S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2 words : It broke

Old 10-14-2000, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll spare you anymore whining since a select few are just jerks, but I'll give you the details.

I decided to bring my car into Autoway Honda in Clearwater FL today to have the rear end/differential problem addressed (along with TSB55). I drove it easily, careful to avoid any hard shifts or abrubt starts. It was whining away the whole time

Finally, nearly to the dealership (about 20 miles), the whining was getting louder. I headed onto the Courtney Campbell Causeway (which connects Tampa to Clearwater). Midway, in the middle of traffic on a road surrounded by water on both sides, a loud explosion came out of nowhere, from the rear. I was cruising at 60mph at the time. I pulled to the side of the road, rear end screaming and clunking very loudly. Must have been cool to hear the destruction from outside . I got out of the car, and called my friend who was fortunately following me to tell him to turn around and pick me up. I looked underneath, and fluid was draining out of the "pumpkin"...onto the exhaust, and ground. A small chunk of metal was in with it. This rear end's history.

AAA came in about an hour. During that time, I stood on the beach, skipping stones to pass the time. It could have happened at a worse place I suppose. I got the car to the dealership just as it was closing. I managed to convince one of the techs cleaning up to allow me to push the car inside to avoid letting it sit outside all weekend. I filled out the night drop envelope. Under description, I just told them to call me for details.

Just thought I'd keep you all informed on the saga. Anybody else have theirs replaced? Interested in knowing how long it took, and how you were treated.
Old 10-14-2000, 08:56 PM

Sorry to hear about your now undifferentiated differential. I know that if I start to hear any funny sounds, it's a flat bed for me. Let the dealer put all new parts in your S2K, and you'll be as good as new. You probably won't want to do anything to void your warranty though.

2x6spds
Old 10-14-2000, 09:00 PM
dbw

not my call, but i would have had it flatbedded to the dealership......60 mph with a shakey rear end=taking it easy??..i dunno..
Old 10-14-2000, 09:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear it gave out. I hope Honda gets it fixed quickly for you.
Old 10-14-2000, 09:03 PM

I did have it flatbedded...after it spit it's internals onto SR60 I called them, they advised me to drive it in, and since it DID make it 80 miles yesterday, I figured it would make it. Guess not. Thank God for warrenties.
Old 10-14-2000, 09:08 PM

Another mini-story while I was in the dealership today.

They had a red 00 in the showroom. I inquired as to it's price, and the salesman replied "Only 38k, she's definately where it's at!" I replied "Yeah, I got one, it's in your garage right now b/c the rear end blew out. I also only paid 34k for mine." He could only smile.
Old 10-14-2000, 10:41 PM

Dude, that SUCKS!!!Hope your dealer will fix everything right 4 u...Did you ask the sales guy if you can use the RED S2000 on the floor for loaner
Old 10-14-2000, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks dude Not how I like to spend time with my car.
Old 10-15-2000, 02:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bummer! Let us know how she drives after the surgury. I hope that a new drivetrain puts the glow back in the relationship for you.
Old 10-15-2000, 04:10 AM

This is at least the third differential that I have heard about breaking. Did you have any rear tire problems that might have heated the differential up?

Quick Reply: 2 words : It broke