S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Stock rx-7 series 6/7 vs my S

Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock rx-7 series 6/7 vs my S

Driving through my home town of 70,000 is always interesting.. Its a small country town which generally breeds crappy people since there isnt much to do but drink, fight, or get someone pregnant.

The town also doesnt get much of the "outside world" and hardly anyone has seen an S in person before, if ever. The car enthusiast crew consists of rednecks with huge pickups, or ricers with old civics or integras covered in zip ties and vinyl stickers.

I was down for the weekend visiting my parents and was on my way to my dads with a friend riding passenger. I was just leaving the limits of the town when I see the ricer crew leaving a jack in the box parking lot. All of them were heading in the opposite direction except for a Saturn Ion with a body kit and a stock RX-7 covered in dirt who decided to trail me. The ion pulls up beside me as I am cruising about 50 and I see that hes on his phone. I look in the rear view and see the rx7 hauling ass (also on the phone) behind me and swerves around my car in the yellow turn lane driving pretty wrecklessly as he passes me.

The Ion speeds up to catch up to his buddy and they both slow down.. I am very hesitant to bite at this point because I know that these are kids who arent afraid to drive balls out, and I have a Lee Enfield mkII, and M1 Garand, a tin box of assorted ammo, and a chocolate birthday cake in the trunk... All of which I dont want to mix..

As I exit the city limits still rolling around 60 in 5th gear, i see that the ion and the rx7 are in the right lane waiting on me.. I see that the highway is open for quite a while, so I say my prayers and dive in.

I pull up to the rx7 and drop to 4th to get his attention.. The kid is looking at my car and I can tell that he didnt care if he won or lost, he just wanted to race an S. I gave him 2 honks, and dropped to 3rd as I gave the third honk.

3rd gear for me went quick, and I didnt pull away like I expected (honestly wasnt sure what to expect). During that shift he was pulling away and I could see his rear tire, but I caught back up. By the time it came for me to shift into 5th, my side view mirror was right at the front of his front tire and I thought that I had him. I shift into 5th trying to make it a quick but I ended up missing, and by the time I got it in he was a full car on me so I cut off.

I was also coming up on my turn so i honked as if to say "good run" and put on my blinker. The ion finally passed (he didnt keep up to well..) and saw me turning.

I pulled over at a little store on the side of the road to wait for my friend who was following me to my dads whom I completely forgot about (lol) and saw that the rx7 and ion had turned around to come park and check out the S.

I was honestly kind of let down in my S at this point wondering wth went wrong and feeling buyers remorse for the NA bolt-ons when I should have went FI. The rx7 driver gets out and is just pacing around my S with an appreciative look. He told me he saw my S and just HAD to race it. I was kinda shocked when he told me his rx7 was 100% stock and put down over 250hp as I didnt know that they were that powerful. That made me feel a little better. I was even more shocked when he told me that he was in 3rd gear the whole race. I have a feeling even if I would have grabbed 5th he might have pulled me if he went for 4th.

Anyways, thats my lose. Mods in sig.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea even a factory RX7 is pretty tough car. Good race though.

On another note you just had the idea that most of us have had. "why did I not save up and just go FI?!?!" I was there and of course went FI so worth it and makes the S very advantageous little booger
Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, those RX7's are pretty fast little cars, even stock.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep FD Rx7's had 255 hp to be exact. 0-60 in 4.9 if memory serves.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM

*BONK* u cudda had a TURBO!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 AM

hey allen. cool story and im glad that the kids ended up not being ricer"ish" even though the body kit ion gets an auto pass in that dept.

but i daily my S, have no goals for FI. but if you go that route, goodluck
Old 12-10-2010, 04:23 AM

start the race around 50 or 70.. 60 is our weak spot on the freeway. too long for 2nd, barely fast enough for 3rd... 50 will get you to the top powerband of 2nd, you'll pull a LOT of cars at that speed. They'll make up for it on the 2-3 shift but when they have to shift you'll gain some ground. By the 3-4 shift, if you arent ahead you'll most likely lose ground since the s2000 is quick, not fast.

Surprised the RX7 caught you though, good race!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice story. How'd the cake end up?