers, his tires completely wore off the triangle indicator on the side of the tires; we unfortunately do not have access to a pyrometer)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I run RS3s and love them once they are heated up. They probably have about 3000 miles on them now.

I'm currently at -2.6F and -3.0R camber. I don't notice as bad of a shoulder wear as you were. Maybe I'm not driving hard enough

edit: my tire pressure is 34 cold
Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 AM

The star specs are (in)famous for their hum =p. Is -3.75/-2.75 camber commonly attainable for a CR suspension? I don't think my oem ap2's could get anywhere near that.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moogleii,Jan 10 2011, 02:33 AM
The star specs are (in)famous for their hum =p. Is -3.75/-2.75 camber commonly attainable for a CR suspension? I don't think my oem ap2's could get anywhere near that.
-1.8/-2.75 is about the max you can get stock on the CR; I hear a non-CR can get slightly higher. I am running the J's offset ball joint in the front, and am planning on getting a camber kit for the rear as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I run my Dunlops on the street because my Hankooks growl more. Both are at 50% life at this point. I'm not sure how quickly the tires scrub on the track as it has been awhile, but grip increased after a few cycles on the Dunlop but I recall the Hankooks lighting up faster in fewer cycles.

I agree with the crispness and feel of the tires where Hankooks are softer and more forgivable.

Quick Reply: RS-3 vs Z1SS vs 595 RS-R vs RE-11 vs Z2 vs Rivals