S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 Racing

Old 01-15-2001, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anybody see the article in Car and Driver about the King Motorsports sponsored S2000 that was racing in SCCA competition this past year? Apparently it was not the world beater that was expected but did very respectably against big V-8 cars. It was handicapped by lack of torque on tracks with long straights and fewer turns. But, it did much better on tracks that favored better handling. Anyway, a very interesting article.
Old 01-15-2001, 05:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The inconsistencies in lap times and the total absence of the discussion about the driver and support team leads me to believe there is a lot of story not being told.

The driver, the setup of the car, the preparation for a track, and just the just the mix of competition can have more to do with success or failure.

IMO the car itself is at a bit of a disadvantage in the class it is in, depending upon the track, and if the sanctioning bodies would give it a bit of a weight break it might be closer to equal.
Old 01-15-2001, 06:20 AM

At least one car raced in T2 was Neal Sapp. The car was leased from TCKline (I read this on this list).

SCCA though the car had an unfair advantage and had 75lbs ADDED to it - what does 75lbs do to a car with our kind of engine. The car also ran with stock wheels, etc. The one time I read about it competing against a Boxter S the S2000 finished ahead (it ran on 18" rims). I seem to recall Mr. Sapp winning one or two races - but don't have the details. I believe I made another post about this a while back and someone on the list is on friendly terms with him.

I was quite disappointed in not seeing him run the car at Topeka - but was comforted by Gary Thomason's results. Mr. Sapp was not allowed to run his car when the officials "found out it was the car he races". No details on why other than that.

Etgar
Old 01-15-2001, 08:10 AM

I can shed a little light here... there was background of Tony Swan (the writer of the article/driver of the car) in the article... check it again. He's been racing for a long time, and had his fair share of success. He is a talented driver.

The other car was Neal Sapp, and was leased from T.C. Kline. The fact that he was able to beat the V8's at *any* track is a credit to his driving ability. Those cars are stupid-fast in a straight line, and most road-courses are more straigtaway than turn. I think with some further shock development, the S2000 might be able to do better in T2, but the fact of the matter is it's way too down on power. The Boxter S is heavier, but rides on 30% more tire. The Camaros have 200% more torque and 10% more tire.

As for Topeka, the reason they didn't let them run is that it was prepped to T2 rules, which slightly differ from the stock-class rules. In T2, you are allowed to lower the car, and you can change both front and rear swaybar. I believe engine management is free, too - making the car illegal for stock-class autocrossing. That's why they didn't let Sapp run the car. We'll see if he secures a ride in one next year... I hope so, I'd love another shot at him! I had to run against him in GS this past year, and I could have run with him (If I had figured out how to remove my head from my ass).

Hope that clears some stuff up!
Old 01-15-2001, 09:00 AM

Jason (or anybody else),

Anybody heard what the thought process of requiring Mr. Sapp's S2000 to carry the 75lbs of lead? For a car that's down on power it doesn't seem to make too much sense.

Etgar
Old 01-15-2001, 10:27 AM

Jason- That was the basic idea that I got from the story, that the v-8's just gut out the stook coming out of the turns and on the straights. Apparently the superior handling of the Honda is not enough to over come raw torque. There was an interesting picture accompanying the story showing the stook leading a 'vette though.
Old 01-19-2001, 02:07 PM

I can't remember what it was, but Sapp's moved up in the world. As you know he did well with his BMW this year, and he got a ride in another series, I just can't remember what. It was Porsche Cup or something...
Old 01-19-2001, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by etgar
[B]Jason (or anybody else),

Anybody heard what the thought process of requiring Mr. Sapp's S2000 to carry the 75lbs of lead?