S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Will aftermarket seats make the roll hoops functional on track

Old 06-25-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bdo
Originally Posted by bgoetz' timestamp='1435149665' post='23658621
I don't feel that people should have to invest in all of this expense to participate in something that they may only do a few times and then decide it isn't for them, I don't think it is practice to modify a street car to this point when just getting started. The HPDE events for the most part agree. All that said these are not races and rely on a level of self control/awareness to stay safe, I think this is the single biggest key to everything.

Now, I do think as has been said many times in other similar threads, there is a point where things gravitate a bit beyond the HPDE thing. Your doing it more and your getting closer to the limits. At this point I think being honest with yourself and investing into most of the above gear is a great idea. Who knows at the end of the day maybe there is something to be said about the level of self awareness gained by following this path as well.
I think this is a good attitude. You don't need to go all out just to get started with HPDE's. But as you do it more and start getting more serious, faster, and more aggressive, then at some point it's wise to invest in a safety setup. That's where I'm at currently.
Yeah I think this is what I am going with, I think it is what HPDE events are for. The thing is driving my car and enjoying it on the street is equally or even more important to the track. I don't want to be stuck where I can't do that. Just trust my right foot and hope for the best.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Originally Posted by DavidNJ' timestamp='1435209878' post='23659818
The seat also brings up the halo question. The HANS device stops you neck from stretching forward...but what stops it from snapping side to side? However the halos can limit visibility and make ingress/egress more difficult.
Sparco makes a seat with removable headwings. A few companies also make seats with oval headwings that are open in the middle so they are safer for street driving.

I think a few brands do. Everything but a harness is expensive. These seats are around $1000+. Roll bars will be $800 or so with options and shipping and requires quite a bit of work to install. HANS device is $600. The harness is cheaper,
Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

A bit pricey but I came across this carbon seat for Spec Miatas. One of its features is it can be mounted low and is narrow to fit in the Miata.

http://mazdaracers.c...specmiata-seat/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1IQCD7pic[/media]
Old 07-10-2015, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a good, low bucket seat that passes the broomstick test would certainly be a safety enhancement as long as you use the OEM seat belts. You can route the seat belts through the lap belt holes in the seat, and use a CG lock to keep your butt firmly planted, but you'll still have the freedom to "duck" in the event of a rollover.

It also really depends on the track. There are some tracks that have infinite run-off areas, while others can be quite hazardous in places.

Another positive to a proper fixed-back seat is that you will feel more connected to the car. I'm still using stock seats, and I utilize a stupid amount of energy just "bracing" myself from sliding around. Seats are next on my list of things to do, but I've been spending all my track budget on seat time. Maybe next season...