S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

want better turn in

Old 10-30-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thank you all for your input so far.

so let me summarise and see that i got it correctly.

1. front toe - should be set to 0
2. what about front camber? 2 1/4 enough? (rear is 2)
3. front dampers setting change? stiffer or softer?
4. rear toe in reduced to 1-2 mm total
5. softer front springs

tyres ....... are tyres. will put something else after they're done. anyway i put high pressure and i hope it helps.

caster... i hate heavy steering so dial caster a bit down...
Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You left off softening your front shock settings (free and easy) and better tires. If you do go for new tires consider new non-staggered wheels--really helps the front end push.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc
. . . caster... i hate heavy steering so dial caster a bit down . . .
Again with the S2000s electric power steering you can run more caster (i.e. 7+) be faster and not have heavy steering.

From Grassroots Motorsports magazine Pointed the Right Way, by John Hagerman:
The tilted steering axis has another important effect on suspension geometry. Since the wheel rotates about a tilted axis, the wheel gains camber as it is turned. This effect is best visualized by imagining the unrealistically extreme case where the steering axis would be horizontal-as the steering wheel is turned, the road wheel would simply change camber rather than direction. This effect causes the outside wheel in a turn to gain negative camber, while the inside wheel gains positive camber.

Increasing camber, angles one wheel the wrong way in a turn, increasing caster, angles both wheels the correct way.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1319986878' post='21113666
You have 5mm total rear toe? That's a lot
Knock it down to 1-2mm total. That should provide a noticeable improvement in turn-in.
In my experience, too much rear toe sucks, for everything.
i remembere you'd recommended 0.2-0.3 degr.
my calculation was that 5 mm is ~0.25 degr.
so how much is it?
5mm is 5/25.4 = .197"
tire diameter ~25"
Total toe angle = sin-1(.197"/25") = 0.45 degrees.

I generally recommend 0.2 - 0.3 degrees to the masses. To a track hound specifically looking for improved turn-in, 0.1 - 0.2 degrees is a more appropriate range. 1mm = .09deg, 2mm = .18deg.

Try it, you'll like it
Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TTMartin
Originally Posted by Croc' timestamp='1320007994' post='21114142
. . . caster... i hate heavy steering so dial caster a bit down . . .
Again with the S2000s electric power steering you can run more caster (i.e. 7+) be faster and not have heavy steering.
IMO, it's not a foregone conclusion that 7 degrees + is "faster".

From Grassroots Motorsports magazine Pointed the Right Way, by John Hagerman:
The tilted steering axis has another important effect on suspension geometry. Since the wheel rotates about a tilted axis, the wheel gains camber as it is turned. This effect is best visualized by imagining the unrealistically extreme case where the steering axis would be horizontal-as the steering wheel is turned, the road wheel would simply change camber rather than direction. This effect causes the outside wheel in a turn to gain negative camber, while the inside wheel gains positive camber.

Increasing camber, angles one wheel the wrong way in a turn, increasing caster, angles both wheels the correct way.
This effect will of course be reduced for medium and higher speed corners where steering angle is small. If you want more turn-in for lower-speed corners but not necessarily for higher-speed corners, maybe...

But 7deg seems excessive to me. Personally I've always preferred much smaller caster numbers, I think that more/more/more caster might be overrated for road course work. For autoX there may be big benefits, including weight-jacking effects. 2 cents...
Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stiffer front springs or swaybars, and more compression forces are the tried and true ways to increase turn in, assuming you are coming from the soft side of things.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You still need to answer if its a grip issue (having understeer) or a feel issue (sluggish response)... you treat these conditions in very different manors... Also from what I have heard, R1R's like VERY low tire pressure, so if its a grip issue, less pressure will likely help.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm after immidiate turn in.

currently handling is quite neutral but turn in is not fast as i would like it to be.

anything i can do with allingment to improve it?

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252
You still need to answer if its a grip issue (having understeer) or a feel issue (sluggish response)... you treat these conditions in very different manors... Also from what I have heard, R1R's like VERY low tire pressure, so if its a grip issue, less pressure will likely help.
To me it looks like an entry issue not a grip issue.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Originally Posted by Croc' timestamp='1319917477' post='21112508
i'm after immidiate turn in.

currently handling is quite neutral but turn in is not fast as i would like it to be.

anything i can do with allingment to improve it?

To me it looks like an entry issue not a grip issue.
Reading Comprehension > me... lol... Best bet is tires or going to 0 front toe IMHO then
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading Comprehension > me... lol... Best bet is tires or going to 0 front toe IMHO then
I'm pretty sure we've all done it one time or another

Quick Reply: want better turn in