S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Seat options

Old 10-04-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Seat options

With this offseason is going to come safety upgrades including seats. I am going to do both a driver and passenger seat. I only do HPDE events and instruct. I drive the car on nice weekends and to/from events. I will have a roll bar and harnesses on the driver side, the passenger side will have an OEM belt as I don't want passengers without a HANS using harnesses. I will toss the OEM belts in for the driver when driving on the street. I planned to hard mount both seats, passenger as far back as I can. My waist is 33", I am 5' 10" and have broad shoulders (I weigh 185lb). My budget is $2k for two seats and mounting hardware, I am not opposed to gently used. I want something that wont interfere with the center console or door. What seats should I have on my list of options?

1) Recaro Pole Position
2) Recaro Profi
Old 10-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
the passenger side will have an OEM belt as I don't want passengers without a HANS using harnesses.

NASA (NE) requires the same restraints for both driver and passenger. FWIW

You should also consider a halo seat but they suck on the street.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by freq
NASA (NE) requires the same restraints for both driver and passenger. FWIW

You should also consider a halo seat but they suck on the street.
I would debate anyone that it is safer for a passenger with a harness and no Hans, to the point where I wouldn't take a passenger in that region if need be. Yeah I do not want a halo seat for that reason, so no halo seats
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm of similar stature to you, 5'11, 185 lbs, athletic build and I went with Sparco Evo II seats with harnesses for my S. I ordered from sparco.it and they came from Europe so I could save some cash. Originally I paid about ~1200 for two seats and harnesses but after some dispute with Sparco I ended up getting free seats, yay me. I paired them with buddy club rails which works. Install was a pain but I wrote up a simpler way to install on the other seats thread in the R/C forum, found here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...620257/page52/
There's also a discount code for sparco.it in that thread I used to get an additional 15% off but I'm not sure if valid anymore. I also got a coupon code from my order for 15% off as well, if interested pm me.
Overall, I like the seat. Haven't installed the harnesses yet since I ordered a roll bar which I've yet to install so I'm putting it all off til the off season but I did mount the seats. They do hit the door panel with door closed and there is limited adjustment, front/back, since the seat is so wide and hit the transmission tunnel in certain spots. There is some wiggle room but I do feel nice and snug in there and I'm sure once I get the harnesses installed, I'll be nice and solid in there.
Finally, I think only the Evo II and III have the shoulder harness holes high enough for taller people. I've heard all of the other Sparco seats have holes to low for safe harness passage so be careful of you decide to go the Sparco route.
If you have any more questions about the Evo II seat, just hit me up.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by FZXtreme
I'm of similar stature to you, 5'11, 185 lbs, athletic build and I went with Sparco Evo II seats with harnesses for my S. I ordered from sparco.it and they came from Europe so I could save some cash. Originally I paid about ~1200 for two seats and harnesses but after some dispute with Sparco I ended up getting free seats, yay me. I paired them with buddy club rails which works. Install was a pain but I wrote up a simpler way to install on the other seats thread in the R/C forum, found here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...620257/page52/
There's also a discount code for sparco.it in that thread I used to get an additional 15% off but I'm not sure if valid anymore. I also got a coupon code from my order for 15% off as well, if interested pm me.
Overall, I like the seat. Haven't installed the harnesses yet since I ordered a roll bar which I've yet to install so I'm putting it all off til the off season but I did mount the seats. They do hit the door panel with door closed and there is limited adjustment, front/back, since the seat is so wide and hit the transmission tunnel in certain spots. There is some wiggle room but I do feel nice and snug in there and I'm sure once I get the harnesses installed, I'll be nice and solid in there.
Finally, I think only the Evo II and III have the shoulder harness holes high enough for taller people. I've heard all of the other Sparco seats have holes to low for safe harness passage so be careful of you decide to go the Sparco route.
If you have any more questions about the Evo II seat, just hit me up.

Thanks! $1200 seems very reasonable, half the price of the Recaro! I will add the Evo II to the list.

1.) Recaro Pole Position
2.) Recaro Profi
3.) Sparco Evo II

Any feedback on Status Ring?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Height doesn't really mean anything, what is your inseam? I have an Evo I and it required hammer persuasion but still hits the door when closed at 30" inseam. I also got mine absurdly cheap, but from Murray Motorsports in Ireland.

Getting to the center console is going to suck regardless with buckets in the car, and you're going to lose it to any proper rollbar anyway.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 PM

My inseam is 32. I have seen plenty of roll bars with the center council still intact.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Ones with a properly located harness bar?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Ones with a properly located harness bar?
It's possible but requires a lot of cutting to make things fit, and you lose the use of the secret compartment.

As far as restraints, I run both OEM seat belts and harnesses. You can easily run both without compromising one or the other. If I have a passenger I let them choose whichever they are most comfortable with.

For seats I am running Corbeau Forza Sport seats, they are the cheapest FIA approved seats in the market, but might not be the most comfortable for everyone. They fit the car well, they allow use of the center console with no issue, and installs easily with the Corbeau S2000 specific seat brackets. Each seat is less than $400 from THMotorsports (bracket is additional $120).
Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I would debate anyone that it is safer for a passenger with a harness and no Hans, to the point where I wouldn't take a passenger in that region if need be. Yeah I do not want a halo seat for that reason, so no halo seats
Disregarding the halo and hans...I don't think I know of any HPDE's that allow you to run a harness without your passenger having one on as well. Perhaps you were already planning this and I missed it above. But just for the sake of clarifying, I'm pretty sure that's common practice. Basically, the driver isn't allowed to use what the passenger can't. Meaning you'd be forced to run a lap belt any time someone was in the car with you. Long story short, I'd spring for a second set of harnesses.

Last edited by Kirk180; 10-05-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Seat options