S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Evo IX, MX-5 Miata

Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Evo IX, MX-5 Miata

i see this Evo IX that gives me a thumbs down (wth who does that) when i pull up next to him, but i let it slide bcause my cousin knows that guy and he's in my passenger seat. he says he'll show me what a real JDM beast is like.. i know he's faster but i say wtheck let me just run him to see how it turns out. he has a loud ass BOV and exhaust. we line up more than once but he just slows down and gets behind me every single time. i don't think he knows much about racing/driving. then we finally come to a complete stop on the road (major, public road with no cars or anything around). he says he's ready when i am, so i hold the revs just above 6,000 and let the clutch up quick (this was my first real launch ever, and i did it perfectly--didn't feel any hesitation or hear any weird sounds, and i took off like i never knew i could!). i put 2 cars on him in 1st and 2nd then his turbo spins and he leaves me like i'm literally in reverse. his shifting really sucked though, as his car would literally come to a pause between gears, and he seemed very unskilled judging by how he maneuvered his car on the way to where we raced.. it kinda pissed me off that i could tell how badly he sucked at driving but he beat me just because of a car he couldn't even fully control. but o well, he was cool afterwards..

i pull up next to an MX-5 Miata at a red light and stay a bit behind him. he feels intimidated as he keeps glancing over. the light turns green, and he doesnt move until i line up with him. i can tell he hits it through first. at the same time, i was full throttle in first to about 6,000 rpm then i shifted, and i was still right on him. it was fun because he thought he was winning i'm sure. then i let VTEC kick in in 2nd gear and he blew past him like he was reversing. i felt kinda bad--guy was in maybe his mid-40s and the car looked like he'd just bought it.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have 4.77's, i/h/e and also went first against the Evo he shouldnt have pulled you back. either that or his car didnt have a stock turbo. but seeing as though he had a BOV and couldnt drive as you say, he probably didnt have any turbo upgrades. im guessing he was just a stock Evo with exhaust and a BOV. you should have at least held him off until your 3rd or 4th and he definitely should not have gone past you like you were in reverse.

the reason i say this is that a i/h/e/4.77'd s2000 should trap 106ish. an evo ix with just an exhaust should trap about 104-105. with you going first and getting a "perfect launch" he shouldnt have pulled you back or at least not as hard as he did. i race my friend's evo ix mr and he can BARELY pull me and he has a 20G turbo and i dont have gears.

are you sure you shift fast enough to take full advatage of those gears?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 AM

AH! the gears should be installed next week! lol there's been a delay in getting them in.

i'll be removing that from the sig now...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 AM

ok that answers quite a lot. once you have the gears he shouldnt pull back on you (especially from a dig)
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 AM

i knew it'd make me faster, but it really helps THAT much? sweeeeeet

o yeah and my cousin said the evo guy told him he only had the exhaust and the BOV.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 AM

yea with i/h/e and 4.77's you should easily be trapping 106. you just have to be able to shift fast to take full advantage of the gearing. from a 10mph roll you should pull on a stock evo until at least 90-100.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to kick every moron in the penis that has a BOV and exhaust on a stock evo. the BOV makes them run like crap, and the exhaust is just waiting for a tune to really make power. a bet a stock reflashed 9 would KILL him.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 AM

yeah the BOV didn't sound clear and precise like on well-tuned turbo cars. it sounded more like one on a metro bus.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:55 PM

Tuning is extremely important on Evo's. I ran a bolted on Evo 9 with cams and I pulled him by 2 cars in my STi. And then 1 week later I ran a turbo back exhaust, MBC, and a tuned Evo 9 and I only pulled him by 1 car. LOL! I ran both on my race gas tune
Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 PM

I just bolted on my ctsc on, now let me see these evo's mess with me. .
When i was n/a i could run right with a bolt on evo 9 with my bolt-ons and gears. I haven't raced one yet with the ctsc on stock boost but i'd think it would be an ass whooping, can't wait

Quick Reply: Evo IX, MX-5 Miata