S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Mustang, RX8 ETC.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang, RX8 ETC.

Hey guys,

It's been a looong time since I posted here. But I still lurk. No I don't have my S2K anymore, but my daily driver is a 2004 Acura TL A-spec. Anyhow, here are my most recent runs.

The first week I had the car, I needed to get my safety inspection done in order to get my plates. The garage was pretty backed up, so my friend was following me in his car just in case we had to leave my car there. He has a Mustang GT, either 01 or 02. It has exhaust, K&N, 3.73's Intake, short throw, etc. He's a pretty darn good driver, and his car sounds awesome. Now he was maybe 2-3 car lengths behind me following me to the garage. I never had a chance to run him in my S2K, but he told me he usually pulls 1-2 car lengths on them, so I figured I would get my ass handed to me. I was running at about 65 and dropped the car into a lower gear to let him know I wanted to play a bit. We both hammered the gas, and we stayed the exact same distance from 65 to about 105-110. He was hanging back in the next lane about two cars back the whole way! I was expecting to see him come roaring by me! I figured he was probably just pacing me. Anyways, our exit was coming up, so we slowed down and ended up at a light. Our turn into the garage was maybe 1/4 mile up the road. I didn't want to gun it from the light because I knew he'd ram his front in up my tailpipe from a launch! So I eased onto the throttle got to about 30 mph and hammered it. He anticipated it so he stayed in a low gear the whole time and followed suit. Again, we stayed even up to about 65 and had to lay off to make the turn. Now this run lasted barely over a second or so, so it really wasn't all that telling. When I pulled in and got out of the car, I was smiling, but expecting him to tell me that he was only 3/4 way into the throttle, but instead he was raving about how fast this four door is, and that he couldn't gain an inch on me! I was pretty impressed! Now I know for a fact he would roast me from a stand still. There is no way in hell a FWD car can launch with his car. He has pulled a best of 14.02 at a BAD track with strteet tires, and a missed shift, so I was pretty damn impressed that we stayed even like that. Not a kill story at all, but a hell of a good time.

Now, on to the kills.

I was on my way home from work, and there was a good looking blue RX8 in the fast lane, and I was in the middle lane. I was coming up fast on a car doing maybe 50 mph in my lane, so I wanted to get over into his. I sped up with my blinker on to merge in front of him, but he hit his gas so I could not get over ( idiot ). So i FINALLY was able to pull behind him, and I just knew he was going to hammer it when I completed the merge. I saw him watching me in the rearview. Sure enough I heard him downshift and he took off. I immediately gunned it as well, and within 3 to four seconds had to nail my brakes to keep from hitting him. But as I hit my brakes, he kept in it, and pulled maybe 7 or 8 lenghs by the time I got back in it. Sure enough, I quickly stopped his pulling and starting reeling him in. I gained back maybe 2 - 3 car lenghs by the time he hit his brakes. Keep in mind this is a long stretch of freeway with very very few cars and four lanes wide. I don't know if he thought he won or if he saw me gaining both times, but he slowed down, and just went about his business after that.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Merging to get into the turning lane onto the highway, I see this brand new Lexus IS300 just swerving in and out of traffic. It was obviously modded as his exhaust was obnoxiously loud, but actually sounded pretty healthy compared to the usaul wheed whacker tone you hear. He also had a very tastefull body kit and very nice paint job. However the driver was a total ass as he was cutting people off, and tailgating everyone. When he flew by me he was doing one of the dumbest "gangsta leans" I ever saw, and looked over at me as if he was the ****.
I knew he was making a run for the highway, so I got into it to make sure I was behind him. He gunned it onto the accel ramp, and I stayed behind him, but could not pass until we got onto the highway. As soon as the lane merged, he shot three lanes over to get into the fast lane. There was a semi in the center lane, and I could not see him for a few seconds. But by the time I passed the truck, and the fast lane was visible again, I had pulled three car lengths and quickly opened the distance to 6 or seven! But I never exceed 110 no matter how empty the road, so I nailed my brakes and he passed me still in it wot. He had to have hit 120 or more because he was long gone, still heavy into his "lean".

That's it for now, but remind me to post about the near- assault on me by a handicapped driver!!

Old 08-01-2004, 10:07 AM

Love the TL. Now if it was only rear wheel drive..........
Old 08-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Yes, I agree. Maybe I'll look into the new RL when it is released! AWD
Old 08-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Banned

I love the new TL; it's an awesome sedan for $34K. I test drove one and loved it. However, the torque steer scared the hell out of me. It simply has too much power for FWD to handle. The gear box, like all of other Hondas, is very nice, but not a match for the S2K's. But overall, it's one helluva sedan for $34K. If I needed a sedan, it'd be one of my top choices. Yeah, FWD is not the best platform for racing, but it's very suitable for driving in the rain, which is abundant here.

Regarding the RX8, I'm sure he thought that he smoked you. But oh well, what can you do?!!

The TL is a close match for an S2K from a roll, but would lose from a launch, if the S2K driver can launch properly. The 1/4 mi trap speeds for the TL are usually a couple mph lower than an S though.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:18 PM

Sounds like you had alot of fun in your TL Im assuming that your's is a 6spd?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:22 PM

I doubt his mustang GT could smoke an s2k Tall tales. Good stories though. Isn't the next acura car supposed to be 300awd or something?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Aug 1 2004, 04:22 PM
I doubt his mustang GT could smoke an s2k Tall tales. Good stories though. Isn't the next acura car supposed to be 300awd or something?
Yeah, the RL. But I suppose it'll be pricey, $50K+. But with the reliability and luxury, it'll still be one helluva car compared to others in the same class.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:39 PM

time to start selling your cologne collection yella!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:40 AM

Yea,
I think it would be a good run with an S2K from a roll, but not from a dead stop if the S2K has a good driver. Also, I think I would keep up (not beat ) with an S2K from the 60-100 range, but the Acura seems to drop dead after 110. When I owned my 01 S2K, it seemed to pull harder than the Acura at higher speeds ( with the top up ). ANyone in the STL area that wants a friendly run, I'd be happy to give it a shot! I'm always up for losing a few!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by dre107,Aug 1 2004, 10:07 AM
Love the TL. Now if it was only rear wheel drive..........
i agree with the comments above.

the TL is a helluva nice car. i considered getting one before i got my S.
with all the power they gave it...that thing deserves to be a RWD car.
oh well, maybe Honda will listen to people and do that to the next version of the TL.

oh yeah, nice runs.