S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

JDM S15 Silvia vs JDM S2K Type V

Old 05-15-2001, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on my way home tonight from Darling Harbor after dinner with my secretary while I was driving her home in Chatswood. I took the usual tunnel because I enjoyed the VTEC revs inside. As normal, I entered the tunnel via the Kings Cross side and switched to high beams. Hmm, I usually do that to clear traffic or give the other drivers something to think about.

Just going slowly while building up some momentum, I opened the windows to prepare for the VTEC tune and once pass the speed camera ... I double clutched and dropped it into 2nd and gunned it, redlining and double clutched into 3rd when I purposely cut off a white JDM S15 that was either driving really slowly or waiting to see who is operating those HID lamps blasting from behind, a rare sight but you can tell from the high wing spoiler compared to export versions.

He must have got pissed off or just waited the moment but once I cut him off, I moved back into the right lane with 3Ks more to shifting into 4th. He pulls right up and I suppose he was shifting from 5th to 3rd and I hear this loud "Swoosh". Oh nice blow off, he has his high beams on as well. His turbo boost is definitely much stronger compared to VTEC and he didn't backed off a bit.

I was pulling closer to him while I double clutched into 4th, I hear him shifting into the next gear with another loud "Swoosh" and now going almost side by side we almost hit the end of the tunnel. With his lead almost quarter a car difference, he downshifted and I did the same. Down came his windows was as Asian as well. With a thumbs up before he headed for the North Sydney exit while I continued my journey right.

Must say, it's been quite sometime before I have met such classique challenge. Quite surprised about the bad reviews about the JDM S15 suspension or handling not being good enough or capable of it's class but I can well see that he wasn't running standard setups from the way we went side by side on the final curve before the tunnel exit. Wouldn't call that a win but certainly good fun.

[Edited by Takashi KazuMori on 05-15-2001 at 07:10 AM]
Old 05-15-2001, 08:35 AM

Does the Type V handle that much better?
Old 05-15-2001, 10:58 AM

Chatswood?? Thats where I live! A Type V was in my neibourhood? Damn! Let me know before you come to Chatswood next time! I'll just drive around Chatswood...to get a glimpse of the Type V...
Old 05-15-2001, 05:27 PM

Driven both in-vis comparison, I'll say the normal one is definitely better on the track since getting it to drift isn't that much of an issue while the Type V makes you feel like you're driving a FF or 4WD somehow it's pretty hard to make it drift or fishtail it the way you want it to.

Grip sense, it's much improved with even lesser bodyroll and much more stable. The steering does need some getting used to, feels kinda weird that's all I can really say. Don't really know how to describe it, everything is much more sensitive with taking turns minus half or somewhere there.

Playlife, ever go to the McDonald's carpark on Friday or Saturday nights to see a whole group of Asians meeting up to bring their cars through the National Parks? Sometimes we meet with friends there. My car is completely black with the hardtop and completely illegal tint. Spot the intense blue PIAA HID lights compared to the stock ones.

[Edited by Takashi KazuMori on 05-15-2001 at 06:29 PM]
Old 05-16-2001, 09:11 AM

Which maccas? I usually see car meetings at Stanmore and Silverwater maccas. Next time if you see a guy in a white/red (with a little red S2Ki.com sticker at the back) waving at you like crazy you'll know its me!
Old 05-16-2001, 09:28 AM

Are the turns much more sensative on the V? Or slightly noticable.
Old 05-16-2001, 05:25 PM

The Type V steering is indeed more sensitive than normal. The Chatswood maccas, for drag races they are occasionally at the Bass Hill maccas. The rest of them, hmm you don't find much Asians there and they aren't going to any races just hanging around trying to act tough
Old 05-16-2001, 06:25 PM

Hey Takashi and PLAYLIFE, you gonna rock up there this sat? I might come over too ... as it stands at the moment, my sat nite is looking VERY boring!
Old 05-17-2001, 04:53 AM

Where are you interested in going Iggy? I don't know what's the location this Saturday neither do I have any details at the moment. I know for sure I will be out though. Playlife, howabout you? Hmm, maybe we should organize some meet up race night for those who are interested.
Old 05-17-2001, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
Where are you interested in going Iggy? I don't know what's the location this Saturday neither do I have any details at the moment. I know for sure I will be out though. Playlife, howabout you? Hmm, maybe we should organize some meet up race night for those who are interested.
I live at Bondi Beach actually, but I LOVE going up north. Old Pacific Hwy is the best!
Have you ever driven it at nite? I've done a few runs there on Sundays ... it's good ... but risky ... last sunday drove past 3 hwy patrol cars! (lucky me, I was going under the speed limit cause there was a truck in front of me!).

I am up for a littel get-together

Quick Reply: JDM S15 Silvia vs JDM S2K Type V