S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

N/A S2k AP1 (tuned E85/racing slicks) vs. '01 Z06

Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A S2k AP1 (tuned E85/racing slicks) vs. '01 Z06

I am very new here and I have come to settle a debate between my friend and I. Please do not take my post here as hostile towards the Honda community since I am myself a Honda guy. I might be driving a G35 right now, but my first and favorite car will always be my Accord.

Anyways, he states that he can blow the doors off of a 2001 Corvette Z06 on the 1/4 mile by simply switching his future '02 S2K to run on E85, ECM tuned, racing slicks, and nothing but OEM parts made for the S2K. I am under the impression that the S2k's with a stock motor can do upper to mid 13's on the 1/4 mile provided good conditions and a good driver. And I've seen the Z06 numbers in the upper to mid 12's. But I just don't see how it would be possible to shave a full second off of the 1/4 with just E85 tuned and whatever OEM upgrades there might be. He is convinced of this because he claims he saw a stock S2000, smoke a Z06 at the track and I looked at him like he was crazy. He said that at most, the guy had a performance tune but no aftermarket parts. For me, even with the tune, it is extremely hard to believe someone can shave a full second off by just that. Nevertheless, he will not concede and I do not know enough about the S2k's potential to either show him the light, or become enlightened myself. So if all of you kind members can chime in and either shut mine or his mouth for good, I would be very grateful.

EDIT: He just raised the stakes. He said he would be willing to race for pinks. Anyone with a Z06 who wants a new DD?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM

S2000's can smoke z06's at a track no problem. It can mean a few things: z06 was a new driver, was driving for fun and s2k driver was probably going to town or it could have been a small track. If there aren't any long straights, an s2k shouldn't have that much of a problem keeping up with a z06. But I highly doubt he'll get close to a z06 in the 1/4 mile. Your friend is a cocky bastard.

I also thought modding an s2k N/A is pretty much useless. All the power out of that engine is pretty much there, it's hard to get anything else out of it unless you go turbo/supercharged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQc0ESxgeRU
Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Zero chance of him beating you! Plus slicks+stock diff=broke diff lol
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Forgot to mention its pointless running E85 in a n/a setup. It doesn't need the extra octane
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan2949
S2000's can smoke z06's at a track no problem. It can mean a few things: z06 was a new driver, was driving for fun and s2k driver was probably going to town or it could have been a small track. If there aren't any long straights, an s2k shouldn't have that much of a problem keeping up with a z06. But I highly doubt he'll get close to a z06 in the 1/4 mile. Your friend is a cocky bastard.

I also thought modding an s2k N/A is pretty much useless. All the power out of that engine is pretty much there, it's hard to get anything else out of it unless you go turbo/supercharged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQc0ESxgeRU
Thanks for the quick reply man

Well I am only worried about the 1/4 mile. I know the S2k's can tear it up on the twisty tracks and I would have given him the benefit of the doubt if he told me that the S2K beat the Z06 in a proper race on a proper track, not a drag strip. But yes he is extremely cocky. And uber competitive. Ever since I got my new car, he has been itching to race me and show me that his S2K WILL be better and he reminds me of the S2k's features and modding possibilities every time I go to his house. Needless to say, this gets annoying. And now he is trying to beat out a Z06 with N/A tuning.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bama
Forgot to mention its pointless running E85 in a n/a setup. It doesn't need the extra octane
Well he seems to believe that the E85 mixture will get him 25-30 HP by itself. So either he knows something we don't know, or he is potentially going to lose his S2K if he actually races for pinks lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Slaywhitey1327
I am very new here and I have come to settle a debate between my friend and I. Please do not take my post here as hostile towards the Honda community since I am myself a Honda guy. I might be driving a G35 right now, but my first and favorite car will always be my Accord.

Anyways, he states that he can blow the doors off of a 2001 Corvette Z06 on the 1/4 mile by simply switching his future '02 S2K to run on E85, ECM tuned, racing slicks, and nothing but OEM parts made for the S2K. I am under the impression that the S2k's with a stock motor can do upper to mid 13's on the 1/4 mile provided good conditions and a good driver. And I've seen the Z06 numbers in the upper to mid 12's. But I just don't see how it would be possible to shave a full second off of the 1/4 with just E85 tuned and whatever OEM upgrades there might be. He is convinced of this because he claims he saw a stock S2000, smoke a Z06 at the track and I looked at him like he was crazy. He said that at most, the guy had a performance tune but no aftermarket parts. For me, even with the tune, it is extremely hard to believe someone can shave a full second off by just that. Nevertheless, he will not concede and I do not know enough about the S2k's potential to either show him the light, or become enlightened myself. So if all of you kind members can chime in and either shut mine or his mouth for good, I would be very grateful.

EDIT: He just raised the stakes. He said he would be willing to race for pinks. Anyone with a Z06 who wants a new DD?
Heh. Is he in Texas by chance? I don't have a Z06, but I'll go buy the cheapest C5Z I can find, take his car then sell them both. If he wants to double down at a local road course for another go, I'll do that too
Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

With those listed mods an NA s2k stands NO chance against a c5 z06, your friend is on crack!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by UKXotics
Heh. Is he in Texas by chance? I don't have a Z06, but I'll go buy the cheapest C5Z I can find, take his car then sell them both. If he wants to double down at a local road course for another go, I'll do that too
Haha. Nah we hail from the West Coast in California. But I'll relay your offer. Maybe he is confident enough to make the drive lol.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
With those listed mods an NA s2k stands NO chance against a c5 z06, your friend is on crack!
Well I certainly hope he is not. But he has been overcome with a love for Honda that he just won't budge from his point of view. I mean sure Honda has excellent engineering and they are always looking for more efficiency over power, but an S2K, or any car for that matter, can only compete up to a certain point before it requires some serious mods like Forced Induction or an engine swap.

Quick Reply: N/A S2k AP1 (tuned E85/racing slicks) vs. '01 Z06