S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

AP1 vs 96 z28 camaro

Old 04-11-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 vs 96 z28 camaro

...went out last night for a quick spin and to grab a snack and i just so happened to run into a relatively clean and not beat up 96 Z28 Camaro.

i was just driving and pulled up to him at a red light. we were back a few cars in line and not even side by side. i knew i wanted to run as soon as i saw him because i'm just crazy when it comes to street racing opportunities (bad i know )

anyways...light turns green and everybody goes....we're both kinda taking it easy but whenever i passed i'd give a little gas to see if he'd bite. he did bite. next thing i know there's an opening in front of the Camaro and he takes off....but, he didn't really seem that fast...

we come to another red light and this time there's only 1 car in front of us. light turns green and we both get ahead of the pack. we slow down to almost 15-20, he let off 3 honks and gunned it. i was in first so of course i gunned it too and proceeded to completely murder this guy lol.

i pulled so hard by the time 4th was about wrung out he was a good 2-3 cars back

i was very happy with myself at this point because it was definitely a manual and def a z28. then i looked them up this morning and found out that model year wasn't really that quick compared to later years w/ the updated engines or whatever.

they run like 14's in the quarter mile stock.

we actually went at it again and it was even worse.

from a 2nd gear roll starting at about 6k rpms the ownage was even worse and he quickly gave up as the mad 3rd gear vtec kicked in lol.

a mustang kill followed by a camaro kill the next day? i'm lovin it, even if they were older models and weren't modded.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 AM

Good kill, I was next to one on the interstate yesterday and wondered what would happen if we ran.
I was a little nervous to run him cuz i have a LT1 powered fero and that thing is scarry fast, def much faster than my S2k, granted it is by no means a stock LT1 and a Fiero weighs a lot less than a camaro.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by chamorru,Apr 11 2008, 06:00 AM
...went out last night for a quick spin and to grab a snack and i just so happened to run into a relatively clean and not beat up 96 Z28 Camaro.

i was just driving and pulled up to him at a red light. we were back a few cars in line and not even side by side. i knew i wanted to run as soon as i saw him because i'm just crazy when it comes to street racing opportunities (bad i know )

anyways...light turns green and everybody goes....we're both kinda taking it easy but whenever i passed i'd give a little gas to see if he'd bite. he did bite. next thing i know there's an opening in front of the Camaro and he takes off....but, he didn't really seem that fast...

we come to another red light and this time there's only 1 car in front of us. light turns green and we both get ahead of the pack. we slow down to almost 15-20, he let off 3 honks and gunned it. i was in first so of course i gunned it too and proceeded to completely murder this guy lol.

i pulled so hard by the time 4th was about wrung out he was a good 2-3 cars back

i was very happy with myself at this point because it was definitely a manual and def a z28. then i looked them up this morning and found out that model year wasn't really that quick compared to later years w/ the updated engines or whatever.

they run like 14's in the quarter mile stock.

we actually went at it again and it was even worse.

from a 2nd gear roll starting at about 6k rpms the ownage was even worse and he quickly gave up as the mad 3rd gear vtec kicked in lol.

a mustang kill followed by a camaro kill the next day? i'm lovin it, even if they were older models and weren't modded.
I like it! Was he pissed off?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice kill
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 PM

I hear if thier optispark ignition isn't well maintained, they lose alot of power. Those are like 275hp 300+ tq in a ~3600lb car. Should be a close race.

Good kill, though.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by lorenzodanger,Apr 11 2008, 06:18 AM
I was a little nervous to run him cuz i have a LT1 powered fero and that thing is scarry fast, def much faster than my S2k, granted it is by no means a stock LT1 and a Fiero weighs a lot less than a camaro.
Nice. Are you on PFF?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE]Nice. Are you on PFF?

Yeah, my dad mainly does it, Bonzo is the name (I think hes on here too, their sort of both of our cars sice hes the one who mainly works on them)
Old 04-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Sweet. Must be nice to have a badass Fiero and an S2000 !

I have a T3/T4 turbo V6 to hold me over for now, and my next purchase WILL be an S2k, along with an Inline Pro kit. I just absolutely love the S2k. The Fiero handles nicely too, but Im sure the S2k is far better, no?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted2M6,Apr 12 2008, 12:17 PM
Sweet. Must be nice to have a badass Fiero and an S2000 !

I have a T3/T4 turbo V6 to hold me over for now, and my next purchase WILL be an S2k, along with an Inline Pro kit. I just absolutely love the S2k. The Fiero handles nicely too, but Im sure the S2k is far better, no?
I love both cars, but their so different its hard to compare them.
My Fiero's stays planted better in the corners (mostly due to the aftermarket suspension) but the feel of the S is way better, as is the acuracy of its steering.

Is it a turbo 3.8?
If it is, that thing must scoot too, prob just as quick as my LT1.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:27 PM

I have upgraded susp. as well, like I said, handles pretty well. I just figured the S with its more modern design would be better. Of course, you are comparing a stock setup to one thats modified, so....

I have a well worked over 2.8l (read 3.0l) at ~10psi. Not the fastest car in the world, but its fun to drive and takes care of the ricers fairly well

Once I buy nitrous and get it tuned properly, I will be done with this car. Then its time for a boosted 2.0l, 9K rpm monster

Quick Reply: AP1 vs 96 z28 camaro