S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Shop to Re-Valve KW V3?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone revalved these shocks? Do you recommend to buy these used?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
TWF

That is what whole thread is about
They can be revalved, refreshed, modified or whatever you want, you just can't buy parts for them from KW because they will not sell it. For that reason alone I will never buy this shocks or recommend them to anybody. However there are many people around who have them and are happy with them.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by TWF
That is what whole thread is about
They can be revalved, refreshed, modified or whatever you want, you just can't buy parts for them from KW because they will not sell it. For that reason alone I will never buy this shocks or recommend them to anybody. However there are many people around who have them and are happy with them.
Yeah, I've been hearing good reviews about v3's, but no info on maintenance, specifically parts. So where do ppl buy parts for v3's? Is there an alternative to v3 at similar price range?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You have to ship your V3s to KW to have parts replaced or get them rebuilt--but they will not re-valve them. V3s are a very good street/track shock because they work well and are built for long term use without requiring a rebuild. Two of my shocks were over 6 years old and the seals & oil looked good when disassembled. You'll have to pay to get a better track shock and you'll have to rebuild them much more often.

My re-valved V3s are installed and ready to go for a late March track day.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^No wild test run through the neighborhood ?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robrob
You have to ship your V3s to KW to have parts replaced or get them rebuilt--but they will not re-valve them. V3s are a very good street/track shock because they work well and are built for long term use without requiring a rebuild. Two of my shocks were over 6 years old and the seals & oil looked good when disassembled. You'll have to pay to get a better track shock and you'll have to rebuild them much more often.

My re-valved V3s are installed and ready to go for a late March track day.

Please give back impressions relative to the base KW valving. Very interested in this.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Former Moderator

^No wild test run through the neighborhood ?
Not yet anyway
Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 AM
TWF

Those of you that follow this remember we are trying to make piece to bypass KW for rebuilds. I designed piece that will take different seals which are available from suppliers here in USA. I made one piece as prototype (all my machines are manual) and took to local cnc shop to price it. They just got back to me with cost. Basically we can have this piece made, add oil seal and wiper seal to it for around $30 per shock. This is one time cost, after that it is just seals if you rebuilding shock. This piece replaces one of the pieces, on picture it would be the one under the shock cap. It is also reversible, nothing else gets modified or changed so you could go back to KW way any time you want.
Here is the problem, I need to order at least 10 sets at the time (4 per set) to make it cost effective. We don't really have that much interest and it makes no sense for me to front money and sit on parts that may never be used.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Former Moderator

I'm definitely in for a set. How much are just the seals?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Just to be clear, KW USA will rebuild the shocks for $167 each, but they will not re-valve them.
Interesting. My friend has V3 and didn’t even buy them new from KW, he got them used and KW rebuilt all of them for free without question. The seals started to go out on one or several of them and I believe had to have more extensive work done from wear, like a couple pistons replaced. Surprised to hear that, but my understanding was KW offers lifetime repairs free of charge, just pay for shipping. Turn around time was about 6 weeks If I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: Shop to Re-Valve KW V3?