S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Ran a mid 90's 300z TT with mods...

Old 03-03-2003, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturday night I was taking my buddy along on a favorite short little stretch. It was the first time I really got into this car and I have to say, the '03 DEFINITELY has a little more kick and much better rear end set up than my '01 did. Anywhoo, as I came to the stop sign at the end of the stretch, a mid Red mid 90's TT Z with some mods(at the time I could clearly see aftermarket exhausts) went by to my right. I have been looking for a 350 to play with but thought I would run with this guy since he had some mods. I got to about 2.5 cars back from him at about 40 when he realized it and hit it. I dropped into 2nd and immediately began reeling him in. I got to about 1 car back at the beginning of 3rd when he changed lanes in front of me to go around slower traffic. I had to lift off a split second but as soon as I got back on, in he came again. By the drop into 4th I was dead even and was moving ahead. As the road went down a hill and to the right we had to shut it down hard because of a red light ahead.

I was very impressed with the way his car handled. When we shut it down, I had to brake pretty hard and my back end stepped out a bit because of the hill and the turn. He didn't seem to step out at all(however, I was on the inside lane so that makes a difference). At the light, I asked him what he did to the car besides the exhaust and he said something about the Turbo's, I couldn't really tell because the sound of traffic was so loud. He said that was the first time he had run an S2k and he was surprised at how well it did.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:24 PM

Old 03-03-2003, 01:47 PM

He musta reduced the boost.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:27 PM

I had a completely stock '94 300zx TT before I purchased my S2000. The 300zx was slightly faster ...bottom end ...top end and midrange. Handling and braking wise the S2000 is superior is every respect.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM

Hey not trying to hate on your story, but you could do that against a stock TT, don't know about a mod' one with "turbo" work, unless of course you have some serious work done to your car. I raced two stock Z32 TT's and have beat both in 0-85ish races, but that was stock. A stage III (which is cheap to do, Exhaust, Chip, and intake) should smoke you on any stright line races. NOW all that said, once it gets a little twisty the Z32's heavy body and somewhat antiqudate suspension would allow you to more then make up. But like I said I kinda doubt you "reeled him in" unless you have some serious mods and/or he really didn't do any power mods to his car.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:04 PM

A "modded" Z32 TT would hand you your ass. Sorry, but it will. Even a stock TT will give you a serious run.

And because you say you let off the throttle for a couple of seconds... Hmmm...
Old 03-04-2003, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LA-Z
[B]Hey not trying to hate on your story, but you could do that against a stock TT, don't know about a mod' one with "turbo" work, unless of course you have some serious work done to your car.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by alexf20c
And because you say you let off the throttle for a couple of seconds... Hmmm...
I never said I lett off the throttle for a couple seconds. I said I had to let off a second. In reality it was more like a split second lift.

... Hmmm...
Same old alex...
Old 03-04-2003, 10:12 AM

I will then say it was prob. not a turbo, I owned a 93 Z32TT and they were a bitch to launch, but from a roll, look out. At stage III+ you stomp on the gas in 2nd-3rd and you are doing rolling burnouts. There are a lot of TT pretenders, with the rear wing and everything. Best way to tell it to look at front bumper for the intercooler slits. The only other thing is he could have just an exhaust which by itself won't give that much extra power...
Old 03-04-2003, 10:16 AM

LOL Humanatek, you should try using smilies in your posts. It's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or a smartass. I don't know if I should expand on the joke or flame your ass!

Anyway, like LA-Z said, it might not have been a TT. You said the guy said something about "turbo," but that it was hard to decipher due to traffic noise. Perhaps he said he was NOT turbocharged?

Either way, an S2000 killing a 300ZX TT is possible, so good kill. There are, after all, shitty drivers; I once beat a WS-6 in my stock S2000. I should've lost but I guess the LS1 driver can't drive worth shit.

It's kinda like when you race someone you're sure you'll beat, so much so that you stay in 3rd gear even though you know you should use 2nd - and then you lose by a couple of car lengths...

Quick Reply: Ran a mid 90's 300z TT with mods...