S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Some questions concerning racing, costs, rewards, who does it, etc....

Old 09-26-2002, 05:30 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Scot, this car is available at a crazy cheap price. If I could afford two FC's I'd buy this car in a heartbeat. Oh yeah, it'll turn some quick lap times too.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Scot
"Galati"
Moved to the states from Italy and opened an auto repair shop in Cleveland, OH. Worked very hard and made the garage successful, then decided to go club racing. Raced for many years in SCCA Club racing (at least 8 years) winning several National championships along the way in a Miata - while continuing to run the repair shop. Moved up to World Challenge driving with Realtime, renting a ride in Touring cars. Won a championship there, and raced with Realtime for several years - while continuing to run the repair shop. Was in the right place at the right time when Audi decided to run in WC, and had the credentials and reputation to make a deal.

That's how he got where he is, there is a different story for every Pro racer you meet. The common denominators are money, time and sheer determination. I understand that you don't have the time to volunteer and work on a team because of family, that's cool. But it's an excellent way to get an inside view of how things work, along with learning about the cars and tracks. You've got to make sacrifices to get what you want, unless you are uber-rich, which most of us aren't.

In the end time=money, so yes... money is pretty much the only way to get anywhere in racing. It's a good thing that racing is so fun that it doesn't matter how far you get with a career... you'll have a blast along the way no matter what.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things also...

Scot's estimate on World Challenge Touring is a bit low... A competitive WC Touring ride is at least $120k, and can go upwards of $200k. The season estimate for T2 at $50k is much closer.

And the other thing... running an S2000 in World Challenge GT is like fighting with a wet noodle. The S2000 is so outclassed by the 911 GT3's, SC'd NSX, Fire-breathing AWD Audi and 500+ hp Z06's that it's almost embarrasing. The S2000 would make a much better fit in Touring, but unfortunately 2-seaters are excluded from Touring.

I wish the guy all the luck in the world next season in GT, and I commend him for getting out there and running - but he's got an uphill fight to say the least.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:56 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

$100k+ to have Taz Harvey finish 3rd-15th every race.... blaaa...

I like the Roger Foo story..... i think he did win one race last year in his $20k civic didn't he.?

Just like in NASCAR or any other field, there seem to be some shining stars (Galati) and then a bunch of guys who have enough $ to do it, but never seem to do all that well (kyle petty). Petty has not won a race recently (i don't follow it that much), but a new guy can pop up from no where and win 3 races in a season.

I guess honda-challege.com is the way to start for me.... low time involved, fairly low $ and I can actually still use the car for hauling lumber to my houses.... assuming i use a Hybrid.

That USTCC thing sure looks like fun but they are using pretty new cars (WRX) and entrance fees of $750.....

I agree that the S2000 has next to ZERO chance against the porsches, supercharged nsx, audi's, etc......

Scot