S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Why a Containment Seat is Needed

Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Why a Containment Seat is Needed

This looks like a vintage event. A really old Porsche 911S and a even older Alfa GTV coupe. No more serious than an HPDE event. The Porsche had belts and a roll bar.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow that was a very scary hit, that driver is massively lucky regardless of what safety equipment he did or did not have!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That just stressed me out. Videos like this is why I spent $4500 bucks on safety equipment before adding one performance mod to my S. the rollbar, seats, harnesses, hand and 6 point are well worth the cost.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't imagine why he stayed sitting on course, facing backwards on the outside of a fast turn. I'd have put it in gear and driven it off course with the starter if I couldn't get it running. If nothing else worked I'd have gotten out of it and gotten myself off track.

That said I agree we should all evaluate our safety equipment, as there's is more knowledge and much better equipment out there these days.
The following users liked this post:
SkiLLeDS2000 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson
I can't imagine why he stayed sitting on course, facing backward on the outside of a fast turn. I'd have put it in gear and driven it off course with the starter if I couldn't get it running. If nothing else worked I'd have gotten out of it and gotten myself off track.

That said I agree we should all evaluate our safety equipment, as there's is more knowledge and much better equipment out there these days.
If he had been loosening his belts he'd be dead. There should have been a yellow flag but wasn't. At least 2 serious Spec Racer Ford accidents in the past 5 months have been do to flagging or marshaling errors.

He had a rollbar, belts, HANS device, and helmet. He didn't have a cage or a containment seat. His head snapped to the side because he lacked a containment seat. A HANS device works in 1 direction +/- 30°. The seat needs to protect the other 300°. A cage needs to protect the integrity of passenger compartment (which seems to have deformed in the crash and sent the windshield flying.

Would you like a video showing that the cage needs to be several inches higher than the driver's helmet?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson
I can't imagine why he stayed sitting on course, facing backwards on the outside of a fast turn. I'd have put it in gear and driven it off course with the starter if I couldn't get it running. If nothing else worked I'd have gotten out of it and gotten myself off track.

Never get out of your car. For that exact reason we just saw. Unless you're on fire, stay in your car.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

That was a lot of movement
Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He should have also had a right side net, his belts should have been tighter, and he should have been trying to get the car off the racing surface. The on-coming driver should have taken evasive action and gone track right (there was only like 500 feet of grass out there for him to drive through!). So many things were not done correctly. Yes, a Hans is important, and ONLY if you have a 5 or 6 pt. harness will a Hans actually do anything.

THe right side net would have kept his head from flying to the right, and if his belts were tighter that would have also helped, but maybe all the forces would have gone to his neck in this particular scenario.
I just hope his 'engine start' button was on the left side of the steering wheel and that he was trying to get the car to fire while he was sitting there.
I still don't know why the other driver didn't try to slow down and go around the outside of him. That is the FIRST thing I would have thought of doing!

About the containment seat: good luck fitting one in your S2000! I tried, but I would have had to cut the hardtop to fit it, and move the rollcage around. In my case a right side net and the roll cage are not going to let my head move too much. once you cage an S2000, it becomes smaller than a miata inside, there is very little room for your head to move around (but you have to add the high density foam to all the bars that your head COULD hit).
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i plan on upgrading now that this past weekend i just had my first mishap in my s2k on track...
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by t-o_double_d
i plan on upgrading now that this past weekend i just had my first mishap in my s2k on track... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUNlI9HEzpw&t=4s
Wow that was intense, glad you are OK. How bad was the car damaged, seemed like quite the impact!

Quick Reply: Why a Containment Seat is Needed