S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Square tire setup for autocross

Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Square tire setup for autocross

It's time to start thinking about racing and autocross.

My two year old staggered setup V710s are all used up, and it's time to get new tires for autocross.

I found myself stuck between either pushing (with a somewhat stiff sway bar setting), or having rear wheel spin (with one setting less stiff) with the 245/275 staggered setup.

And I had some rubbing on my front left with 245s so I'm not heavily inclined to go to 275s all around. The added rotating mass is also a consideration.

I have the Gendron medium-stiffness front sway bar.

Would 245s all around, with that bar, be a reasonable setup? I'm a decent autocrosser, but not threatening to trophy at nationals any time soon.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

245 all around is a quite reasonable setup. I have used both Hoosiers and Kumhos with that setup. You may want to go stiffer on the front swaybar. I have the Gendron 1.25" solid bar and set it full stiff when I ran the 245x4 setup. It was also full stiff for the 245/275 setup, just to keep wheel spin in check. Rear toe was set to zero to help neutralize the handling balance in all cases above.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks, John. I like that answer.

What size 245s do your recommend, and what brand?

And is it likely enough that my medium-stiff Gendron bar is inadequate, that it would make sense proactively to buy a new one? And, if so, what's the right one to get (given the difficulty of adjusting my three year old Gendron bar quickly)?

Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM

245/40-17 is what I used, I think taller would rub in front. If you're going to spend the money on DOT-Rs, you might as well splurge for the Hoosiers, especially in the frigid northwest. The Kumhos are pretty good -- I beat Joey on them once last year -- but I think the Hoosiers are just slightly better.

As for the bar, I can't say with confidence whether the hollow 1.25" bar will keep the rear end behind you. The only setup I ever ran was with the 1.25" solid bar set to full stiff. You might be able to get away with the hollow bar if you toed in the rear wheels a bit. You can probably buy a new solid center section directly from Speedway if you can figure out the correct length.

A lot of people have gone up to the 1-5/16" solid bar that Bill has custom made, although most of them have AP1s and really need it to kill the wheelspin.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Hey Mark, if you decide to part with your gendron bar I'll pick it up.

I was thinking going square soon and will eventually (if not already) need a stiffer front bar.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 AM

I have found the "medium-stiff" hollow bar to be more than adequate for the 245/275 setup. I think more important than rear tire size (as there is only one real option up front) is your alignment and the surface you typically run on. I am toed in 1/16" in the back and run on sticky concrete most of the year.

Definitely go with the Hoosiers.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by BowlofRice,Feb 8 2011, 10:00 AM
Hey Mark, if you decide to part with your gendron bar I'll pick it up.

I was thinking going square soon and will eventually (if not already) need a stiffer front bar.
I have put in an order for an Ankeny bar, so I expect to be swapping the Gendron out in a few weeks. It's yours, if we can agree on a price.

I expect that I will have the bar, the end links, and a number of brackets (always good to have an extra on hand; ask me how I know).
Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Feb 7 2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks, John. I like that answer.

What size 245s do your recommend, and what brand?

And is it likely enough that my medium-stiff Gendron bar is inadequate, that it would make sense proactively to buy a new one? And, if so, what's the right one to get (given the difficulty of adjusting my three year old Gendron bar quickly)?

Thanks.

Mark
Careful with your decision. The Ankeny bar creates some weird steering feedback/front end stability when compared to the Gendron. I recommend the 1.375" bar. You can always get a new center section. Maybe you will like the Ankeny though. Jadrice switched back to the Gendron on his CR because of this. Between the two of us, we have tried the Comptech (v2), Saner, Gendron, and Ankeny. The Gendron with the updated mounts is the way to go IMO. Nothing against the other bars, just feel the Gendron is the best bar for my preference.

-Marc
Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by sirbunz,Feb 11 2011, 10:18 AM
Careful with your decision. The Ankeny bar creates some weird steering feedback/front end stability when compared to the Gendron. I recommend the 1.375" bar. You can always get a new center section. Maybe you will like the Ankeny though. Jadrice switched back to the Gendron on his CR because of this. Between the two of us, we have tried the Comptech (v2), Saner, Gendron, and Ankeny. The Gendron with the updated mounts is the way to go IMO. Nothing against the other bars, just feel the Gendron is the best bar for my preference.

-Marc
Thanks, Marc. I have grown a bit weary of my Gendron. A bracket died in the midst of an NT (I know there's now a new bracket; it's about time, IMO), and it has become annoying to change the settings. So I thought I'd give the Ankeny a shot. If I don't like it, I'll go back to a stiffer Gendron, I guess, but I think that the ease of changing settings on the Ankeny, along with his recent design changes, make it attractive (even at that price).
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM

@marc: just out of curiousity.. how does the Comptech V2 compare with the gendron?

Quick Reply: Square tire setup for autocross