S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Street Encounters (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-street-encounters-34/)
-   -   00 s2k vs 04 cobra (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-street-encounters-34/00-s2k-vs-04-cobra-202077/)

mikecl713 05-06-2004 12:04 AM

wait till the next gen coming soon

kumar75150 05-06-2004 12:06 AM

i bet it still has less power than its american competition even though the "gentlemen's agreement" is over

mikecl713 05-06-2004 12:08 AM

rumor has it it might be a 300-400hp v6 or small v8

kumar75150 05-06-2004 12:11 AM

the c6 z06 which will prolly be here before the next NSX is supposed to be 480-500

The Viper is already at 500

yellafeva 05-06-2004 12:15 AM

Wait 'til the next generation of Japanese cars to come out, NSX, Supra, Skyline, etc. I'm sure they won't have more power than the domestic cars, but they will be extremely competitive. Domestic cars have ALWAYS had great power from huge engines, but they always lack "something", the overall "oomph!", the overall package; I just can't describe it.

No one said, at least NOT me, that domestic cars are POS or inferior or anything like that. I have nothing against domestic cars. But I had to jump in to back up my statement that overall, Japanese cars are known to be more reliable for the last few decades.

kumar75150 05-06-2004 12:27 AM

I agree with you to a point.

If I was looking to buy a daily driver, I would get a Camry before a Taurus etc.

I just take issue with the whole "better enginerring" feeling of superiority. I want a fast car that handles bad ass. I dont care if you put a 1.3L in it or a 8.0L in it.

carrrnuttt 05-06-2004 03:22 AM

To take this to a different tangent, let's take a look at the current crop of full-size trucks.

Once Nissan decided to take on Ford and Chevy directly in the truck game, Nissan surpassed both in many areas, including performance (not including the HD trucks, which Nissan doesn't have).

In a recent test, done in the same day, at the same track (MT, I think), a Titan loaded-down with about 900-lbs in the bed still outran a 2004 Ford F-150 that was empty. The Titan even outruns the mighty Hemi Ram, and its SUV cousin, the Armada, outruns the Hemi Durango that's smaller, and lighter, with supposedly a more powerful engine.

Let's not even mention the 40K Chevy trucks, namely the SS, and the SSR.

Oh, on that note, Nissan's next-gen Frontier pick-ups will have a VK56DE (Endurance V8) option.

suvh8r 05-06-2004 04:52 AM

Japan is falling behind in the HP wars. Maybe that will change in the future, but right now, every other country has 500+HP cars and Japan still has nothing more than 300hp. They will get left in the dust unless the new NSX and Skyline (and possibly supra?) pick up the slack. Anything less than 400+ is unacceptable and would put japan further down the latter in the premeir sports car segment.

no_really 05-06-2004 08:04 AM

Originally posted by carrrnuttt
To take this to a different tangent, let's take a look at the current crop of full-size trucks.

Once Nissan decided to take on Ford and Chevy directly in the truck game, Nissan surpassed both in many areas, including performance (not including the HD trucks, which Nissan doesn't have).
So what areas exactly did Nissan surpass anyone? If they don't have stronger, more powerful trucks, then they didn't surpass anyone there. If their trucks are not better at doing the job than anyone else's, what exactly is this claim of "surpassing" Ford and Chevy based on? Perhaps their interior is plusher. Or they ride nicer when empty. Great, so if you don't really need a truck for work, or hauling things very often, then a Titan is "better" for you. But hardly a better truck.

In a recent test, done in the same day, at the same track (MT, I think), a Titan loaded-down with about 900-lbs in the bed still outran a 2004 Ford F-150 that was empty. The Titan even outruns the mighty Hemi Ram, and its SUV cousin, the Armada, outruns the Hemi Durango that's smaller, and lighter, with supposedly a more powerful engine.

Let's not even mention the 40K Chevy trucks, namely the SS, and the SSR.

Oh, on that note, Nissan's next-gen Frontier pick-ups will have a VK56DE (Endurance V8) option.
Who races loaded trucks? Why didn't they put the max load on the trucks, then race, if they're gonna race loaded trucks? Why stop at 900 lbs.? Is it because the Titan would lose that race? Who knows?

What Nissan's trucks "will have" is not really relevant until they have it, and even then, who cares? If you like Nissan trucks, and they do the job for you better than anything else, buy one. But trying to tell everyone how Nissan trucks are so much better than everything else (except for things like load capacity, towing capacity, power, options, and market share) is kind of silly. There are tons of options for Ford, GMC, and Dodge trucks, options that aren't available on the Titan. It is fairly easy to outfit a domestic truck that is surpassed by the Titan, but it is impossible to outfit a Titan that surpasses a Ford, GMC, or Dodge, given the options available for the domestic trucks. The Titan is a fine truck if it fits your needs, but it will never be the best truck for everyone. It is foolish to suggest it is.

Diablo99V 05-06-2004 08:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by no_really
What Nissan's trucks "will have" is not really relevant until they have it, and even then, who cares?