S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Something wrong with my suspension....

Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Something wrong with my suspension....

Hello,

I don't know if it's already too late to do anything about it, but I'll start this thread to see if you track gurus know what might have gone wrong on my car at the moment.

So my problem at the moment is, that I cannot get any more camber than -2 degrees on my passenger side. It has happened ever since I spun out big time at the Buttonwillow going 100+ MPH.

what happened was, I was going through the part where it turns left slightly after finishing Riverside, which leads to the braking point for the Lost Hills turn. On that slight left I lost control of my car and spun at speeds exceeding 100mph at least. I have a video for that moment and I'll post it up tonight after work to see if it might help you guys judge what's wrong.

(easier to understand, it is around where that Miata rolled over last time.)

It happened at such a high speed, it made my rear passenger side tire to pop out slightly, losing air. I had to re-mount the tire at the shop inside the track.

So, to the main question. What parts might have gone wrong so that it affects my alignment setup considerably?

Right now my driver's side are good enough so Kel at Evasive can have as much camber I want as possible, but passenger side, Kel could only go up to -2 without affecting too much on caster/toe.

Kel told me even he doesn't know what is wrong, and that it could be anyting from knuckle, control arm, and whatnot.

My current setup is, (car is 07 AP2)

17x9 +45 Enkei RPF1 non-staggered
Endless Zeal Super Function A Coilovers
16kg/16kg springs
J's Racing Front Camber Joints

rest of the suspension parts are stock.

(with this effed up setup it was able to clock 2:01 at BW13CW)

Car is lowered at a level so that I can safely fit 1 finger between the tire and the fender. However, Kel also told me that passenger side is slightly lower than the driver's side and this is not because I lowered the passenger side more than the driver's side on the coilover.

So the thing is,

I'd love to do it, but I don't have tons of money to spend on the whole suspension assembly to fix the problem, so I was wondering if you guys here in R&C subforum might be able to help me with some suggestions so that I can just swap out the necessary parts without replacing whole assembly.

If you guys know what might be causing the problem right now, please chime in without hesitation. I'd appreciate it big time.

Thanks in advance,

Min
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say the knuckle and it's really not that hard to see if it's bent and also easy to measure.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by macr88,May 13 2010, 10:04 AM
I'd say the knuckle and it's really not that hard to see if it's bent and also easy to measure.
thanks for the tip!

will try and see if it is the knuckle sometime during the weekend when i have time.

anyone else got any suggestions??
Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps you deformed the bushings enough to limit camber?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree with the knuckle. I had a similar problem trying to troubleshoot my suspension that the previous owner hit a curb on. I also had the excessive negative camber, and even a low ride height on that corner. It ended up being the knuckle and lower arm. The lower arm raised the ride height a bit and fixed the alignment issue a bit, but it got much better when I replaced the knuckle. It seems that the knuckle absorbs the most energy and gives more than the arms so hopefully just changing the knuckle will do it for you. If not, then the next step should be lower arm, then upper arm.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,May 15 2010, 03:50 AM
Perhaps you deformed the bushings enough to limit camber?
thanks for a suggestion.

I'd say if it was the bushing then either myself or Kel would have known while working on the car when it was lifted up.

but it's always good to double check isn't it?

Originally Posted by samsam5886,May 16 2010, 03:41 PM
I would agree with the knuckle. I had a similar problem trying to troubleshoot my suspension that the previous owner hit a curb on. I also had the excessive negative camber, and even a low ride height on that corner. It ended up being the knuckle and lower arm. The lower arm raised the ride height a bit and fixed the alignment issue a bit, but it got much better when I replaced the knuckle. It seems that the knuckle absorbs the most energy and gives more than the arms so hopefully just changing the knuckle will do it for you. If not, then the next step should be lower arm, then upper arm.
thanks!

i guess i'll buy new knuckle from Honda and replace it first and go from there.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No need to change it and go from there. It's super easy to see if it's bent, don't just change it because it could be the knuckle, look at the upper ball joint mounting point and compare it to the other side or a known good knuckle. The upper ball joint mount is usually where they bend.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM

will surely do before purchasing the knuckles.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Loosen the rear subframe bolts and reposition it back to center if the knuckles are unmolested.

Also look for spots on your control arms that rust has been knocked off, suggesting a bend.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update?