S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Stock seats be modded to fit a 5/6 pt harness?

Old 06-29-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Stock seats be modded to fit a 5/6 pt harness?

I am planning to get a roll bar soon in the S as I am tracking my car more and more. I wanted to get a seat that would fit in the car without removing any of the interior. However seats like the spg, and those of similar size do not fit me. I was thinking of trying to find someone that could mod the stock seats to fit a 5/6 pt harness.

Can this be done and will it be safe? If not, any other recommendations for seats made for larger people that would fit in the S without removal or minimal removal of the interior would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 PM

I run a 6-pt with my stock seat, but I don't feel it's very safe. I run the crotch straps under my ass and out the back of the seat to the lap belt mounting points. I am also looking for a seat that'll accomodate a 38-40" waist. Whatever Rylan's using should be fine for us. That whale has gotta be at least 400lbs.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, running the sub belts that way defeats the purpose of the sub belt which is to prevent the lap belt from riding up into your belly. I almost think over the front of the seat would be better to the two front seat bolts but, even that's supposed to be a bad idea.

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Competit...nstructions.pdf

My sparco Evo's have holes right about nad positon for the sub belts to come through.

How to you keep the shoulder harnesses from spreading over the seat back?

Old 06-29-2006, 09:01 PM

cant you make a bracket to mount the sub belts to?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ek9,Jun 29 2006, 07:04 PM
I almost think over the front of the seat would be better to the two front seat bolts but, even that's supposed to be a bad idea.
Of course it is a bad idea. In a crash, the front cushion of the seat would compress so much it would be useless.

If you want to, cut a slit in the bottom of the seat and run the straps up through it. But I wouldn't recommend using a stock seat with harnesses anyway. Find a race seat that fits you and the car.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by payneinthe,Jun 29 2006, 04:03 PM
I run a 6-pt with my stock seat, but I don't feel it's very safe. I run the crotch straps under my ass and out the back of the seat to the lap belt mounting points. I am also looking for a seat that'll accomodate a 38-40" waist. Whatever Rylan's using should be fine for us. That whale has gotta be at least 400lbs.
I know Rylan using the SPG XL's. I know I fit those because I have sat in his seat before. However I do not think those seats would fit in the S with the interior still in there. Are there any other seats that might fit a larger person without removing the interior?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternatively you could cut off part of the shoulder wings of the seat as necessary for fitment. I've seen that done (and it was mainly a street car!).
Old 06-29-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=BerlinaBayRidah,Jun 29 2006, 11:26 PM] I know Rylan using the SPG XL's.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM

I think I would rather mod the interior to fit the seat, rather than to sacrafice lateral support on the seat. Has anyone cut the interior panels to fit seats?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jun 29 2006, 10:34 PM
What parts of the interior? Is it the shoulder wings that cause the problem?

Does the SPG XL fit in the same seat rails as the SPG?
I'm not quite sure as rylan's car is stripped, but I'm pretty sure the door panels and glove/secret comparment would have to go. I'm not sure if the XL's will fit the same rails.

Quick Reply: Stock seats be modded to fit a 5/6 pt harness?