S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track events and insurance

Old 08-26-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track events and insurance

Folks, I dug around a bit in the forums and couldnt find what I was looking for. Have any body had any problems with insurance when going to a track event? I am thinking of going to TWS in Dallas in october, and so am curious about your opinions. I have Gieco btw (just in case anyone knows about that in particular).
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of an insurance company covering track events. I know that with State Farm, any organized competitive speed event is excluded from coverage.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:06 AM

I should have been clearer - I didnt mean a timed, competetive event. It is a "drivers education" event, organized by drivers edge (http://www.thedriversedge.net/)
So, it is a non-competitive, non-timed event.
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 26 2005, 10:50 PM
I've never heard of an insurance company covering track events. I know that with State Farm, any organized competitive speed event is excluded from coverage.
a track event isn't a competitive event it's drivers education.

If you're doing wheel 2 wheel racing that's one things but a HPDE isn't a competitive event. State farm has covered incidents from HPDEs in the past.

This is probably best in racing and comp they have more experience.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moving to Racing and Comp for more feedback.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:18 PM

All policies have a racing exclusion, usually defined as a speed contest or timed event. I have personally seen motorcycle crashes at Laguna Seca covered because the rider said it was a "school" vs. a "track day" so it really depends. Also though we did put liability on the other rider for an unsafe lane change....yeah...go figure, unsafe lane change on the track? It should be covered with the bigger companies if something did happen on track. If you're worried you can always say you stuffed it on the freeway and didn't bother to call the cops so there is no report
Old 08-29-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Insurance fraud is bad. Be very careful about lying to your insurance co.

2) Some insurance co.s cover HPDE events, others don't. I don't know about GEICO for sure, but I think they may be among the "don't" group. You will have to check into the details of your own policy.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I know for a fact, from experience , that Allstate DOES NOT COVER HPDE! Their policy says that anything at a race track is not covered. Actually, the way it is worded makes it sound like they won't even cover me if I get into a fender-bender in the parking lot of a race track. This clause was added to their policy about a year ago.

Call up your insurance company and find out.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:48 AM

Thanks a lot for the responses folks.

btw, I checked with Geico, and they said they dont cover it - timed or otherwise, anything that happens on a track is not covered...

Damn! Now I guess I have to either move away from Geico or risk it...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 AM

when you go track you are not racing anybody. yes, accident do happen. drive smart and if someone follow you too close to a point, let them pass you. there are many ways to avoid accident on track.

but if you are talking about real racing on track, that is totally different story

Quick Reply: Track events and insurance