S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Simpson HNR devices

Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Simpson HNR devices

I posted this on another forum and would like to get some opinions here as well.

Quick question on these two products, which i've linked here.

Hybrid Sport: Simpson Race Products

FIA Hybrid - also 3-Point Belt Compatible: Simpson Race Products

The "Hybrid" specifically says 3-point belt compatible.

However, at the time when i bought my "Hybrid Sport", the "3-point belt compatible" version of the "Hybrid" was not yet being sold. I specifically bought the "Hybrid Sport" to use with the OEM 3-point belts. Can I still use it with my OEM 3-point belts, or is it un-advisable?
Am I better off just going all, OEM? I currently have a recaro SPG that fits very tightly and snugly against my hips - see below.

So, Hybrid Sport use ok with OEM 3-point or with harnesses only?

Obviously, roll bar with 6 point harness is the way to go, but I have neither a roll bar nor a spare dedicated daily driver at the moment.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Trying not to sound like a jerk, but why not just call Simpson and ask them. Really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. In the end, they are really the ones who determine how the product was engineered, to insure your safety.

When you get an answer, please post back. Those of us who instruct should be interested in these types of products.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Hybrid Sport at work and it works with harnesses and with regular 3 point belts which is mainly why we got them. I rarely use my HANS anymore as I liked the Hybrid Sport better. I feel like the only difference between those two is one is FIA and the other "can be FIA".
Old 08-18-2016, 05:26 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

so this is a head and neck restraint that works with a 3 point belt?
Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
so this is a head and neck restraint that works with a 3 point belt?
Yes, it's worn around the outside of your shirt. Common in motox, or snow mobiles etc
Old 08-18-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the clarification everyone. Now, I need to get some anchors and drill my helmet.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAVEAT I work for HANS Performance Products, owned by Simpson Racing.
The HYBRID model is the only model that is approved for 3-point belts. The HYBRID SPORT model is not compatible with this application.

Simpson PR:
The Hybrid Head Restraint is now the only Frontal Head Restraint proven effective for 3-point harnesses that is also FIA Approved. This discovery allows Driving Instructors, Auto Manufacturing Test Engineers, and other drivers with 3-point harnesses to have added protection.

We are pleased to offer protection to this sector of the market, however Simpson’s top concern is your safety. While on a racetrack for the BEST protection we suggest a Full Containment Cockpit System that includes a Full Containment Seat, Snell rated Helmet, FIA or SFI approved Frontal Head Restraint, and a 7-point seatbelt harness system.

Thank you for the opportunity to post in this forum. Please do not hesitate to contact me for information on Frontal Head Restraints.
Gary Milgrom
gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com
Old 08-19-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Milgrom
CAVEAT I work for HANS Performance Products, owned by Simpson Racing.
The HYBRID model is the only model that is approved for 3-point belts. The HYBRID SPORT model is not compatible with this application.

Simpson PR:
The Hybrid Head Restraint is now the only Frontal Head Restraint proven effective for 3-point harnesses that is also FIA Approved. This discovery allows Driving Instructors, Auto Manufacturing Test Engineers, and other drivers with 3-point harnesses to have added protection.

We are pleased to offer protection to this sector of the market, however Simpson’s top concern is your safety. While on a racetrack for the BEST protection we suggest a Full Containment Cockpit System that includes a Full Containment Seat, Snell rated Helmet, FIA or SFI approved Frontal Head Restraint, and a 7-point seatbelt harness system.

Thank you for the opportunity to post in this forum. Please do not hesitate to contact me for information on Frontal Head Restraints.
Gary Milgrom
gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com
Is the hybrid a hybrid of the Hutchins and HANS restraints?