S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Will aftermarket seats make the roll hoops functional on track

Old 06-23-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ludeguy13
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1435079136' post='23657564
What about just the roll-bar with everything else OEM? I am all about being safe on the street as well, quite honestly I feel my greatest risk of anything happening is simply driving to and from work on a nice day that I decide to drive my car. The same sorta goes for the roll bar on the track, that is great for roll-over accidents, but doesn't do much for any other type of accident. This is why I ended up where I am currently at, just staying OEM and being responsible when I am out there, maybe that is the safest/cheapest option.
Just the roll bar will give you a higher "impact" point in the case of a flip, but you have to ask yourself, what will hold your body from hitting the ground when upside down? When I look at it like that, I don't think adding an aftermarket rollbar will provide that much "more" protection than the stock system.

If tracking is something you are going to consistently participate in, I would hold off on everything until you can do it all, and really be conscious about your driving in the mean time. When you have a nice chunk of change, do it all. Also, I wouldn't do any of this if the car is your daily driver (for all safety/theft/law enforcement related reasons).
It isn't my DD, yeah kinda been my thoughts. When you look at it like this though maybe a hard top is the way to go, at least you skid on that as opposed to your head
Old 06-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...on-the-street/
Old 06-23-2015, 05:23 PM

Well that answers my question, thanks! I do suppose this might be the "safest" option without all or nothing. Although as low as you sit how do you suppose the airbag functions? How about your head and the side of the door? I think there will always be a give and take to this sorta thing. The stock S2000 was rated quite high in all aspects.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com..._S2000/Safety/

I have 3 more events planned and 1 is this weekend, maybe I will get through this year and reevaluate.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

The roll hoops are functional even if you have no seats... I have seen more than one completely stock S2000 roll at Buttonwillow and both drivers walked away without a scratch. I think a quality well designed weld in roll cage will make the biggest difference in the event of a situation where the car rolls multiple times and a lot of centrifugal force builds up.

The thing about asking about safety advice on car forums is that there is probably only 1 person who actually knows what they are talking about and it is very unlikely that person will respond.

That said. Personally I wouldn't do a bolt in roll bar that does away with the built-in roll hoops or doesn't utilize the roll hoop mounting points. In most cases those built-in roll hoops are the only things that have actually been tested in an actual roll over. Most of these guys selling roll bars don't even load test them let alone do any real world testing.

I am likely much less risk averse than many people that post here, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would gladly race with people wheel to wheel on track with no safety equipment if they would let me.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was doing a street/track car, I would probably do a Hard Dog roll bar, Sparco Ergo seat, and harnesses. When my car was still used on the street, I kept the OEM seat belts in the car and had clip in harnesses w/eye bolts. I would just tuck the shoulder straps behind the seat on the street. I also had a Sparco Evo 2 at the time.

The biggest safety addition that gave me peace of mind was a HANS, then a halo seat, closely followed by a roll bar. Statistically, neck injuries are the most common injury in racing. Fire related injuries are the scariest IMO. I made a lot of impulse buys after witnessing a bad fire crash on the street. It is actually why I decided to completely strip my car.

If you aren't doing W2W, you may ask around to find someone selling their outdated safety equipment. I don't know of any solo events where the safety equipment has to be in date so long as it is in good condition.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:37 PM

So what about forgeting gear for the car and buying gear for myself like a better helmet (mine is SA 2010, but it is quite heavy), a fire suite, and a HANs (can you use a HANs without a harness?)?

Currently I wear a heavy ass cheap helmet, a neck support, gloves, and jeans/long sleeve.

The more I think about it I do need some sunglasses that fit inside of my helmet or a visor tint as my current glasses suck.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgoetz
So what about forgeting gear for the car and buying gear for myself like a better helmet (mine is SA 2010, but it is quite heavy), a fire suite, and a HANs (can you use a HANs without a harness?)?

Currently I wear a heavy ass cheap helmet, a neck support, gloves, and jeans/long sleeve.

The more I think about it I do need some sunglasses that fit inside of my helmet or a visor tint as my current glasses suck.
Helmet is kind of up to you. I use a SA2005 currently and it is fairly heavy. I think that is more of a comfort thing. I don't think the weight is going to make any considerable difference in you being able to withstand a high g crash. The argument will go both ways, in that a couple pounds translates exponentially both ways in how much force you endure vs how much you reduce. Say you hit a wall at 60mph... The average human head weighs 11lbs and it stops your car in .5 seconds, which seems fairly long to me, but whatever. You are looking at 9 gees. So, your head weighs 100lbs for an instant... Go to the gym sometime and pick up a 100lb dumbbell. Not sure about you, but I am pretty screwed even without a helmet and I lift regularly. I'd opt for the cheap helmet+HANS vs just a light helmet.

Watch this video.
https://www.youtube....h?v=g40YatgE_CE

HANS requires a harness.

Can't go wrong with a fire suit. I think it is a bit overkill just for track days but I personally wear one now just from what I have seen even during track days.

I was never big on sunglasses until I bought a set of Costas with the 580 lenses. They are amazing when the sun is really glaring down. My first pair were the 580P lenses in the blue. Now I have a set of 580G amber lenses. I prefer the blue, but the glass lenses are really nice. Buy them used as they are ridiculously expensive new...

The only downside I could see to sunglasses is that in a fire the plastic may melt to your face. "Once you get to that point you have bigger problems..."blah blah blah. Just something to consider.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1435113460' post='23658280

Helmet is kind of up to you. I use a SA2005 currently and it is fairly heavy. I think that is more of a comfort thing. I don't think the weight is going to make any considerable difference in you being able to withstand a high g crash. The argument will go both ways, in that a couple pounds translates exponentially both ways in how much force you endure vs how much you reduce. Say you hit a wall at 60mph... The average human head weighs 11lbs and it stops your car in .5 seconds, which seems fairly long to me, but whatever. You are looking at 9 gees. So, your head weighs 100lbs for an instant... Go to the gym sometime and pick up a 100lb dumbbell. Not sure about you, but I am pretty screwed even without a helmet and I lift regularly. I'd opt for the cheap helmet+HANS vs just a light helmet.

Watch this video.

HANS requires a harness.

Can't go wrong with a fire suit. I think it is a bit overkill just for track days but I personally wear one now just from what I have seen even during track days.

I was never big on sunglasses until I bought a set of Costas with the 580 lenses. They are amazing when the sun is really glaring down. My first pair were the 580P lenses in the blue. Now I have a set of 580G amber lenses. I prefer the blue, but the glass lenses are really nice. Buy them used as they are ridiculously expensive new...

The only downside I could see to sunglasses is that in a fire the plastic may melt to your face. "Once you get to that point you have bigger problems..."blah blah blah. Just something to consider.
Dang that video is nuts! In all fairness though I have an airbag .

Why can't you use one with a 3 point? I had an instructor use one in my car last event with a 3 point.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic' timestamp='1435115473' post='23658312
[quote name='bgoetz' timestamp='1435113460' post='23658280']

Watch this video.

HANS requires a harness.

Dang that video is nuts! In all fairness though I have an airbag .

Why can't you use one with a 3 point? I had an instructor use one in my car last event with a 3 point.
[/quote]

There are some devices designed to be used with 3 point harnesses. Many instructors have these since many HPDE cars lack cage/seats/harness. However the "Hans" brand is designed to be used with harnesses only
Old 06-24-2015, 04:41 AM

this has been a good informative discussion that has not become a debate which is nice. I think the decision I have come to is that life is dangerous, hell I ride a bike between 6-11k miles annually on the street, every car that passes me could hit me and kill me. These are HPDE events and are designed to introduce people with normal cars to driving on a race track. The facilities/events themselves are designed in such a manner that they allow driving closer to the limits in a much safer manner than on the street. However, driving closer to those limits increases the risk of an incident, one that regardless of where you are could turn bad. Extra safety gear helps address this. The car itself makes really no difference to me with regards to safety equipment, I don't think the S2000 is any less safe to the point where it would cause me to choose a safety device that I would not in another car.

I don't feel that people should have to invest in all of this expense to participate in something that they may only do a few times and then decide it isn't for them, I don't think it is practice to modify a street car to this point when just getting started. The HPDE events for the most part agree. All that said these are not races and rely on a level of self control/awareness to stay safe, I think this is the single biggest key to everything.

Now, I do think as has been said many times in other similar threads, there is a point where things gravitate a bit beyond the HPDE thing. Your doing it more and your getting closer to the limits. At this point I think being honest with yourself and investing into most of the above gear is a great idea. Who knows at the end of the day maybe there is something to be said about the level of self awareness gained by following this path as well.

I think I am just getting my feet wet and will evaluate after the couple of events I have left and go from there. If it is something I will keep doing making the investment is a good thing. Could something happen in those couple events, sure. Could I get clipped by a car tonight on my bike, absolutely. At least in the car I have some control of my own right foot, on my bike who knows what the driver approaching is doing.

With regards to my question that started this, I think just a seat to get you lower will get you low enough at my height and may be a decent single safety mod, so maybe I will start there if I do it in phases.

Quick Reply: Will aftermarket seats make the roll hoops functional on track