S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - ECU and Tuning Discusson

Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how i missed that one! Thanks that looks nice and clean. I rotated my ECU just as you have it based on another post i saw a while back. Now I know where my issue is. I am using the front most bottom bolt (closer to engine) as opposed to the rear most bottom bolt (closer to door) like you have shown. I like how you looped the wires under the factory ECU that makes sense, but i think you have to be careful not to pinch any when screwing it down. Looks like you used a bolt for the kick panel closest to the pedal. Remember the size bolt by chance? Are you using any vibration isolators? I have a piece of foam copper pipe wrap under my ECU now since i am only attached by 1 bolt. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Aristoi
Not sure how i missed that one! Thanks that looks nice and clean. I rotated my ECU just as you have it based on another post i saw a while back. Now I know where my issue is. I am using the front most bottom bolt (closer to engine) as opposed to the rear most bottom bolt (closer to door) like you have shown. I like how you looped the wires under the factory ECU that makes sense, but i think you have to be careful not to pinch any when screwing it down. Looks like you used a bolt for the kick panel closest to the pedal. Remember the size bolt by chance? Are you using any vibration isolators? I have a piece of foam copper pipe wrap under my ECU now since i am only attached by 1 bolt. Thanks!
Fitting the wires in that orientation is a bit of a stretch with the Greddy harness, but I haven't had any issues with it. They are pulled pretty tight, though.

I think it was an M8x1.25mm X 15mm long that I had laying around. I did it a while back...so, I don't remember if I needed to run a drill bit through the hole. Seems like it fit in with a bit of elbow grease. I think Rob posted an image of the rubber tab cover being installed in the upper forward location of the ECU locating bracket.

I am not using any vibration isolators, as the ECU was not isolated from the factory.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Pulled my harness because of some erratic idling issues, which gave me a chance to 100% inspect my harness and create the above diagram for the AP1 & EMU. Waiting on some feedback before I post it. I did, however, find out that my harness is, in fact, modified. The modifications are related to the VTM circuit, but I am unsure how it was originally configured. My guess is that off-the-shelf Greddy harnesses are not capable of modifying VTEC without getting a CEL.

I did not find any other issues, other than a strange grounding configuration. This is documented (from my harness) and will be posted in the next day or two.

All of this pinout & harness documentation has me eyeballing a spare Megasquirt2 Extra that I have laying around. Word on the street is that the MS2X and MS3X firmware is now compatible with the S2k crank/cam signal.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Here's my attempt at recreating the above wiring diagram for the EMU. I pulled my Greddy harness and traced the lines in order to document where they were connecting. As I mentioned above, I found that my harness had been modified to send the VTM signal to the ECU. I have not encountered any EMU related CELs, once I figured out the harness was configured to use a synthesized TPS signal.

Please review and provide feedback. I started the process by generating a wiring diagram prior to reviewing my Greddy harness. It was very similar, but the use of the "logic ground" connection was definitely one area where I disagreed. I need to research how logic grounds work...

Enjoy!

Name:  S2K-AP1-EMU-GREDDY-DIAGRAM.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  179.6 KB
Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 AM

Beautiful piece of work!!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nmrado - Thats pretty awesome that you took the time to do this, sir!

Regarding VAFC vs rest for the AP1 - Since I am not an aggressive STR guy, I cannot justify dropping money on the E-Manage/Haltech solution for my AP1. I keep leaning towards the VAFC solution to drop VTEC some, but I keep reading how tuning it with one is unsafe as its incomplete. I think Gernby commented somewhere about the inherent issues of tuning the AP1 with VAFC because it does not address timing or something...

Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by JBAutosports
nmrado - Thats pretty awesome that you took the time to do this, sir!

Regarding VAFC vs rest for the AP1 - Since I am not an aggressive STR guy, I cannot justify dropping money on the E-Manage/Haltech solution for my AP1. I keep leaning towards the VAFC solution to drop VTEC some, but I keep reading how tuning it with one is unsafe as its incomplete. I think Gernby commented somewhere about the inherent issues of tuning the AP1 with VAFC because it does not address timing or something...
What Haltech solution?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Haltech Sport 1000. Look on top, a banner appears every now and then from Evans Tuning!

EDIT - Unless its not STR legal. I assumed it was...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JBAutosports
Haltech Sport 1000. Look on top, a banner appears every now and then from Evans Tuning!
That is not STR legal, it's a full standalone.
If it were us AP1/AP2v1 owners would be ALL over it.

Edit: Let me clarify what I wrote.

From my understanding it is not STR legal if used as a standalone. It can be(but not 100% without issues) be configured as a piggyback, which would make it STR legal, and is the solution that Evans-Tuning had started to test, but unfortunately it throws random CEL codes making it a bit risky to run.

Last I heard, I was at Evans shop yesterday, they MAY BE looking to return to testing the Sport 500/1000 + OEM ECU solution this upcoming winter, time permitting. Apparently they continue to receive inquiries on that configuration. Apparently this project was brought up in a conversation a week or two ago. That tells me that this solution isn't completely dead in the water yet!

So with that said, if you haven't already reached out to Evans Tuning regarding that possible solution, you should take a minute and reach out. The more interests they see the better the chances of them trying to finally get it to work, I would imagine. I express yesterday while onsite that there'd be a bunch of interests from STR alone.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Figured as much...I don't know much about ECU solutions other than there is nothing good for AP1's on a budget. KPro, EManage etc are all hard to justify. Its either V-AFC or finding a spoon/mugen ECU which are overpriced and no guarantee there. I know the megasquirt guys posted up about possibly working on a solution, didn't they?

Quick Reply: STR Prep - ECU and Tuning Discusson