S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Saturday night kills, Feb 16th. (long)

Old 02-19-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saturday night kills, Feb 16th. (long)

Saturday night was a boatload of fun, as always. It seems to get a little pressure from the cops around here though so maybe I shouldn't post this.. ahh, what the hell! But if you notice a decline in my posts, hopefully you know why..

Pappy and I are riding together, and we show up to location A. Not a car in sight when this lot is normally full of 'show cars'. Couple of cops cruising through the lot like sharks in a pool so we decide to head on out to location B. Occupants? One lone police car. So we head on out to the bridge, a 2 mile stretch perfect for "driving the safe and legal speed limit" across, as it stretches across two counties so police have to radio to the dispatch for permission to radio the other counties dispatch to note someone heading across the bridge. Technical reasons aside - it's hard for the police to police this stretch.

We go out and Whoa!, there's where everyone's been camping out. The supra guys (most of them anyway) stayed home tonight but there was plenty of other domestic and import people hanging out.. maybe 50-70 cars and some bikes. So anyway, the races..

On the way there we see a nice shiny silver 98-00ish vette pulling out so we slow waaaayyyy down in the right lane for him. He finally does pull out but doesn't really see me ("another ricer ") and blows by me at at least 40 mph faster. I zoom up to catch him and match his speed at about 70. We both punch it and from 70-110 (3rd and 4th gear) he disappears into my window by around 3-4 lengths. For a 5 second race, that's plenty quick. He zooms by again (ricer-fly-by?) and I punch it again, catching up real quick (even though he's WOT) and am forced to step on the brakes even as I change lanes to get behind him. We get into the same lanes again and he asks me "how long have I had it?".. Thinking he meant the turbo, I said about 6 months, where he kinda rolled his eyes and drove away. Some people are just born domestic lovers and there ain't nothing you are gonna do or say to change it.

We get there and are hanging around for a while, another vette pulls in, this one red. Looks stock. I ask the guy for a race and he declines, "in this car". He'll bring his other car, but it's fast. "How fast? 12 seconds? 11 seconds? 10 seconds?". "8 seconds". I mutter and go looking for other races.

I find a couple mustangs, one a N/A 85' 5.0 that was kind of fun. He's going S/C soon but for the time being I had the upper hand. We raced about 3 times, each of which I pulled several lengths, no sweat.

Found another one, a 95'ish green body style that was, from what I heard, an 11 second car. We raced from a roll at about 45 mph to about 115, and I pulled about one length, maybe two. We raced again from a stop and all that time at the track paid off - I hooked right up and left him on the line spinning his tires.. I think he let off the throttle at about 80, 2-3 lengths back. He was really good natured about it, and I would definitely like to race him again. He actually decided (when we were across the bridge by now) to just continue on home as it was getting late.. We like to say we scared him straight home, he couldn't show his face. Just jokingly of course, though.

We spent some more time looking but couldn't find anyone else willing to race us.. well, anyone worthy of racing us; there was a guy in a modded BMW 830(?) (diesel?) with 'cams' and 'intake' and 'exhaust' mods putting down "260 horse". "What kinda cars you beat?", he asks me, continuing without waiting for a response, "Oh, I eat up mustangs. Cobras. Corvettes. Yeah I own them all. You think you can beat me?". Of course, he wants to take a look at my car so I point him in the direction while I continue talking to someone. I come back and hey hey hey, he's opened my hood for me and is leaning on it looking into the bay. Keep your hands on your own merchandise, mister. Then he gives me the "Oh, bro, it's all good, I'm like that with my ride." You are? Why don't you treat mine like it then? Anyway, needless to say I didn't feel like racing this twit.. Later on he and his friends take off (getting the feeling I probably wasn't too pleased) and to showboat, mash on the throttle in the dusty turn-out onto the highway. What happened? You guessed it, fishtail 90 degrees left, recovery fishtail 90 degrees right. For about a split second, we all stared at his car with our jaws on the floor and our hands folded in prayer: "OH PLEASE PLEASE!!!".... but alas, he recovered and didn't spin out into the median or side of the road. Ah well, life has it's letdowns. We all had a good giggle over it and maybe I'm just being verbose, but I thought it was worth adding.

So we head back to a gas station, and guess what? We get the best races of the night.. a silver steeda 00' or 01' GT stang, if there is such a thing. It looks like a GT with the exception of a small steeda logo where the ford logo is on the back. This is actually the same guy who got pulled over when me and him were goofing around on another bridge a while back. His post (from a couple weeks ago) is here: http://65.108.165.74/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cg...f=1&t=005124&p= Bottom line, he didn't get a ticket since they didn't have their radar on. We raced again a few times and pretty much split races. It was very difficult to get a good clean start since we would go from a roll - with a big s/c like his delivering all kinds of torque at low rpms, you can just mash the throttle and have 95% of your power. The turbo has to spin up considerably more.. It's quick, maybe only a half second or so but it's just too hard to launch from a roll and launch at exactly the same time. The other problem is that these cars accellerate so quickly that a mere split second difference in starting can equate to a half length. We raced 5 times I believe, splitting races all the time. First him, then me, then him. 4th race we decide to go again and something bad happens to me, the throttle cuts out HARD (like that feeling if you hit the rev limiter while under temperature) and I ease off.. Car sounds fine, I just think that I missed 2nd gear or something, so we do one last race, and I don't even think about it (more on this later). The final race turned out to be the best one of all. The only way we could have a fair race is if we went from a complete stop (even though I told him I usually don't do this on the street.. no need to bust some axles!). We come to a complete stop, and immediately start revving - it was a real pleasure to race against someone who didn't need to stop, get ready, count to 3, eat a mcmuffin, and get READY - and I say, READY! SET! GO! and we BOTH had a perfect reaction time, my tires are spinning, his tires are spinning... SCREEEE, and bam, he just hooks about a split second before me. Literally I think my wheels spun about 4 revolutions and his spun about 3. His car jumps out to about a half length and we hang TIGHT together.. 1st.. 2nd.. 3rd.. 4th.. and part of 5th, dead even. Going back and forth a little bit, and MAYBE I was gaining on him a touch, but it was just too hard to tell. Had we been at the track, our 1/4 mile times would have been VERY close. But he did win, took the cake for the night with the last race. Excuses aside, the person across the finish line first is the winner.

Anyway, about the 'missed 2nd gear' thing. I find out later that oops, I lost a bolt. All for a good race, right?

Whew, that was a little exciting, I'm getting excited sitting here reliving it and typing it, maybe Pappy'll chime in and add his perspective to it, I tried to lay it out as honestly as it happened, with dabbles of artistic license. There's another thread on the issue but I'm too lazy to look it up. Hope this post was entertaining, lemme know if I crammed too much garbage in here.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:33 PM

Yeah, you're gonna snap an axle...no doubt.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Banned

Sounds like a helluva fun night!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:24 PM

wow, sounds like you had fun.

I would have killed the guy for touching the car though. What a punk

Take care!
Old 02-19-2002, 05:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shizon'00
[B]wow, sounds like you had fun.

I would have killed the guy for touching the car though.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:50 PM

Now that's more like it. You and Wesmaster have the best kill stories and represent the S2K's to the fullest IMO, so keep um coming!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 11:03 PM

I don't think there was a boring moment in all of that night!

Like Chris said, the mustang race was the best. I talked to the guy before about his car, and he is laying down 405 rwhp! You have to give Chris credit for staying dead even and sometimes beating that stang with his 340 rwhp. I know the S2000 is lighter, but a 65 rear horsepower difference is alot!

That kid with the bimmer was such a cocky prick. I would be too if I had a riced out 87 bimmer I couldn't believe he just opened the hood on someone else's car! I wish you guys could have seen Chris's face.

I think it's time for Wes and Chris to have a little battle. The two big boys going at it.... But I think Wes, Chris and I already know what is going to happen! (Sorry wes, had to take a shot at you, lol)

Old 02-20-2002, 05:19 AM

damn dude...wish we had that sort of scene here....and I hope you can type with all your 10 fingers
Old 02-20-2002, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by Pappy
But I think Wes, Chris and I already know what is going to happen!
If we ran right now, I'm 100% sure I'd only see tail lights. It would be a much more interesting race after a boost upgrade, on my car, that is.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:03 AM

Heh, since two people PMed me that I type too much, sorry, next time it'll be like this:

Saturday we went out and raced almost everyone.

just kidding.. Just wanted to add a little addendum, last night we were out (with the last of the race gas ) and we ran into an older 85ish stang that was pretty modified.. you could hear that gurgle of an exhaust and open headers.. had some wide wheels on the bottom.. Anyway, we chase it through traffic a bit just playing with it, trying to find a nice light or something. Finally, as luck would have it, we pulled up behind him at a light with another 95-98 modified stang in the right lane. As we rev at each other, we see the 4 people in stang #2 over to right give us a little rev to say, yep, I'm in too. The light goes green, stang #1 pulls out in front and gets into the center lane, I pull up into the left, stang #2 pulls up to the right.. and we GUN it. Needless to say those were a couple of quick cars, but the ts2k continues to surprise. We pulled about 2 lengths on #1 and 4 lengths on #2 in a 10-80ish mph race. stang owner #1 gave me the "That bitch is QUICK! " with the smiling and nodding and a good time was had by all.

Quick Reply: Saturday night kills, Feb 16th. (long)