S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Why a Containment Seat is Needed

Old 03-29-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

And What is the lesson from the above video?

Always drive an Automatic so it won't stall when you spin it........ I kid I kid. But it was very horror movie esk sitting there trying to start it know the alfa wearing a jason mask and a Chain saw was coming.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by austincrx
He should have also had a right side net...About the containment seat: good luck fitting one in your S2000! I tried, but I would have had to cut the hardtop to fit it, and move the rollcage around. In my case a right side net and the roll cage are not going to let my head move too much. once you cage an S2000, it becomes smaller than a miata inside, there is very little room for your head to move around (but you have to add the high density foam to all the bars that your head COULD hit).
Spec Miata often make the cage to accommodate the seat. The bar behind the seat needs to be made when the seat height is known. Containment seats need to be attached to it and that is where the shoulder harnesses will be fastened. Spec Miatas don't have interior panels on their doors and and it is common to install a lowered floor under the driver's seat.8

The right side net is a placebo. I challenge anyone to show an instance where it meaningfully restrained a driver's head. It would just stretch out of the way, like the old flapper head restraints.

There are a wide variety of seats available. Off the shelf seats from OMG, Sparco, Recaro, Bride, etc. will require foam to raise the driver to the correct height with the head and shoulder restraint (both are needed or your head and neck would be supporting your body. They are often also available custom built to the driver's dimensions. The US aluminum seats should also fit. They come in more sizes, some have adjustments for the head restraint height, and custom orders are easier because they are made locally.

In the end, there are always 'accidents'. Something always happened that was intended: a part/tire failed, a corner marshal made an error, a driver made an error, etc. The safety equipment is for those times.

Originally Posted by t-o_double_d
i plan on upgrading now that this past weekend i just had my first mishap in my s2k on track... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUNlI9HEzpw&t=4s
First, your car was crazy loose. Just for the record, constantly correcting slides that require 45° of opposite lock shouldn't be your norm! The sawing at the wheel is to correct changes in slip angle from varying wheel loads as it handles bumps on the track and maybe to counteract bump steer as the wheel responds to those track surface imperfections. If the car's bump steer and shocks have been dialed in they can become minimal.

How badly was the car damaged? Was your neck sore?

This is a video of one of the top Spec Miata drivers at Roebling Road. Notice his hand movement. This car would have been set up to have as little tire scrub (i.e. be as loose) as possible.

This video was 2 years later, on a damp track with worn tires. Notice his wheel movements...he describes it as fun because it was crazy loose. Also notice, he has a containment seat by this time.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

it was simply loose because of my tires... old cycled out rs3's and this was a private event so i was just goofing around and having a blast sliding the car until i made the mistake of lifting too much when feathering the throttle. the day before i was up at VIR with my hoosiers on and here is a better example of the way the car is set up and supposed to be...

as far as damage, i dont know the full extent yet... just brought it home and threw it in the garage... will start taking it apart to see... knew it was bound to happen eventually and yeah just a bit of a sore neck but full mobility just a little stiff.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 AM

How much power do you have in that car? It seemed to accelerate very quickly! But still some severe opposite lock. Is it turbo that comes on suddenly?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
How much power do you have in that car? It seemed to accelerate very quickly! But still some severe opposite lock. Is it turbo that comes on suddenly?
He's NA and around 220whp (Todd, keep me honest). He's got about 3 mph on me on the straights at VIR.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

223whp its a 2005 and weighs just north of 2900 with me in it after a tt session. Stock motor, just intake and exhaust and a VAFC.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Dang, that was a hard hit. He was trying to start it the whole time (you can see the dash lights coming on and off as he tries to cycle the ignition). Sure, it would have been smart to use the starter to roll it off track (assuming his car doesn't have a clutch interlock like the S2000 does), but in the heat of the moment it can be tough to think that clearly.

The Sparco Ergo Medium will fit in the S2000 with stock interior, Hard Dog roll bar and soft-top, with minor cutting to the edges of the seat by the transmission tunnel and the soft-top frame. The containment wings are removable in 60 seconds for street driving. The shoulder wing will lightly rub the door card and the containment wings do not touch the window. Glovebox is still accessible.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
The Sparco Ergo Medium will fit in the S2000 with stock interior, Hard Dog roll bar and soft-top, with minor cutting to the edges of the seat by the transmission tunnel and the soft-top frame. The containment wings are removable in 60 seconds for street driving. The shoulder wing will lightly rub the door card and the containment wings do not touch the window. Glovebox is still accessible.
TTBOMK, the Sparco Ergo is the only one with explicitly removable containment part of the head restraint. Some domestic aluminum seats have the head restraint bolted on and removable, but that would leave no head rest at all which is dangerous by itself.

Do you have pictures of an Ergo installed in an S2k? Can you take measurements off an Ergo? Note there is an Ergo comes in two sizes. I'm not sure how strong the head restraint is. Its antique FIA 8858-1999 certification has no head restraint criteria.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Buy a NecksGen

http://www.necksgen.com/faq/

Old 03-29-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by t-o_double_d
i plan on upgrading now that this past weekend i just had my first mishap in my s2k on track... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUNlI9HEzpw&t=4s
that sucks. Pushing the way you do, setting the times your setting, it is bound to happen. Glad your OK. If you don't mind, can you post up damage assessment and it's fix? I have not been there in many years but was doing chump races there back in 2011,2012. I went off there a couple times because I couldn't NOT look at the kids bikes/toys in the back yard on the right. The kids bike would be gone after like 90 minutes in the car and I was like "where did he go, he can't get out of the infield of the track"

Quick Reply: Why a Containment Seat is Needed