S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

'02 S with 'Check Emissions' Light and it is NOT the gas tank cover

Old 08-30-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 S with 'Check Emissions' Light and it is NOT the gas tank cover

Greetings,

Skipping all the gushing of a 1st time poster (let's just pretend this goes on for a few pages) and getting right to my question:

Three months ago I bought an '02 that had been sitting on the dealers lot for almost a year. It had 96 miles on it with another 30 for my test drive. Three weeks ago while doing the normal hard driving acceleration the 'Check Emissions/Engine' light came on.

Being a guy, I immediately pulled over, checked everything I could and then drove sheepishly home.

I checked the forums learned about the gas cap problem and made sure it was on nice and tight. Two days later when the light was still on I brought my baby to the dealership.

They plugged it into the computer and found a bad sensor on the exhaust (ie, nothing major). Replaced the sensor and returned the car.

I had to drive about 150miles the next week and shortly after the start of the trip the light came back on. I also noticed that the acceleration wasn't what it should be. Not horrible but not the reason I bought the car.

The dealer's second fix happened this week. They replaced the computer chip as it seemed nothing mechanical was wrong.

I picked up the car today, let her warm up while driving at low speeds and then opened her up. The acceraltaion was perfect and I once again knew joy.

It was a 5mile drive from the dealership and then my baby sat for a few hours before I had another trip to make. This was an in town trip but I do not drive hard until the engine temp is 3 ticks up. Once warmed up I pushed it pretty hard down back streets, turns, etc. Heading home I noticed the check light back on.

Any ideas?

I trust my dealership but since I live in a rural massachusetts town they have only sold 4 S2000s and I wonder if they're missing something.

Thanks
Joe
Old 08-30-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two words for you..."Lemon Law" Maybe there's a reason why an '02 has been sitting on their lot for a year with only 100 miles on it.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:07 PM

Sorry, thanks for the thought but I don't buy that one. This is a dealership that my family and I have been buying cars from for years (Grand parents, parents, siblings, etc.) They are one of the few dealerships I semi-trust.

The service manager is just as concerned as I am and since this is all under warranty is isn't costing me a dime and just taking up their mechanics time.

However since they don't sell many of the S2000 I am I was hoping someone here might be able to offer some pointers.

Joe
Old 08-30-2003, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will see what the Helm's manual has to say.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:19 PM

It looks like you will need to get the DTC (diagnostic test code) for us to help in any meaningful way. I saw nothing in the way of an emissions code or check emissions light? There are quite a few codes, however and these should point you to a fix.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Former Moderator

There's so many things it could be. Pull the code as boiler stated. Btw, from reading your post it doesn't seem like you are taking the proper directions in break-in the engine.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:03 AM

Here's the technical details of this problem as per the report from the shop:

Code 1457 - Bypass solenoid and 2 way valve-replaced Test system-All diags pass with scanner

replace the pcm and road test multiple times. Light did not reoccur. Original PCM defective.

I am not much of an automechanic anymore so this doesn't mean too much to me. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-31-2003, 06:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JSmooth
[B]Here's the technical details of this problem as per the report from the shop:

Code 1457 - Bypass solenoid and 2 way valve-replaced
Old 08-31-2003, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it on to the mechanics. I thought it might be something simple because the car seems to be running fine.

Could you give a more detailed description on the filing process?

Or would you recommend replacing the cap?
Old 08-31-2003, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JSmooth
[B]Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: '02 S with 'Check Emissions' Light and it is NOT the gas tank cover