S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Video of Paddle Shifted S2000

Old 02-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Video of Paddle Shifted S2000

I thought this was interesting:

These two articles explain some of the complexities. They assume a dog-gear, sequential transmission in contrast with the dual-clutch synchronized or planetary-gear transmissions used in current production car paddle shift systems.

Exploding the myths about shift times: http://www.geartronics.co.uk/shift_times.htm​

The reality of clutchless auto-blip downshifts: http://www.geartronics.co.uk/blippers.htm
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I thought this was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EojOhUg5UJg

These two articles explain some of the complexities. They assume a dog-gear, sequential transmission in contrast with the dual-clutch synchronized or planetary-gear transmissions used in current production car paddle shift systems.

Exploding the myths about shift times: http://www.geartronics.co.uk/shift_times.htm​

The reality of clutchless auto-blip downshifts: Geartronics - Exploding the myths regarding shift times!
I'm going to assume this is on the quaife seqential
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
I'm going to assume this is on the quaife seqential
It is.

Geartronics stuff doesn't work on H-pattern shifters.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:38 AM

There are quite a few sequentials that use the Geartronics: Sadev, Samsonas, Albins, Hewland, etc. in addition to Quaife. Quaife does sell a ready to go set up for the S2000 including input shaft and bellhousing. Hewland sells their own paddle shift control, Motec has version of their ECU that support paddles, but the paddles, air pump, air tank, and actuator are separate. Geartronics also has a version for rally cars that mounts on the side of the steering column and shifts with either forward or back pushes.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Driven
It is.

Geartronics stuff doesn't work on H-pattern shifters.
oooff $11,000 for the trans.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 PM

oooff $11,000 for the trans.
I think it is a bit over $14k for the transmission, plus $4k for the Geartronic paddle shifters. The Motec GPRP firmware and the paddle shifter kit would be closer to $5k, in addition to the M130 ECU itself. Add the time to wire and plumb the setup including fabricating brackets. When the dust settles, a paddle shifted, sequential, dog gear, straight cut transmission is probably $20k. Someone did sell a complete used one for £7000, about $10k...undoubtedly plus shipping.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:59 AM

I think it is a bit over $14k for the transmission, plus $4k for the Geartronic paddle shifters. The Motec GPRP firmware and the paddle shifter kit would be closer to $5k, in addition to the M130 ECU itself. Add the time to wire and plumb the setup including fabricating brackets. When the dust settles, a paddle shifted, sequential, dog gear, straight cut transmission is probably $20k. Someone did sell a complete used one for £7000, about $10k...undoubtedly plus shipping.

at $20+k, sell the car, buy a used Cayman with a PDK for the same amount of money. 7950 converted to USD was about $11k. Need the british pound to drop a bit more.... like half, before I'd consider. I'd love to stick one in the K motor car, Did the math on all the gearing yesterday. But I'm done sinking 5 figure mods in this car. 3 figure only from here on out.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 02-06-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:08 AM

Or sell the car, buy a used Cayman with a PDK for the same amount of money. 7950 converted to USD was about $11k. Need the British pound to drop a bit more.... like half, before I'd consider.
PDK is a dual-clutch manual...a different type of transmission. This is a dog gear transmission with straight cut gears; the DCT is a synchro transmission with helical gears. For example, the AMG GT/S/C/R models in all the road tests have a DCT transmission. No one would use straight cut gears and few would use dog gears (there is only one Fiat not available in the US) for a production street vehicle. However, the AMG GT GT3/GT4 models, sold as complete racing cars, have a sequential, spur gear, dog gear engagement transmission with paddle shifters. Ditto the Porsche track GT3R, etc.

For street use, the Porsche would be better for a lot of reasons. As a dedicated race car, it's probably less expensive to run an S2000...just the F-series/K-series motor costs vs. a Porsche-anything would be a huge difference.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:03 AM

PDK is a dual-clutch manual...a different type of transmission. This is a dog gear transmission with straight cut gears; the DCT is a synchro transmission with helical gears. For example, the AMG GT/S/C/R models in all the road tests have a DCT transmission. No one would use straight cut gears and few would use dog gears (there is only one Fiat not available in the US) for a production street vehicle. However, the AMG GT GT3/GT4 models, sold as complete racing cars, have a sequential, spur gear, dog gear engagement transmission with paddle shifters. Ditto the Porsche track GT3R, etc.

For street use, the Porsche would be better for a lot of reasons. As a dedicated race car, it's probably less expensive to run an S2000...just the F-series/K-series motor costs vs. a Porsche-anything would be a huge difference.
You'd get an extended warranty on the porsche lol.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

at $20+k, sell the car, buy a used Cayman with a PDK for the same amount of money. 7950 converted to USD was about $11k.
This. you can get a gen-1 Cayman for less than $20k, have them pull the motor and do the IMS upgrade and still have spare cash on the side to buy some JRZs and have yourself an awesome track car with paddle shifters from the factory.

Quick Reply: Video of Paddle Shifted S2000