S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2K CR VS 6.0 GTO

Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K CR VS 6.0 GTO

Well it was a nice night out and everybody who had a thing for cars all met up at a spot to watch some drag races. It was more of a slow night though. Some SRT-4's and GTP's here and there but ultimately nothing of great interest caught a lot of attention. Until that is, a 6.0 GTO lines up with a SRT-4 with some minor mods. At the line, it was a bit unorganized, nobody really lined them up or started the race. But either way, they went. The GTO actually stalled and killed it and the SRT-4 gave up and reversed back into line. So they go at it once more and the GTO actually has a decent launch. The SRT-4 whipped him with ease. I go up to the GTO owner to see whats up. In a nutshell, he was a nub. He had 2 other passengers beside himself and he had just got the car. So the little in me said, "This could be my first GTO kill!" haha. So, naturally, i asked him if he wanted to run against a puny 2.2 . He said sure and we line up. I was completely stoked until that is, i saw the previous owner of the GTO (small world, eh?) come up to the current owner and asked if he could show how its done. Unfortunately for me, the current owner obliged. The previous guy asked all the passengers to step out and told the puny current guy to hop in passenger side. He then continues to do a massive burnout to warm up his tires. Oh joy.... lol.. Anyhow, we line up and we get ready to launch. Now, i've never been to good at launching as i average a 2.3xx second 60 ft at the dragaway, so i thought that this wouldn't end to well. Usually what i do is i rev to 4k and baby the clutch out for my launch. This way i dont really risk blowing the diff but i still get to drag. BUT for the GTO i thought i'd change it up a bit. He revvs his big 6.0 to 2k and i go to a ball busting 6.5k. Arms go down and the race starts. No babying for this one, i dropped the bastard and i just take off. I put at least a cars length to 55mph/3rd gear until his torque kicks in and starts to catch up. To my suprise, he only beat me by 1/2 a car!! Even though i lost, i was completely satisfied with the results. The previous owner was actually suprised too cuz he knew quite a bit on s2k's. He wanted another go, and i gladly obliged. Another 6.5k drop and the car just gets off the line with no problems. Some ppl told me that my s2k reminded them of a EVO launch. I took it as a compliment . If my launch looks like a AWD launch, hey, i must be doing something right . Sadly tho, the GTO had a better launch this time and had me by a car. Either way, im uber happy that i know that i can actually keep up with a GTO 6.0. At its own game at that.

Sorry for the long story tho. My car stories always end up being super long tho. i find it fun to write car stories.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:39 AM

good job! sounds like a fun night for ya!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Old 05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by lilgookiemonsta,May 25 2009, 09:59 AM
Usually what i do is i rev to 4k and baby the clutch out for my launch. This way i dont really risk blowing the diff but i still get to drag.
Just so you know, more diffs are broken launching in the 4k range than launching above 6k. When you launch above 6k it is almost impossible to not get a little wheel spin which takes stress off the diff. When you launch at 4 and slip the clutch, the diff is absorbing way more stress because the tires are probably jsut hooking up and then the car bogs.

I have launched my 2 s2k's 100's of times stock, modded, and even 431whp

Launching above 6k has always worked for me. Clutch drop.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 9kFever,May 25 2009, 04:13 PM
Just so you know, more diffs are broken launching in the 4k range than launching above 6k. When you launch above 6k it is almost impossible to not get a little wheel spin which takes stress off the diff. When you launch at 4 and slip the clutch, the diff is absorbing way more stress because the tires are probably jsut hooking up and then the car bogs.

I have launched my 2 s2k's 100's of times stock, modded, and even 431whp

Launching above 6k has always worked for me. Clutch drop.
you dont even know how happy this post makes me
seriously.

you sir, are a newfound GOD in my book.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Too much detail to make this one up..

Cant wait for all the 's2ks cant beat GTOs in a drag race' guys to come by this..
Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136,May 25 2009, 09:41 PM
Too much detail to make this one up..

Cant wait for all the 's2ks cant beat GTOs in a drag race' guys to come by this..
he didn't say he beat, both times he lost
Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Sounds like the GTO driver just sucked or OP did an excellent job in launching and shifting.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM

6k launch ftw

I would keep up with my friends 6.0 till about 60 then thats when he would leave me like i was standing still.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 PM

I got my ass handed to me by a modded GTO on two highway speed rolls when I was on the 5psi CTSC pulley making ~270whp.

Got my ass handed to me bad. A bus length.

Never had the chance to race a close to stock one while I was close to stock.

Quick Reply: S2K CR VS 6.0 GTO