S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track tire life?

Old 02-09-2002, 01:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Track tire life?

I am not real experienced with track tire life (ditched my previous A032
Old 02-09-2002, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might get through an autocross with those but not a whole weekend track event.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by TypeSH
You might get through an autocross with those but not a whole weekend track event.
Damn, I was afraid you might say that! So you are telling me that there is not much left to a Kumho once the grooves are gone? ~200 laps at TWS is it? This is going to be more expensive than I thought!
Old 02-09-2002, 04:02 PM

It all depends on if you want to drive home with cords showing. If you had street tires along also, I would say go for it.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:07 PM

I can't tell from the picture exactly how worn that tire is but you still have some life on Kumhos after the little grooves are gone. Once the main two grooves are gone the tires are shot. I know I could not make it through a whole weekend on pretty worn Kumhos.

On my Prelude the right front always wears the fastest at TWS. On the S2000 the right rear will always wear the fastest there. Now on the Prelude I have it easier than the S2000 because I can rotate the worn fronts to the rear and they will still last a while. I also carry two sets of tires per event. That way I can take a set that is almost gone, finish them off, and move on to the new ones. Don't you also drive your Kumhos to and from the track? If so I would be worried that you might cord one and drive on it 200 miles back to Dallas
Old 02-09-2002, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris - Here's a link to a similar thread that I posted last December https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...highlight=Kumho

Here's the photo of the tires that I DID use at one more track event (the photo is from before the event). They worked fine, and my guess is that there is still an autocross or two left in them, but I had street tires to drive home on. HTH
Old 02-10-2002, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TypeSH
[B]I can't tell from the picture exactly how worn that tire is but you still have some life on Kumhos after the little grooves are gone. Once the main two grooves are gone the tires are shot. I know I could not make it through a whole weekend on pretty worn Kumhos.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:56 AM

CDelana,

The V700s are non directional... Even tho they have directional arrows printed on them...
They do however have an outward facing side and an inward facing side. So rotating the rears should be no problem.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE]CDelana,
Old 02-10-2002, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by davepk
CDelana,

The V700s are non directional... Even tho they have directional arrows printed on them...
They do however have an outward facing side and an inward facing side. So rotating the rears should be no problem.
Yeah I was aware that the markings are not important.. I was more concerned about changing the direction after they have already been run in.

I'll get new rear tires and thought I might even the wear on the front by just swapping sides.

Quick Reply: Track tire life?