S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wheel bearing problem in left rear?

Old 06-18-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing problem in left rear?

Driving home last night I heard a creaking noise from the left rear at low speed in rhythm with the rotating wheel, especially when rolling to a stop, even while rolling in neutral. I recall hearing even louder noises after the last couple sessions at the last track event but thought then it was hot brakes, tires might be rubbing etc. I just jacked up the rear and checked for play in the wheels, and definitely there is some loose play in the left rear, and none in the right rear. I have only 12,000 miles on the car, but a lot of track miles. Interesting that it is only on one side too.

Is this likely to be the bearings, and if so should I be replaing more than just the bearings, one side or both, or could it be the spindle nut need tightening (read something about an axel nut TSB but couldn't find it)? Any advice appreciated.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had 3 of 4 wheel bearings replaced on my old S2000....

this sounds like a wheel bearing, although i liken it to a cyclical "whine/grind/howl". and yes, it happens individually.

as they are changing the bearing(s), ask them to tighten everything in there.

you'll be all set.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard,

Replace the bearing and the hub. Do it soon. As the play increases you run the risk of the hub failing and/or the ABS cog being damaged.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:15 AM

Thanks guys, I'll get the bearings and hub replaced. Will be a challenge to get it done before Fontana.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen on the same wheel on my MY2000 but it was just a month after I had the bearing replaced. I was going up to a weekend DE event at TWS in College Station and was pissed that the bearing may have failed again! So I started out by running a couple of sessions and the noise was much worse when the wheel/brake got hot. The car was handling great.

One of the other Houstooks, Rudy (who owns a repair shop), was up at TWS with me that weekend. He didn't think it sounded like a bearing, especially since I had just replaced that one. So he just "injected" some WD40 under the nut at the end of the spindle. At the end of the weekend (I ran 4 out of the 8 sessions) the noise was less. Then a day later the noise stopped and hasn't returned for two weeks. Rudy thinks its was a spacer in the hub that expands when hot and rubs. The WD40 provided enough lubrication to stop the noise. Go figure!

Try it, it might work.

Jack
Old 06-18-2004, 11:35 AM

Jack, thanks for the info. In my case, since I can feel that there is play in that wheel and not in the other, I will go ahead and replace the hub and bearing. Safety is my main consideration and motivation to do so, as I'll be going to a high speed track next.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good move Richard. I had a similar situation happen to me and my suspension guy tightened the axle nut somewhat which made the noise go away. A week or two later at Thill my axle snapped on track. So better safe than sorry.....
Old 06-18-2004, 02:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
Good move Richard.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Just curious, but if you haven't taken it apart yet, why are you planning on replacing the hub? On other cars I just press out the old and press in the new. Are they a one use hub or something?
Old 06-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's possible to do that. Many times in this car by the time you find the problem the hub is damaged as well as the bearing.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing problem in left rear?