S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip

Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I know the diffusers on the trailing edges of the splitter function, I'm just talking about the little kicked-up lip in the middle of the front edge. Seems like it just packs extra air the car, like the opposite of an air dam. But if it works, why not use it across the entire front span of the splitter?
Old 01-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm going to guess there is an underbody tunnel and that feeds it, I'll see if I can find more pics from that car
Old 02-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss
Air jacks. Kidding... Kinda..
any one have tech write up on how air jacks work? can't find much information on it, and huge price difference between different vendors.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Found this on the internets. You'll note the two smaller outer diffusers, but the inner two are huge.

what car is this from?
would be interesting to see a side view to see the height different of those 2 diffusers.

i wonder what those square cut outs are for.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

This came out today, there is some good info, he says the simple diffusers can double or triple front downforce.

I modeled up my splitter in case anyone wants a cheat sheet to start from. The front blade curve is not to proper shape because I was too lazy to measure multiple points, so the arc is just a three point based on the center measurement and the side measurements.

The front blade curve is not to proper shape because I was too lazy to measure multiple points, so the arc is just a three point based on the center measurement and the side measurements.
This is what it looks like - 15/32" Birch

Main supports are DevSport mounts with a locating hole drilled. Side supports are some eyelets run up to a piece of aluminum bolted on over the front bumper supports under the headlights. Splitter sits an inch under the front bumper height, this:
Amazon Amazon
is used as an airdam to cover the gap between the splitter and the bumper. I seal the airdam to the bumper with a strip of duct tape, not that it really needs it. Bolts coming from the top can bolt into T-Nuts, bolts coming from the bottom should be elevator bolts. AP1 bumper fake duct cutouts are covered with aluminum sheet and some tape for now.

Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip-9u3hg3gh.jpg
Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip-xgmfxqth.jpg
Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip-oyhprpxh.jpg
Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip-s3jstgzh.jpg

Improvements for the future involve maybe getting around to testing the diffusers, adding a couple supports in the rear of the splitter so I can pull it up and create some diffusing action, maybe 3d printing some angled shims for the DevSport brackets to get specific splitter angles, and definitely trying some sort of spats to cover the tire frontal profile.

Last edited by Chibo; 03-10-2019 at 03:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chibo:
s2000ellier (03-10-2019), thomsbrain (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

So, i'm full of all sorts of good ideas on paper, and I am king of shitty execution... Got two of these printed at work. I vinyl wrapped everything for a "smoother" finish and lead into the elements. It's pretty awful execution, but hopefully the downforce is enough to overcome all of the extra drag that i've added (and net me a reduction in laptimes).

I'm going to get to test this at Chuckwalla - back to back testing - with and without splitter elements. Last time out, first week of February was a 2:03.2.
The difference will be fresh NT-01 versus 1-track day NT-01s - and the splitter elements below. I'll be going next week. I will also have ST42 brake pads on the rear versus ST43 (had a sticky caliper that wore out my left rear super fast - got a caliper on overnight order on the way...).

On to the pictures.

Last edited by Bullwings; 03-10-2019 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thomsbrain (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You might want to look at the Flo Vis thread before your tests. It would be interesting how some of the protrusions (the support and the edge of the diffuser) affect airflow.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
You might want to look at the Flo Vis thread before your tests. It would be interesting how some of the protrusions (the support and the edge of the diffuser) affect airflow.
I'm too dumb to interpret what any of that means and make any useful changes following my observations. Also, I don't want to have to deal with trying to clean all of that shit off of my control arms and other suspension components, so, no thanks.

Or, was your intended message for me to sell my S2k and buy this https://www.racingjunk.com/GT/183076...&from=search#5?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I think what he was trying to say if i understood correctly was to countersink your diffusor. The bump or little lip from the mounting face and tape is going to cause air seperation which will negatively impact the functionality of the diffusor. Your diffusors also have a pretty steep curve. Mellowing them out may also aid in keeping the airflow attached and achieving better results. Either wayits great to see the diy project
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Yeah. I knew what he was saying. Anyway, counter sinking into wood takes a lot more expertise than I have. So, I just added more material to the splitter in the form of ABS sheets, to give a smoother lead in into the ducts.

I tested it out yesterday at chuckwalla, in much warmer weather, with a lot more traffic (excuses), and didn't make up any time versus my last time out. However, I definitely will note an increase in downforce up front. The back end would wash out before the front mid to corner exit at medium to higher speed turns. I dialed in a bunch of extra angle into my GTC-200 that has risers and extra large end plates - I don't think it produces enough downforce, and now i'm just making a ton of drag. I'll likely have to upgrade to a larger wing to really make the best use of this splitter. I'm looking at a GTC-250 wing. In any case, it definitely makes more downforce.

Quick Reply: Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip