S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SPC Adjustable Ball Joint Install How-To

Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had fairly even tire wear on the track with 245/275 setup. If anything, I didn't have enough camber and was not wearing the insides much.

I don't drive enough on the street to notice, and I don't really care either since i drive so few miles, ie.... about 5K a year.

As far as I can tell handling is fine.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

How does the car handle with those cambers Rob?
Also, what wear pattern do you have on the tyres? Do you get any wear on the outer edge of the tyres?
I just had the alignment done so I don't have much time in the car. I hope to run a Summit Point Main FATT next week and I'll report back on how the car handles.

I don't drive it on the street much any more so I'm not worried about wearing the inside of the tires. With this much camber I know I'm giving up some straight line braking performance but I think the increased corner speed will make up for it.

Rob
Old 10-05-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply both Robs.

I rarely drive my car on the street as well and when I do I enjoy the safety of the extra lateral grip. This might be a bit off topic but its something that I am very indecisive. I adjust my wheel alignment for the track according to my tyre wear. It is just something that I've been brought up with and I am not sure if it's entirely correct either My tyre wear, on the track, just reach the outside edge for both front and rear. I feel that I need more corner grip for the rear. Would I automatically gain more lateral grip if I dial in more camber without increasing the tyre size?

I have not had much time to come to the track this year so I have not had a chance to test that out. Much appreciate in advance for expert advices
Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Former Moderator

Would I automatically gain more lateral grip if I dial in more camber without increasing the tyre size?
Let me start with "it depends," but Michelin says about its Sport Pilot Cup R compound tire, "Negative camber should be targeted between 1.5 and 3 degrees (with a maximum of 4 degrees) on road courses." So you probably would get additional lateral grip with more camber as long as you don't exceed 3 degrees.

Keep in mind that you will give up some straight line braking performance with additional camber.

Rob
Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by robrob,Oct 4 2007, 07:10 PM
I finally got a good alignment with the SPC camber kit. With me in the driver seat my shop was able to get:

Front
Caster 6.8 degrees
Camber -2.8 degrees
Toe 0

Rear
Camber -3.3 (no camber kit in back)
Total Toe In 36"

I have the SPC balljoints set at maximum negative camber (full in).

Rob
Rob, sorry I havent't read your write up in detail, but you should be able to easily get more camber than that, like more than -6*. At mid setting I got around -3*. Are you sure you didn't install them backwards? Others have made this mistake. You want the offset oriented so the top of the wheel can go further in than out.

Also, I'd add that you should be very careful when torquing the nut so you dont't strip it on the outside , as it is a very flat nut.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Former Moderator

rlaifatt,

I didn't try for max camber in the front. With a stock setting of -1 degrees of camber I had -3.2 degrees after the SPC install. Using the stock adjusters I could have added more camber but I only wanted -2.8 up front (1/2 degree less than in the rear). Michelin recommends -1.5 to -3 degrees for the Sport Pilot Cup tire anyway.

I'm sure I didn't install the SPC ball joints backwards (which would be for adding positive camber for the totally slammed S2000). Also, SPC describes the ball joint as good for +- 1.5 degrees (see the SPC install instructions posted on the How To web page).

I'll add a warning about rounding off the top nut.

Rob
Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Former Moderator

I drove the car for about 20 miles today on twisty back roads. The car handles well and is surprisingly stable. The extra caster seems to add more steering center feel. I'll give you guys more feedback after I get the car on the track.

Rob
Old 10-06-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by robrob,Oct 6 2007, 02:42 PM
rlaifatt,

I didn't try for max camber in the front. With a stock setting of -1 degrees of camber I had -3.2 degrees after the SPC install. Using the stock adjusters I could have added more camber but I only wanted -2.8 up front (1/2 degree less than in the rear). Michelin recommends -1.5 to -3 degrees for the Sport Pilot Cup tire anyway.

I'm sure I didn't install the SPC ball joints backwards (which would be for adding positive camber for the totally slammed S2000). Also, SPC describes the ball joint as good for +- 1.5 degrees (see the SPC install instructions posted on the How To web page).

I'll add a warning about rounding off the top nut.

Rob
Rob, I only responded because in the last line you said you had the SPC set for max neg. camber (full in), yet you also said you had -2.8* camber, so it sounded like that that's the max. you could get. The SPC's on the S2000 can easily give way more than -3*, probably -6* or more. Doesn't matter anyway if you only want -2.8* and you got it.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone that's installed these had any problems with contact in the wheel well from compression?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Former Moderator

you said you had the SPC set for max neg. camber (full in), yet you also said you had -2.8* camber, so it sounded like that that's the max. you could get.
rlaifatt,

I have the SPC ball joints set for max negative camber, but the stock adjusters aren't anywhere near max. With my setup you can get more caster. The more negative camber you set with the stock adjusters the less caster you can get because they both move the lower control arm.

Rob

Quick Reply: SPC Adjustable Ball Joint Install How-To